Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - MichaelR
Hey all,

I don't know if they need replacing or not but given the reasonably low cost of doing so I thought it would be prudent to replace both front wishbones, including bushes, on my 1999 Mk2 Ford Mondeo 2.0.

I have found a source for the wishbones, but I am given two choices of size:

w/FUEL INJ SAL,EST,HATCH FITTED w/54mm FRONT WISHBONE BUSH

w/FUEL INJ SAL,EST,HATCH FITTED w/47mm FRONT WISHBONE BUSH

I have no idea which my car has, all other sources for this part don't make any mention of two different types, and nobody on MEG knows either.

Under the 47mm section, it says:

'(REPLACES EARLIER TYPE LEFT)'
'(REPLACES EARLIER TYPE RIGHT)'

Leading me to assume that both parts fit, but the later part replaced the earlier part.

Anyone got any ideas?
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - bikemade3
Don't know but you can buy the OE parts on E bay, There is a link to ford parts and genuine OE items come in at about £51 a side. You can buy pattern parts you can get them cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - Civic8
Give them the chassis/no,that will sort it out
--
Steve
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - kithmo
Providing you're changing the wishbones complete and not just the bushes, it doesn't matter which ones you fit. The 47mm and 54mm are just the bush sizes. IIRC they just changed the rear bush size.
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - bell boy
waste of time doing the bushes on a mondy, fit a good quality arm and forget.
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - MichaelR
Thats what I'm doing, replacing the entire wishbone inc bushes.

Given that I'm doing this, it doesnt matter what size the bushes are?

Whats the pros and cons of each size then, they are both the same price which should I get ;)
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - Galaxy
Sorry that I don't know the answer.

However, I do know that most people advise against buying pattern parts for these items. They don't last five minutes and, very soon, you'll be doing the job again.

Genuine Ford parts only should be used.

Also, unless you're going to give yourself an awful lot of extra work, you need to purchase a new nut and bolt for the nearside wishbone, since the original needs to be cut off to remove it.

Ford don't recommend doing this but this is what most people doing this job do. The alternative is to lower the front subframe, which isn't very easy.

Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - Carrow
It's harsh to say that all pattern arms don't last. Fit a good quality arm from the likes of FAI, Delphi, Firstline or Quinton Hazell & you should have no problems. I work in a motor factor & in 2 years of selling Mondeo arms, only one has come back under warranty. That's not to say that there aren't dodgy arms out there, look for a trade recognised brand & ASK if you are not sure, these are safety items after all.
Mk2 Mondeo front wishbone size? - murphy
I believe front suspension wishbone arms with a 54mm bush is a Ford upgrade. Best to fit these