A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - gav
Wow, I thought, did own (and still have, luckily) a 1992 Scorpio Cosworth.
Got a great deal on Friday, a 1996 Omega 2.5CDX Auto for just over a grand. £1400 to be precise.. The car was owned by the Northern Ireland Office, and unfortunately had been armour plated at one stage. It has been used to transport Civil Servants about.
With 102k, knocking bushings, a loss on power at low revs, loosing coolant through the water pump, warped brake discs.
What Have I done
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - crazed
was in edinburgh not so long ago, and was amazed at the number of people on the public payroll involved with the scottish parliament who are entitled to an omega and driver, the cars and drivers wait patiently for them ourside the bars etc

I'd be interested to know how many "VIPs" the scottish and welsh parliaments created, who are now entitled to a car and driver at our expense
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - robert
This may help:

Front Disks (per pair) = £141.00 + Vat
New pads (per axle pair) = £19.40 +Vat
Labour for pads/disks = 1.25 hours (total)
If you need new front wheel bearings these are £94.00 each + vat
Front wishbone bushes are £140 per side + vat
Labour - about an hour per side.
Water pump = £48.00+ vat - not sure on the labour

All prices are Vauxhall retail prices - you can get much cheaper

Not sure what the sluggish running could be. FSH?

Regards
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - Big Vern
This car is likely to have spent a lot of time stationary with its engine running, so 102k will not be a good measure of engine wear and the suspension & brakes will have taken a hammering due to the extra weight of the armour even though it is unlikely to have been thrashed.
First line of attack to solve the loss of power may be to change oil and use a good engine flush before you drain the old oil and then again after 1000 miles. Moving to fully synthetic oil will also act as a flush, but it is important to do another oil change 1000 or so miles after starting to use sythetic oil to get rid of the stuff it has cleaned. This may or may not help, but an easy and realitivly cheap option to rule out before more expensive investigation.

Also is there any odd leds still fitted to the dash??

Hope the car turns out to be the great deal you thought it was.
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - Big Vern
Had another thought, is the car fitted with standard air con? as a 1996 I assume so.
However if not it will have had aftermarket air con fitted, and is likely to be hard wired on. If no switch on the dash for air con, you can check by looking under the bonnet for silvery insulated pipes and listen for the tell tele wirring noise from the compressor for the guts of a minute after starting from cold.
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - Phil
www.auto-vaux.com is the place for rock bottom prices on Vauxhall parts. Just ordered a load of stuff for my Carlton. Seems good.
As it is a CDX it is bound to have aircon. Top of the range apart from those ultra-expensive ELITE models.
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - ian (cape town)
Armour plate?
Sheesh! I'll have that off you!
Are the windows still bulletproof, or have they been replaced by standard? (No problems with cracks or break ins, but armorglass does go brown VERY quickly with age, and to re-fit with standard glass means refitting the entire runner and window trim).
Hope this helps.
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - Steve G
The knocking you describe could be the water pump -especially if the pump is leaking water.
Just a thought...
Wow, the usefuleness of having a correspondant from SA never ceases to amaze. Who else could provide an insight into the ageing of armoured glass? ;)
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - David W
Mark in Brazil?

David
Re: A LEGGY OMEGA FOR A GRAND - Dave
...and LAS must have some info on bullet proof glass from his SAS days back in 'Nam...