Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - Rob S
Have now got to the bottom of the story, the material deposited on the car is a slurry of road surfacing resulting from slot cutting operations with diamond cutters , not resurfacing work as I first thought. Inevitably there must be some abrasive material included which if removed by rubbing could well damage the paintwork. I don't think that a pressure washer will remove it.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - ian (cape town)
a big heavy foam (w/up liquid) sponged all over it, and them blow off at a VERY acute angle with an air spray. Then wash/wax as per usual.
The foam should prevent too much abrasion.
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - Simon
Don't use washing up liquid as this is one of the worst substances that will take the shine off your paintwork if used over a period of time.
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - ChrisR
Washing up liquid contains quite a lot of salt (as per dishwasher salt), so putting it on cars is a bad idea. Surely proprietary car washing soap should do the trick.

Chris
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - ian (cape town)
Bubbles, bubbles!
The idea was to use the foam, which will also take off a bit of polish (to which the gunge may have stuck), and then re-polish/wax.
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - Jimmy Jimenez
Guess we're spoiled here in New York - every auto parts shop sells Bug and Tar Remover. Dab in on, wipe it off. Elapsed time 30 seconds. No fuss, no muss!
Re: Effects of tar on paintwork 2 - Rob S
Only trouble is the amount there is - there isn't a panel without some on and the front resembles a coat worthy of Cruella de Ville! As mentioned, it's not just tar, there will be bits of diamond stone cutter blade which I think will leave a scratched surface if rubbed at all.

The advice given has been helpful, I should be able to get it sorted now.

Rob