Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - martint123
I didn't realise that the powers that be tried to enforce a move to renewable photo licenses.

www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/28/lords_voluntary_i.../

The Telegraph also reports a little-noticed reversal in the Lords for the Government last month, when peers rejected plans to invalidate and recall all old style paper driving licences. For new licences and replacements, these were replaced by photocard licences some years ago, but whereas photocard licences need to be renewed regularly, the old style non-photo licences remain, under current legislation, valid until such time as the bearer finds it necessary to replace it (e.g. on moving house).

The Government had included a clause on "Compulsory surrender of old-form licences" in the Road Safety Bill, but opposition peers suspected that the Government could be planning to make the driving licence a "designated document" under the ID card scheme, eventually making it necessary to have an ID card in order to obtain a driving licence. Peers also feared that ultimately all existing licences, including the current generation of photocard licence, could be withdrawn as the licence database was integrated with the ID scheme.

Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - Pugugly {P}
Thank goodness that the unelected chamber actually stands up for us !
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - bell boy
here. here.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - Happy Blue!
Thats the whole point - unelected = no 'agenda' about staying in power at all costs and as long as its a revising chamber, the House of Lords is the best opposition we will ever get.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - Cliff Pope
Thats the whole point - unelected = no 'agenda' about staying
in power at all costs and as long as its a
revising chamber, the House of Lords is the best opposition we
will ever get.
--

>

And of course, the hereditaries had even less agenda. They didn't even have to suck up to anyone to get there in the first place - just selected entirely at random by accident of birth.

BTW - this has nothing whatever to do with motoring.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - spikeyhead {p}
Interestingly, the new lot in th lords reject more of what comes out of teh commons than the old lot ever did.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - tack
If I took my old pink licence out of my wallet right now, it would fall to pieces. I had to present it as ident' at a bank recently. It was shocking, so I guess it won't be long before I have to apply for the quasi-identity card/licence.

Actually, I still also have my little red booklet driving licence, looks quite cute in an olde worlde England sort of way.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - cockle {P}
Pink 'un, tack?

As far as I'm concerned that's a new licence, I'm still on my green one issued in 1978, it expires in 2027 and that's when I intend to change it, regardless of condition, until they change their minds about wanting to charge me for changing it.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - mjm
I've got both.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - henry k
>>I'm still on my green one issued in 1978, it expires in 2027
and that's when I intend to change it, regardless of condition,
until they change their minds about wanting to charge me for changing it.

>>
If you need an international driving licence each year then it soon becomes cost effective to swop over to a photo version.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - madf
Never mind, you can rely on the Government's new IT system for ID cards and licenses to get most of it wrong.

I'm sorry Mr Madf, you live in Wormwood Scrubs according to our records serving a life sentence for kerb crawling...around Bognor Regis at 7amm on 3rd December 1922...
madf
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - Stonk
I really must change over to the photo license but only for the reason that my really old one is in tatters. Who cares if they are ID cards in disguise? We should all have those anyway. I have nothing to hide and it's pros far outweigh it's cons.
Compulsory surrender of paper licenc - quizman
ID cards in disguise? We should all have those anyway. I have nothing to hide and it's pros far outweigh it's cons.

We are already becomming a police state, ID cards will make it more so.
The state are there to serve me, not the other way round.