Severe Weather Warning. - Pugugly {P}
A spokesman said: "There is potential for several centimetres of snow to occur widely, and in excess of 15cm in a few locations, with Kent and parts of East Anglia most vulnerable to the heavier falls.

"Icy roads will be an additional hazard. Some travel disruption is expected."

He added there was an 80% risk of flakes falling between late on Boxing Day to Wednesday night in South East England; a 70% chance in East Anglia and Lincolnshire; a 50% risk of flakes in the North East.

There was only a 40% chance in the Midlands, Eastern Scotland and central southern England, and a 20% chance in North West England, Wales, and South West England.

The risk across the rest of the UK is less than 20%

From Sky News Website.

Lucky I defragged the Land Rover using that software I found here
Severe Weather Warning. - Civic8
>>Some travel disruption is expected

"Yes" those 4x4 drivers will carry on tailgating and causing accidents,they forget they cannot stop on ice and snow like they can on dry road :(
--
Steve
I won't though
Severe Weather Warning. - blue_haddock
I'm not bothered - this time tomorrow i'll be in Norway!
Norway - snowin' there as well.
Severe Weather Warning. - Stuartli
Amazing how the south seems to get all the snow these days...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Severe Weather Warning. - Imagos
I live right in the (alleged) thick of it!!

All excited now!!!!!!!
>>Amazing how the south seems to get all the snow these days...:-)
Not had much snow at all south of thames-though surrey -furthest corners of Kent had a fair bit last time, wind is in right direction this time assuming they are correct. But as for drivers Well need I say more
--
Steve
Severe Weather Warning. - storme
we get 1 day of snow...and it makes national news??????

weird......

its xmas...just stay in
--
www.storme.co.uk
we get 1 day of snow...and it makes national news??????>>

Depends on where you live. The north could be experiencing blizzards but on the national TV news it might get a 20 or 30 seconds mention. Oh, alright, up to a minute then.

But let half-a-inch of snow fall on the capital or in the south and it's up to half-an-hour's whinging and whining about how the populace, transport systems, businesses etc of the area have been badly affected....:-)

Severe Weather Warning. - madf
I predict a rash of cars going straight ahead at roundabouts as muppets don't know that snow or ice has an impact on cornering and braking.

I'm sorry southerners have to have such a tough winter like wot we hardy Midlanders have every year. Separates the men from the boys or did Darwin say something about improving the species?
:-)

madf
Severe Weather Warning. - Oz
I predict a rash of cars going straight ahead at roundabouts

I live at the bottom of a hill and predict the usual entertainment by those who think they can scale the hill, having had to stop halfway up, in order to wait for the traffic in front of them to clear.

Oz (as was)
Severe Weather Warning. - Altea Ego
Depends on where you live?

yes because we all know that when you get north of watford

1/ the people dont speak english
2/ they dont have televisions.

hence there is no need to discuss anything about "there be dragons" country on TV.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Severe Weather Warning. - Adam {P}
What's "Sky Website"?

>>yes because we all know that when you get north of watford>>

No originality forthcoming then...:-)
No originality forthcoming then...:-)

only the road south.....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Severe Weather Warning. - storme
i come from the south,,,poole dorset...and yes we are soft....

that is what i meant...15 minutes of light snow and all hell breaks loose.....

i just get up 1/2 an hr earlier a drive to work at 6am,,,when no-one else is up...and its fun/lovely :)

in my rear wheel drive car......but its the same wherever you are...1 day of snow and the country comes to a standstill

who can remember the winter of 76???
--
www.storme.co.uk
Severe Weather Warning. - tr7v8
Nowt to do with MUCH higher traffic densities in the SE & very high levels of commercials & lot of them foreign would it?

JIm
Severe Weather Warning. - Vansboy
SOUNDS FUN!!!!

Maybe I'll be able to find out what the Omegas, 'SNOWFLAKE' icon, on the button, next to the gearlever, means!!

For some reason my Maestro van never had such things - did have excellent traction, though!!

VB
>>who can remember the winter of 76???

I do,but for vehicle accidents I think 91 was worst year.
1963 I think worst winter of all down south?
--
Steve
Severe Weather Warning. - Doc
1963 I think worst winter of all down south?
--

I remember it well.

From Met. Office:

From Boxing Day 1962 to early March 1963, much of England was continuously under snow.

The most remarkable feature of the 1962/63 winter was not so much its snowiness as its coldness. The winter of 1947 was snowier than 1962/63, but not as cold.

In January 1963, there were 25 or more air frosts almost everywhere in southern England and south Wales. In February 1963, air frost occurred every night at Durham, and almost every night in the English Midlands. At several stations in southern England and south Wales, mean maximum temperatures were below 0 °C in January and little higher in February. Mean minimum temperatures were well below freezing almost everywhere in England, Wales and Scotland away from coasts. Extremely low temperatures were recorded - for example, a minimum of -22.2 °C was recorded at Braemar on 18 January.

Lakes and rivers froze. Ice formed on harbours in the south and east of England. Patches of ice formed on the sea. Huge blocks of ice formed on beaches where waves broke and the spray froze. Coastal marine life suffered severely.

The coldest winter over England and Wales since 1740.

>>The coldest winter over England and Wales since 1740.>>

1947 was pretty grim.....

Such weather conditions over a period of many years, indeed centuries, demonstrate the absurdity of much of the scaremongers' "global warming" theories.

There have always been unusual weather patterns.
Severe Weather Warning. - Vansboy
As a 5year old, it was fun, in 62/63 - (keeping motoring) I remember we used to save the ash, from the fireplace & lay it onto the tyre tracks, left in the road, outside, to help??? the vehicles, get a better grip.

Not that there was too much traffic, in the side dtreets, of Luton, back then.

The one thing that I clearly recall, that amazed me,(remember having a refrigerateor back then, was indeed, a luxury,) was putting the plastic inserts, from Mums Christmas Milk Tray chocolates, ouside & discovering I could make ice cubes!!!My passion for cold drinks has remained, ever since!!

Now we could use the Climate Control, in modern vehicles, to do the same job - almost - & even a heater was optional extra, on some cars, back then!!!!

& we complain if the central heating packs up, in summer!!

VB
Severe Weather Warning. - oldgit
Great fun for me in the winter of 1963. I was young man then, with all the false confidence that such an age confers and a fearless driver and I used to go out in my Mk1 Austin Healey Sprite and look for trouble.

It was so continuously cold that the dip-slope springs that spawns the Keston Ponds' lakes near me, were safely frozen and I donned my skates (not driving in them I might add) and swept the debris from these notorioulsy deep lakes, and had great fun skating all over them - made a change from Silver Blades Ice Rink at Streatham .

My Sprite was, of course, fitted with that optional extra heater whose only temperature control on the 'A' series engine, was a screw tap on the cyclinder head block - the former's gasket always developed a leak and needed frequent changing.

What happy days then in contrast to nowadays when I'm ridden with sufficient nerves to make it difficult for me to drive in such conditions despite the fact that my new car has every conceivable traction assistance control under the sun!

Why do we have to get old??
>>Keston Ponds' lakes near me, were safely frozen and I donned my skates

You was brave,I know them well.Many a swimmer been drowned there,Bromley rads still down the road from them in the village?not used them in several years but good company, could make up any radiator you wanted
--
Steve
Severe Weather Warning. - oldgit

>>Keston Ponds' lakes near me, were safely frozen and I donned
my skates
You was brave,I know them well.Many a swimmer been drowned
there,Bromley rads still down the road from them in the village?not
used them in several years but good company, could make up
any radiator you wanted
--
Steve

Not brave. They were passed as safe by the council, or whatever, as they were many inches thick - enough for a bus, apparently.

Keston rads is not there now. A once neighbour of mine owned the business.

Severe Weather Warning. - spikeyhead {p}
who can remember the winter of 76???
--

Wasn't it the winter of 78 that was bad, all I remember about the weather of 76 s the hot summer
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Apparently in December 1981 and January 1982, parts of southern and central England experienced lower temperatures for a few days than central Europe and Moscow.

During long spells of hot, sunny weather in the summers of 1975 and 1976, parts of Britain were drier and warmer than many places in the western Mediterranean.

I remember some of the reservoirs in the north becoming completely dry and several television programmes were devoted to showing the overall effects of the hot weather.
>>only the road south.....>>

You want to end it all in the English Channel then....?
'81 - Was a bad 'un. Remember it was my second year in court. Got caught out, ended up in a local with a Bobby and having a lift home in an Ambulance that was going "somewhere"....excellent
"sorters" the old local Bobbyu
Severe Weather Warning. - drbe
Depends on where you live. The north could be experiencing blizzards
but on the national TV news it might get a 20
or 30 seconds mention. Oh, alright, up to a minute then.
But let half-a-inch of snow fall on the capital or in
the south and it's up to half-an-hour's whinging and whining about
how the populace, transport systems, businesses etc of the area have
been badly affected....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

>>

Yeah, well, that's about right isn't it? The authorities must get their priorities right, musn't they?
Judging by tonight's BBC News weather forecast Pugugly {P}'s quotes will prove rather more accurate than some people would wish.
Severe Weather Warning. - Cardew
I note with some amusement the usual cries that Britain(well England) is paralysed every time we get a few inches of snow

Some years ago a friend had the unenviable task of being in charge of the department that dealt, amongst other things, with snow clearance for 3 counties in Southern England.

He was tasked to present a costed plan to his masters to ensure that there would be no chaos in his area; this he duly did.

Suffice to say the costs were astronomical. Huge amounts of equipment and consequent maintenance and depreciation, training of operators, standby payments for on-call operators etc etc. All this for weather conditions that occur every couple of years.

His point was that it is a very easy task to cope with UK winter weather, but are we prepared to pay for this service?
Severe Weather Warning. - Avant
"Maybe I'll be able to find out what the Omegas, 'SNOWFLAKE' icon, on the button, next to the gearlever, means!!

For some reason my Maestro van never had such things - did have excellent traction, though!!"

I would imagine it had a nice big Perkins diesel lump over the driven front wheels - you could have got througb a snowdrift with that. I wish you luck with your RWD Omega: if we have snow there will be a few BMWs stuck as well.
>>I would imagine it had a nice big Perkins diesel lump over the driven front wheels - you could have got througb a snowdrift with that.

I do remember my dad in 62/63 was on overtime/callout being an hgv mech/for local council-didnt see much of him due to weather conditions,many a snow plough got stuck in some of the lanes as well as gritters.his and others job was to keep them on the move, even meant replacing damaged components on site in blizzard conditions including replacement clutches even gearbox replacements..some of these were fitted with perkins diesel,ok engine was not a problem only gearbox clutch and diff
--
Steve
Severe Weather Warning. - expat
In November 73 I flew back from Toronto to Glasgow. In Toronto there was thick snow but everything was working fine. In Glasgow it was a couple of degrees below zero and half the buses were off! The excuse was that they weren't used to this. As if we didn't get a winter every year!
Severe Weather Warning. - THe Growler
Well, it's a hot sunny day, we've loaded the drinks cooler and lunch on to the Harleys, packed our cozzies and booked a cabin on the beach for a few days......see ya next year......
Severe Weather Warning. - HF
Well I've woken up to not a bit of snow - thought last night it was going to be dire, since had to de-ice before driving home after Boxing-Day fest. It's actually quite lovely to look outside though, foxes are playing in vaguely frosty garden and even though I hate them they're nice to watch.

This thread has reminded me though, of the winters myself and siblings spent toboganning on an old tea-tray down the pathetically small (enormous to a child's mind) hill we had in our garden. And the buzz-cart - fantastic device that was a go-cart in the summer (don't think we were ever allowed to use it then) but converted to a sledge in winter. No-one else in the street had one - one of best childhood memories ever.

Cannot remember too many winters of late where there has been enough snow for us to build the statutory 2 inch high snowman. It is blimmin cold though, time to go back to bed I think.
Severe Weather Warning. - Chicken Madras
Here in deepest darkest Peterborough, there's about a centimetre of snow. Not enough to cause any problems, but enough for the local Baz/Daz/Gaz/Kev/Wayne/Duane (or whatever his name is) to try to emulate Colin McRae on the road outside in his Saxo. Let's just say he'd better hope that tyres are part of the January sale at the local Kwik Fit...
In God's Own County (Staffs Moorlands) we have a sprinkling of snow on a nice bright day. Fed the birds high energy food: our local squirrels appropriated it until the magpies/jackdaws and wood pigeons came along..

Few cars on the road: all the high powered BMWs are kept on drives and owners driving sensible fwd cars: I understand whatever snow is coming will be the wrong type and cause chaos...

I remember the winter of 1963 living in North Scotland. We had 8 foot high snowdrifts outside our house and they stayed for literally weeks and our country lane was blocked. The main road 100 yards away was not blocked so my brother and I walked the 3 miles to school .. and back again..instead of cycling.

Every winter after that pales into insignificance...

madf
Severe Weather Warning. - Tomo
I stick up for 1947! We had a level 3 feet of snow on the square at RAF Yatesbury, and the heating pipes froze solid in the first week; anyway, motor transport with like with fuel for the boilers tended not to get through. Every other station in Wiltshire and around sent people home, but our Groupie, like Pharoah, would not let his people go.

Eventually, about Easter, the weather swung right round for the rest of the summer, so we could slip through the hole in the fence and read or just bask in the sun at the back of hedges, on PT Wednesdays.
Severe Weather Warning. - Leif
It is amazing how the UK flies into a panic, referring to severe weather, when a few flakes of snow hit the ground. I lived for 2 years in Montreal, and -15 C during the day was not unusual. I recall that a colleagues outdoor thermometer hit -30C one night. In the morning you were regularly greeted with piles of snow many feet high lining the roads, pushed there by snow ploughs clearing the roads before people woke up. They evenhad mini ones to clear the pavements. I used to wear 2 pairs of trousers, a shirt, a jumper, a thick winter coat, a woolly hat and gloves, and still felt the cold.

Whereas in the UK ...

Interestingly we are more northerly than Montreal but we have the Gulf Stream to heat us ... for a while anyway ...

Leif
Severe Weather Warning. - bikemade3
It is amazing how the UK flies into a panic, referring
to severe weather, when a few flakes of snow hit the
ground. I lived for 2 years in Montreal, and -15 C
during the day was not unusual. I recall that a colleagues
outdoor thermometer hit -30C one night. In the morning you were
regularly greeted with piles of snow many feet high lining the
roads, pushed there by snow ploughs clearing the roads before people
woke up. They evenhad mini ones to clear the pavements. I
used to wear 2 pairs of trousers, a shirt, a jumper,
a thick winter coat, a woolly hat and gloves, and still
felt the cold.
Whereas in the UK ...

Leif,
How totally agree, whilst i live in Somerset and today we have No snow it's amazing watching the UK grind to a halt at the mearest flake.
I spent 6 years in a row during the 90's spending the whole of winter 230 miles north of the Arctic circle in Tromso, Norway. From mid Novemeber untill end of March, we would get snow or days it didn't snow it would be below zero. Classic hideous driving days included freezing overnght then thawing for a day or so only to freeze and snow again, no matter how much grit you put down all it does is freeze into the ice.

Amazingly the Norwegians, and us "foreigners" know how to drive in these conditions unlike the majority of UK drivers.

I have driven in temperatures as low as -38, January avarages -25, and that far north we get no sight of the sun from Mid December untill 22 January and then it's only a glimpse.

Summer is totally the opposite, Mid June, light @ Midnight cooking on the BBQ by the fjord freshly caught Cod.

Would i got back tomorrow:- you bet i would.
The trouble is in the UK, you can get away with the following 99% of the year:

tailgating
braking at last minute at junctions and stop signs.
entering a roundabout at least 10mph too quickly
driving brutally by dumping the clutch and accelerating hard at take off
going round a corner by turning the steering wheel brutally at the last moment
last minute braking in queues and hams.

except whenthere is snow and ice. Then the above are a recipe for ..

crash..bang.. etc

madf
Severe Weather Warning. - bikemade3
"Ice and Snow
Nice and Slow".

Enough said.
Severe Weather Warning. - bimmer-driver
Boo theres nothing here in Crewe, its just really cold. But just seen on the weather report that its looking much better for snow on Thursday night/Friday morning.

Ben
Severe Weather Warning. - Armitage Shanks {p}
The weather people on TV don't help! "Temperatures are going to plummet" (to minus 2C)! "The country is going to be gripped by artcic blizzard conditions" - 2 inches of snow on high ground! It doesn't amount to anything much but it is hyped up to frighten us! I drove from Hereford to Bedford late morning and then on up to Newark - a bit of snow, nothing to panic about. What little snow there is doesn't get cleared properly and not all road are salted/gritted so the scene is set for chaos and confusion!
Severe Weather Warning. - Phil I
The proprietor of the Body Shop which was next to the building in which I used to work always stood outside with smile from ear to ear in these "Arctic Conditions" saying lovely weather isn't it?"

Oh - after half a bottle of red I thought it was the other Body Shop and wondered what the connection was.
Severe Weather Warning. - blue_haddock
The weather people on TV don't help! "Temperatures are going to
plummet" (to minus 2C)!

I wish temperatures would get that high over here in Norway! Hasn't been above -5c all day!

From my brief observations i can't see what all the fuss over a few flakes of snow is all about - you don't see the locals panicing at all.
>>i can't see what all the fuss over a few flakes of snow is all about >>

It's only the softie southerners who are panicking..:-)

Really cheering to know that they've had the worse of the weather both earlier this year (March) and now, whilst we've been basking in bright sunshine and comparatively mild conditions up here on the NW coastline.

Just one of the many benefits of living in the clean fresh air and the Irish Sea ensuring generally milder weather at this time of the year.
>>Really cheering to know that they've had the worse of the weather both earlier this year (March) and now, whilst we've been basking in bright sunshine and comparatively mild conditions up here on the NW coastline.

Hardly seen any snow in orpington,been a mixture of cloud and sunshine not bad here,just cold.kent county are doing well keeping motorways open-but judging by the news drivers still driving too fast in slushy conditions,but then thats nothing new

--
Steve
Severe Weather Warning. - klystron
It must be the Gulf Stream working well today Stuartli. 125 miles NE of the Shetland Islands here (on an oil rig) and the weather has been wonderful today. 4.5 Degrees C, crystal clear blue sky, hardly any wind and a nice calm sea. Not a snow flake in sight. magnificent!
Severe Weather Warning. - Roberson
Not much in the line of snow up here (that?s North as in Tyne and Wear/Northumberland) more in the line of hail stones. Was coming back from Gateshead on the A1 northbound when there was a big flurry of snow, but it didn't stay, just quickly melted away. Despite the fact the roads are thus wet as opposed to icy, it didn't stop the owner of a white 306 parking their car up a concrete lane divider at 60 degrees! (on the northern entrance of the Scotswood bridge) . Said divider can be seen in this photo, bottom left where the red scenic is.

tinyurl.com/8wr7p
Severe Weather Warning. - Hamsafar
Here in Nottingham there is 1-2 inches, and you wouldn't believe the scenes of universally pathetic surrender.
The roads are easily passable with gentle use of the controls and a good run at steep hills, yet there are roads completely blocked by toads with their foglights on just sat in the middle of the road waiting for the nanny state to rescue them. People are driving at 10mph with foglights on on treated roads that are just wet.
Brain rot must have affected at least 80% of people now.
Severe Weather Warning. - Armitage Shanks {p}
This morning we are told "The Big Freeze continues"! What planet are these people on? One day and night with 3 degrees of frost and a bit of snow and things grind to a halt. It is so bad the the Channel Tunnel has been shut, how did the snow het in there then?
Severe Weather Warning. - PhilW
Can someone tell me why the chunnel is shut? Last night I booked a crossing for Thursday, went into living room to tell wife it was booked and there it was on the news - shut because of (I think) appalling driving conditions on the M20, pictures showed a wet M20 with all lanes open - so why shut chunnel?? Mind you, also pictures of a badly hit Lincolnshire, bloke standing in a field and grass was still showing through the dusting of snow, children tobogganning on about 1 inch of snow and cars driving at about 2 mph on another wet road.
This isn't severe weather, it's a bit chilly, where are the huge snowdrifts?? Ain't seen one for years.

Phil
Chunnel Shut? - Bromptonaut
Given inability of press to tell Eurostar from the Shuttles I take Chunnel closed stories with a pinch of salt!

Possible though that both were temporarily suspended due Kentish weather (or is that weather of Kent!!!)
Severe Weather Warning. - Round The Bend
It's all hype. Not much news post Crimble and the 24 hour news stations need something to bang on about. Reporter yesterday was interviewing someone in Kent about the terrible conditions whilst behind him was a fast free-moving motorway!

Of course, if someone does get stuck then the "Why were n't we warned" "Where were the gritters?" moaners are interviewed. It all fills air space.

_______

IanS
Severe Weather Warning. - rjr
Regarding the Channel Tunnel.

I can't find a link to it but I am sure the reason given was vehicles were unable to get up or down the ramps to and from the loading area.
Severe Weather Warning. - PhilW
Good article in Telegraph about the ridiculous exaggeration of "severe weather warnings"
www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinio...l

Phil
Omsk, Siberia - Predicted low of -28C this weekend. Now that's cold !
Severe Weather Warning. - Tim Allcott
Drove back from Yarm (Teesside) to Cottingham (Hull) today. Roads round Yarm were poor to exciting (no grit!) and, occasionally, glazed (you know that dull reflective surface you get when the snow's been compacted to sheet ice?) 4x4's were being annoying... yes they can get going quickly, but they have just as much problem stopping as everyone else, or more, depending on their weight. But once on the A19 not a problem. Saw a Ka on its roof in a field off the A1079, and a Smart in the hedge just up the hill on a local road... and one or two abandoned vehicles. Otherwise, smooth run, but I didn't go over the Wolds from North Newbald to Skidby... that would have been tempting fate!
Tim{P}
Severe Weather Warning. - Fullchat
Tim,I'm upset! You didnt wave as you passed through between North Newbald and Skidby.

Fullchat
Sorry didnt realise you gave us a miss. Roads OK but if the winds get up the fun will start.

Fullchat
Severe Weather Warning. - Tim Allcott
Woah! and I thought Arras Hill was the easy option. and, on Wednesday, it was... having just watched the bulletin on the BBC website, glad I travelled then and not today. Hope you were snug and warm and didn't need to go out.
Tim{P}
Arrrgh ! Just heard some weather person say that -5 was Siberian--- its nolt so there.
Thats an average speed of 66 mph - Lucky to do that at any time of year.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Severe Weather Warning. - Dynamic Dave
Thats an average speed of 66 mph --

And without winter tyres I imagine?
Severe Weather Warning. - R75
Best let Santa know, With average speeds like that in this weather you will be after his job next ;o)
Severe Weather Warning. - David Horn
-7.2 here in Devon at the moment. :-)

Hasn't risen above freezing all day according to the weather station and thermocouple stuck out the window.
Just seen the late news. Charlton football supporters were upset because they had travelled all the way to Newcastle and the match was cancelled. Whats that about necessary journeys????? Mind you I cant say I am a fottie lover.

Fullchat
Yippee, snow - doctorchris
First decent bit of snow here in Sunderland and the Panda 4x4 I bought in the Summer handles it so well, much better than the big heavy 4x4s I used to drive. Get dirty looks when I overtake the ordinary cars creeping along at 15mph though. Hope the big freeze lasts!
Yippee, snow - L'escargot
Hope the big freeze lasts!

No fun for the disabled on their mobility scooters though.
--
L\'escargot.
Yippee, snow - Blue {P}
Disappointed to see that last night's forecast was wrong, I was expecting heavy snow today, it's just drab and raining. :-(

Blue
Yippee, snow - Pugugly {P}
Keeps them infernal Mini Moto things off the road at least. A plague of these this season, horrid things.