m reg rover 414 sli rear shocks - cavi
my dad thinks that the rear shockabsorbers or the springs themselves are past their best because he has said that when he drives his car over certain bumps or releived manholes he feels a kind of bottoming out feeling despite the fact that it drives normal over rough terrain and on smooth roads. he has done the bounce test and they return after one bounce. personally i think that it is due to the tow bar,as i think it is a little low but is fitted correctly. has he got something to worry about or is he just imagining this? also it is happening with just him in the car with no load, so would the shock just be simply old/ any thought welcome
m reg rover 414 sli rear shocks - Civic8
rear trailing arm bush will give same or similar probs,very common on rovers,can be seen looking at rear wheel front side chassis section.ie bad splits in bush,cost about £50 a side to do non rover garage,would not recommend doing it yourself though.
--
Steve
m reg rover 414 sli rear shocks - cavi
thankx for the reply steve.o will tell him and see what changing the bushes does. just out of curiosity what work does changing these entail?
m reg rover 414 sli rear shocks - Civic8
Car will need putting on axle stands as the trailing arm needs to be removed,first time doing one may take a couple of hours but once used to doing it about an hour..also a press would be handy to remove bush as they are a press fit,But not essential Haynes manual explains very well how to do the job.

Someone else may know a faster way of doing it-but I like to remove the arm to clean everything up
--
Steve
m reg rover 414 sli rear shocks - mjm
Last(and only) time I replaced these, every bolt through every bush was siezed in place. I ended up replacing several of the smaller bushes as well. The large bush came out ok, though, and the new ones went in quite easily.
I would treat all the bolts to a good dose of penetrating oil a few days before tackling the job.