Mondeo Servicing and brakes - leef
Hi All,

Just need some views on prices i've been quoted for a service and my brakes to be done.

I've got a new shape mondeo 1.8LX gave Ford a ring in Bolton to get a price for a standard annual service as mine is now due, quoted £135.00 which seems pretty resonable to me. Just wondered (I should of asked them, I know!) what does the standard service involve? Oul and filtern change? Plugs? air filter? im not to sure these days.

Then I asked them to quote me to change my front and rear brake pads, £167.36. I thought that was bit steep? Used to have my clios brakes done £35 for front and £40 rear at kwik-fit or £22 in total if I did them myself. I know at Ford all the parts will top notch own brand but do you think thats a bit steep?

Any thoughts

thanks
Lee
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - Adam {P}
Hi Lee,

I went to have my pads (front) changed at Gordons Ford in Wigan and I think it was near 40 quid. Assuming the back is just as easy, say 80 quid. Nowhere near 170 quid!

I've had nothing but good service from Gordons (the Wigan one - I know Bolton Ford is Gordons too) so I would strongly recommending you trying them.
Hi Adam,

Its Gordons Ford in Bolton that have quoted me these prices. Crazy how the same company can do the same Job at a very different price. I might give the Wigan one a bell and see what they say.

Thanks Adam.

PS apologies for my poor spelling of "oil filter" on the post just noticed it :)
No problem Lee.

Just reaslied though (yes - just!) that my car is a Focus. Still - I can't imagine it costing that much more for a Mondeo. I should point out it was the rapid fit section of Ford (all part of the same complex).

It turned out I never needed new pads at all and they told me as much which pushed them up another notch in my estimation.

I seem to remember being directed to the Rapid Fit in Bolton for my new exhaust. They did a good job too.
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - L'escargot
Crazy how the same company can do the same Job at
a very different price.

It will depend on local labour rates, overheads on the individual premises etc. etc.
--
L\'escargot.
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - Happy Blue!
Try this...

www.etis.ford.com/fordservice

Will help for the service thing, although I paid for a major service on the Fiesta, they did not strip the rear brakes, just inspected them through a peep hole.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks Adam and Espada,

Adam, just out of interest what did a new exhaust cost at bolton? My car is 5 years old now and im sure at some point in the near future its going to need a new one :) cheers Lee

Espada, Thanks for that, thats pretty good, lists EVERYTHING they do on the service. Cheers!! Lee
From memory it was 120 quid for a new back box and middle section.

I'll have a look for the receipt to confirm.
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - cheddar
I have had a quote for the rear pads on my 2002 Mondeo from the local Ford dealer, 0.8 hours labour, about £60 and £30.50 for parts both plus VAT so over 100 quid. I also had a quote for the front pads without labour, £46.11 plus VAT so £170 quid for both fitted seems not too bad. I am thinking of doing the fronts myself, relatively straight forward, though AFAIK the rears require the calipers to be removed plus they need to be carefully greased/adjusted to avoid the hand brake binding so I will let the dealer do them.

Mondeo Servicing and brakes - jc
Most Ford dealers will quote you differently whether it's their own w/shop or the Rapid-fit that they also operate.
Thanks guys for all your replies.
I've sent Gordons Ford Wigan an Email asking for a quote for the same thing, be interesting to see how different they are on price.

Just one last question chaps!... my car also needs two new rear tyres. down to about 1.9mm according to my tread depth guage, so time to change?. I currently have goodyear on all 4 tyres 205/55/16. The 2 on the front are brand new so there not an issue. I've checked kwik fits prices and they have GT tyres for £63 each + balancing. Should I stick with goodyears as a brand or are GT tyres ok? (im thinking of my pocket now) :)

My mate reckons because its the rear tyres that need changing I dont need to get a top brand as the front ones are pretty good? Whats your thoughts guys?

Sorry for all the questions. I just know thast guys will give unbiased proper advise.

Thanks again
Lee
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - henry k
>>The 2 on the front are brand new so there not an issue.
>>Whats your thoughts guys?

>>
The only issue at present is....
Those new tyres should have been put on the back.

Tyre makers say "ALWAYS have the best tyres on the back"

Two new tyres fitted to the back is what is required.
The only issue at present is....
Those new tyres should have been put on the back.
Tyre makers say "ALWAYS have the best tyres on the back"
Two new tyres fitted to the back is what is required.

Thanks for that henry, I honestly thought the front tyres were the more important ones with what my friend was saying, being front wheel drive etc.

Lee
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - spikeyhead {p}
Thanks for that henry, I honestly thought the front tyres were
the more important ones with what my friend was saying, being
front wheel drive etc.
Lee

The issue is that if the front end looses grip, then any reasonable driver can control the slide. If the rear end looses grip then as far as I'm concerned that's better than the front end sliding. HJowever that's only because I've spent a lot of time in rear wheel drive cars on dissused airfields having a lot of fun.

Of you're not used to catching the back end when it steps out of line unexpectedly then you'll hit something, hence the advice is to put the best tyres on the back.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - Yoby
I use Michelin Premacy's all round on my Mondeo (2.0 LX new shape) and they are superb. About £70 each from Micheldiver's in Hampshire (not that it helps you in Bolton!) The Continentals used to wear out really quickly, esp on the front end. Might be worth getting the tracking done too - then it will feel so smooth and all-round wear should be even. Just my experience.

Yoby
is it a bear or a mondeo?
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - bikemade3
Then I asked them to quote me to change my front
and rear brake pads, £167.36. I thought that was bit steep?
Used to have my clios brakes done £35 for front and
£40 rear at kwik-fit or £22 in total if I did
them myself. I know at Ford all the parts will top
notch own brand but do you think thats a bit steep?

Lee,
There is steep and there is vertical this price is the latter. I am sure it is no more difficult than doing a Clio's.
Get another quote the garage is ripping you off.

PS: got a set of genuine unused Ford shoes in motocraft box ( rear has drums) for my Mondeo on ebay for circa £7.00 ( inc postage). Fronts were bought from Halfords about 2 years ago (22,000 miles) Can't remember the cost but was cheaper than local ford dealer.

Mondeo Servicing and brakes - Happy Blue!
Lee - get a quote from that local garage in Newton Heath I told you about. They will beat any Ford dealer I am sure and give you better service.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Lee,There is steep and there is vertical this price is the
latter. I am sure it is no more difficult than doing
a Clio's.

Well the parts costs for front and rear padsare £76.61 plus VAT and as I said before the rears require the calipers to be removed plus they need to be carefully greased/adjusted to avoid the hand brake binding, on that basis I reckon £167 is not bad.

Mondeo Servicing and brakes - bikemade3
>> Lee,There is steep and there is vertical this price is
the
>> latter. I am sure it is no more difficult than
doing
>> a Clio's.
>>
Well the parts costs for front and rear padsare £76.61 plus
VAT and as I said before the rears require the calipers
to be removed plus they need to be carefully greased/adjusted to
avoid the hand brake binding, on that basis I reckon £167
is not bad.

As if your average Ford spanner Monkey/ trainee is going to do this
As if your average Ford spanner Monkey/ trainee is going to
do this

>>

That is why they tell me it is 0.8 hours rather than 0.5 on the menu pricing, also I know they grease etc because otherwise they get customers coming back complaing about binding brakes.
Mondeo Servicing and brakes - MW
If you have new Goodyears on the front, why not put the same on the back? There is something nice and satisfying about having a 'matched set' on the whole car. Swop fronts to backs at each 10-15K miles and the whole lot will waer out at the same time.
Thanks again guys, good advice as always.

Espada, I'll check out that garage in Newton Heath for sure and see what they charge.

Guys,
The only reason I looked at ford was because the car has had ALL servicing and its last brake changes done at a dealer, am i just being silly wanting genuine ford parts? or are the 3rd party ones just as good? I'll look around for prices.

As for my tyres MW, I could save £28 by putting the GT's on instead of goodyears, but not sure how good the GT's are?.

Thanks cheddar and bikemade,

I've got my Haynes manual and its a 3 spanner rating for brake pads to be changed, yet my clio was only 1 or 2 spanners? looks very similar to do though? I might let a proper mechanic do my brakes this time :) might end up killing myself if I cock it up :)

Thanks again guys