London to Cornwall - romeo156
I am driving down to Penzance this week (leaving about 3:30 am) on Friday. Question: Would you go A303 and A30 or M4 / M5

The AA states road works on A303 but not sure if this is of concern now.

Thanks for your help.
London to Cornwall - No FM2R
at 3:30am ?

Choose whichever you fancy, I can't see traffic being an issue at that time.
London to Cornwall - Round The Bend
You could still be hitting the M5 10 mile contraflow south of Bristol at a time when things may be beginning to liven up so should bear this in mind if you oversleep a little!

London to Cornwall - cheddar
The A303 has been closed near Illminster due to road works, not sure of the current status though.

Also where in London are you leaving from? Assuming you take the M4 and cross the M25 at 04:00 you should get to the M5 by 05:45, Exeter by 07:00, then take the A30, Bodmin by 08:00 from which it is 60 odd miles to Penzance though on slower roads so say about 09:30 arrival.

All being well!
The A303 has been closed near Illminster due to road works,
not sure of the current status though.
Also where in London are you leaving from? Assuming you take
the M4 and cross the M25 at 04:00 you should get
to the M5 by 05:45, Exeter by 07:00, then take the
A30, Bodmin by 08:00 from which it is 60 odd miles
to Penzance though on slower roads so say about 09:30 arrival.
All being well!

Live near Bromley, so will be on the M25 at Junction 6. Just not sure what the situation is on the A303. The AA site states that it is closed, but not sure if there is a huge detour which would suggest the M4 / M5 route might be better.
London to Cornwall - Devonboy78
Detour on A303 is not a major pain (so I am told - may add 10mins or so to your journey), the works have overrun according to local news last night - should be finished by Friday if that helps. Alternatively to avoid that bit of the A303 take the A358 just after the Ilminster bypass to Taunton and join the M5 there. I do this as it is usaully quicker than the wiggle through the Blackdown Hills on the A30.

Overall I think the A303/M5 route from London is consistently quicker and easier than M4/M5 as you do not go anywhere near the larger conurbations of Reading, Swindon, Bristol, etc. However, as others have already stated, at 3:30am this might not be an issue.

DB

London to Cornwall - mlj
We shall be travelling the opposite direction (Saltash to Dover) on thursday, starting at 4.30 am. A303 is the way to go. No hold ups, nice mix of Motorway, dual and single carriage A road. Are you going A30 or 38 once you get to Exeter? Far fewer cameras on 38 but contraflow between Exeter and Ashburton. A30 possibly favourite.
From Bromley M25, M3, A303, A358, M5 might be better because you are on the South side of London. I often go from Somerset to Woking and also to West London, even though the destinations are only 15 miles apart it is better to go M5, M4 to West London however the A303, M3 is quicker to to Woking. I also regularly go down to Cornwall, I used to use the A38 though have done the A30 route the last few times due to the roadworks at Ashburton and find it less congested and generally quicker plus it avoids the Tamar Bridge Toll on the return.
London to Cornwall - scc
Leaving 0330 - I'd definitely go M4 M5 A30. You'll be well clear of Bristol before the rush hour and the the A30 beats the A38 at any time (day or season).

I live in St Ives and make this journey several times a year- going by A303 works out at a shorter mileage but longer time.
London to Cornwall - Cardew
Leaving 0330 - I'd definitely go M4 M5 A30. You'll be
well clear of Bristol before the rush hour and the the
A30 beats the A38 at any time (day or season).
I live in St Ives and make this journey several times
a year- going by A303 works out at a shorter mileage
but longer time.

Agreed - M4 - M5 every time for me.
London to Cornwall - Hugo {P}
I've made this journey a few times and rarely get held up on the A303.

You have the option of either joining the M5 at J25 or J30. Either way you can join the A30/38 as you see fit.

Many people prefer the A30 for Wast Cornwall rather than hit the A38 via the Tamar Bridge etc, but Indian Queens and Gossmoor is a regular problem.

H
Thanks for all your help, going to go the longer way round but counting on less traffic on motorway at that time of the day

M25 to M3
M3 to A329(M)
A329 (M)to M4
M4 to M5
M5 to A30
A30 to Penzance

Heard this AM on them local news that the A303 roadworks are being taken out today.

You are better staying on the M25 round to the M4 at that time of day rather than go M3, A329(M), M4. To get to the A329(M) you have to come off the M3 at Lightwater and go through Bracknell, ok no traffic in the early hours though M25 to M4 would be quicker.
London to Cornwall - bikemade3
Heard this AM on them local news that the A303 roadworks
are being taken out today.
You are better staying on the M25 round to the M4
at that time of day rather than go M3, A329(M), M4.
To get to the A329(M) you have to come off the
M3 at Lightwater and go through Bracknell, ok no traffic in
the early hours though M25 to M4 would be quicker.

Confirm that, local radio traffic news has said the same, was due to be opened beginning of this week, but due to slight overrun has slipped opening to today.
Well I went the A303 route and then A358 to join M5 before Exeter. Journey time from Bromley to Penzance was 5 hours 35 minutes, so pretty clear the whole way.

Yesterday came back via M5 / M4 and it took 6 hours 45 minutes but it was later in the day and the traffic was busy but kept moving.

Thanks for all your previous help.