best car in the world - kevls
well what do you think people heres a list of my all time favourite cars that are top notch in my opinion.
audi a8 should get more credit than it deserves but big audi's dont sell.
lexus gs300 and ls430 even though its ugly pure engineering genius and build quality.
new bentley coupe even though it a vw pheaton underneath.
honda nsx is the power of dreams
vw golf gti a legend of all time

best car in the world - MichaelR
The E39 BMW 5 Series. In its time, arguably the finest all round car money could buy, and today, one of the finest used cars around.
best car in the world - Jono_99
....And the second best is the Mondeo Ghia X, and the third best is a Xantia Diesel Turbo
Nah, millions of cars better than both of those.
the xantia ok but the hydraulic suspension was crap mondeo ok. as for bmw what a load of rubbish that 1 series is a joke.
best car in the world - Adam {P}
The 5 Series is pretty damned nice though.
you have to understand jap cars always come top in the jd power survey. so they are beeter built and more reliable than bmw or mercedes i rest my case.
They may be better built but with the exception of Lexus, I'd rather have most BM's over their Japanese counterparts which in the main, are dreadfully boring.
best car in the world - blue_haddock
Given the choice though between a basic 318d 4dr or for less money a top of the Range Avensis 2.2 D4D T-Spirit or Accord 2.2 CTDi Executive i know which one i'd rather have.

Here's a clue - it doesn't come from Bavaria.
Come now Blue. That's hardly fair is it? ;-)

Given the choice of a basic 318d and 1.8d Corolla (or whatever the closest equivalent is) what would you choose?

BMW's will always be pricier.
best car in the world - blue_haddock
Come now Blue. That's hardly fair is it? ;-)
Given the choice of a basic 318d and 1.8d Corolla (or
whatever the closest equivalent is) what would you choose?
BMW's will always be pricier.

The Accord and Avensis are the nearest equivalent to the Beemer size wise but on the beemer you get pink fluffy dice all whereas the Jap cars will be fully loaded.
best car in the world - Altea Ego
Here's a clue - it doesn't come from Bavaria.

Nah but it starts with H and not T!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
best car in the world - barney100
Yes Jap cars are good...until they get older then the better european makes are a more sensible choice.
best car in the world - Pugugly {P}
I was going to say that - best looking, best handling, superb range of engines especially the 530d. A car that arrived in my life unannounced (lease company should have sent another 330d which I still suspect ended up at the bottom of the channel) and it left just as quietly when the contract was terminated, in the short time I had it it became a close friend - dearly missed.
I love the 5 series both old and new and would have either in a shot.
best car in the world - andymc {P}
"i rest my case."
Well, that's me convinced ;) . Ok, taking the question halfway seriously for a moment, it depends what constitutes the "best" car - one that's beautiful? Fast and furious? Invisible to thieves? Reliable? Cheap to run? Spacious?

Example: I only want a diesel-engined car, a mid-sized one that's fun to drive, reliable, quick, comfortable, easy on the eye and easy on fuel.

Japanese options - Avensis no fun, "Lexii" too costly and dull to look at, Accord overpriced & slightly awkward styling.
European cars? Alfa 159 is extremely beautiful, and drives pretty well. But ergonomics/comfort may be an issue, plus potential reliability problems.
Audi A4/A6/Passat then - but those engines hanging over the nose mess up the handling. Again, reliability is an issue (see also "France" and "Stuttgart").
BMW too pricey, low on standard kit and (yep) unreliable. Rover 75 or MG ZT no longer a canny purchase.
Mondeo handles & is more reliable, but if I ever saw its reflection as I passed a shop window I'd fall asleep at the wheel straight away, proving that it is possible to die from boredom. Not cool.

To be honest, I can think of a good reason to reject nearly every car on the market, so my default choice at the moment seems to be the Mazda6 diesel with 143 PS. Point is, if I was a petrolhead, was richer/poorer, had different taste etc, the shortlist would look very different ... horses for courses.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Is now a bad time to admit I feel really chuffed when I see my Mondeos reflection in a shop window? I think they look great with the Ford bodykits. Regular ones look bland, tho...

I'm not sure I get this low standard kit thing with BMW's. At least with the 5 Series SE specification has everything you could ever need bar leather - dual zone climate, PDC, DSC, electric front/rear windows, auto dim/dip rear view mirror, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, cruise, multifunction wheel, headlight washers, etc etc etc. If it isn't included with SE spec, you probably don't need it anyway.

Except leather.
best car in the world - DavidHM
I know it's boring but I'd probably choose the 530d as well.

Okay, it's not the best car for every job and if there was only one standard car for everyone, it'd probably be a Zafira or something, but a 530d is quick, economical, well made, handles well, prestigious, looks good, does well in crash tests and is relatively affordable.
best car in the world - Lud
Suppose you all mean modern stuff. But what about Bugatti type 35, or for the road 57SC... or one of those early-50s Ferrari Barchettas, 1.5 litre V12 with little cylinders like coffee cups, 160BHP with cart-sprung back axle and drum brakes, minimal handbeaten aluminium body, crossply racing tyres, lethal but sublime... cost a bit today one of those.
best car in the world - Xileno {P}
Peugeot 205 diesel.
best car in the world - tack
I vote the Ford Model T.

It was what started mass motor ownership. Low price, the longest manufacture run ever (apart from VW Beetle)and unchanged over 19 years.

An icon surely!
best car in the world - BazzaBear {P}
1980 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
Even the Top Gear crew agreed that it was the best car in the world when they drove one last year.
best car in the world - Group B
"my all time favourite cars that are top notch in my opinion"

1984 Audi quattro Group B rally car
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
best car in the world - NowWheels
Peugeot 205 diesel.

I'll second that nomination
best car in the world - nutty_nissan
Mercedes S class.
best car in the world - AK76
Best car in the world?

BMW M5 E39. Does everything. A lot of car for the money.

Stuff the fuel consumption. If it was about fuel consumption we'd all have bikes.
best car in the world - Lud
Suppose you all mean modern stuff. But what about Bugatti type
35, or for the road 57SC... or one of those early-50s
Ferrari Barchettas, 1.5 litre V12 with little cylinders like coffee cups,
160BHP with cart-sprung back axle and drum brakes, minimal handbeaten aluminium
body, crossply racing tyres, lethal but sublime... cost a bit today
one of those.

I have been fretting about the word 'lethal'. Only lethal in the event of a big impact or roll, of course. Handling once you got the hang of it would be most enjoyable, not to mention the urge and the sounds... And think of tuning all those little downdraught Weber chokes before going out for a blast... Still, I see that apart from one mention of the Model T Ford and a regerence to big brute A-M Vantage, boringly capable modern devices are what seem to get most people's juices flowing. May I recommend a day out at VSCC Shelsley Walsh, if anyone is interested in what used to be? Some very hairy specials there too.
lexus you are the best - kevls
its a matter of personal of what car is te best in the world i would say lexus for there superb engineering and they never braek down. i would say better engines than mercedes or bmw they seem to take care and time with there engineering. they might be bland but always bring a smile and go for ever. i take my hat off to lexus.
lexus you are the best - nutty_nissan
its a matter of personal of what car is te best
in the world i would say lexus for there
superb engineering and they never braek down. i would say better
engines than mercedes or bmw they seem to take care and
time with there engineering. they might be bland but always bring
a smile and go for ever. i take my hat off
to lexus.

Go find some Series 1 LS400 owners and talk to them. Then you will learn that Lexus designed the suspension badly, and all early cars needed new bushes. However, the whole control arm has to be replaced as the bush isn't available separately. At 800 quid for both front control arms, an expensive fix. I hardly call that superior engineering.
lexus you are the best - wjh
Don't be so ridiculous. A Peugeot 205 Diesel? Mondeo Ghia X? What?

Everyone knows the best car in the world is the Bugatti Veyron.
lexus you are the best - kevls
that may be so but better than bmw they have ther fair share of problems so dont be picking on the great lexus. they are still the best and will always be top in reliability and enginerring why dont you go on talk to a few bmw owners i rest my case.
lexus you are the best - Xileno {P}
I think the Peugeot 205 was Car of the Decade. With the XUD engine, it still impresses in terms of refinement and handling/ride. They are also remarkably rust free. Considering it is over 20 years old, how many other cars can achieve that?

lexus you are the best - Malcolm_L
Best is subjective, Bugatti Veyron is certainly a most capable car but ask it to offroad and a Land Rover suddenly becomes the best car in the world.

I think back to a Sierra XR4 which was a rather agricultural 2.8 V6 but outhandled a lot of cars if you had the balls, certainly surprised a few 325 drivers!

Best car for me was the Audi 1.9 5 cylinder coupe, amazing engine which punched a lot higher than it's weight, economical when driven halfway sensibly, superbly reliable and seemed to be carved out of solid as regards build quality.
lexus you are the best - barchettaman
I reckon you could actually get pretty far off-road in a Veyron. Particularly if your exit speed off the road was 400 kph.
Getting back on the road could be the tricky bit.
lexus you are the best - Malcolm_L
LOL! However, I did say ask which does imply a choice!
lexus you are the best - Pugugly {P}
Aye - all that electrickery would be pretty useless..........
lexus you are the best - Stuartli
>>that are top notch in my opinion.>>

Is that opinion based on personal experience or reading matter?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
lexus you are the best - NowWheels
I think the Peugeot 205 was Car of the Decade. With
the XUD engine, it still impresses in terms of refinement and
handling/ride. They are also remarkably rust free. Considering it is over
20 years old, how many other cars can achieve that?

The 205D was also very reliable, and easy to maintain: several female friends did all their own maintenance on them. Plenty of those cars did enormous mileages, far in excess of what other similar cars managed before or after.

One thing that was noteable about Peugeots of that generation was that they didn't eat tyres, which to my (non-technical) mind suggests a very well-balanced chassis.
best car in the world - Avant
Interesting reading the posts here but it just shows that you can't realistically name an outright 'best car in the world', and in fairness our original poster didn't try to.

Take a few often-named 'best in class' of current models -

Porsche 911
Mercedes S-class
BMW 3-series or Audi A4
Ford Mondeo or Skoda Octavia
Ford Focus or VW Golf
Honda Jazz (agree, would have been 205 diesel 15 years ago)
VW Golf GTI
Mazda MX5
MINI
LR Discovery

Even if we agreed that each of these was the best in its class (and I'm sure we don't), you could surely never say that any one was better than the other. You might want both a Discovery and a Jazz, but if you were choosing just one car they wouldn't both be on your shortlist.

I feel sure these lists have appeared here before, not all that long ago...
best car in the world - Big Bad Dave
The original poster mentions the Honda NSX. This would be my my best track day car. Before he died, Ayrton Senna was my hero, so I?d like to drive the car that was designed around/by him.
best car in the world - sony
The Golf is probably the best car in the world. Good looking, practical, reliable, and considering the price was always looked on as a "posh" supermini.
best car in the world - BazzaBear {P}
Interesting reading the posts here but it just shows that you
can't realistically name an outright 'best car in the world'

You clearly didn't read my post above ;)