A class Mercedes-best buy ? - Martin
Hi

I am thinking of getting an A class A170cdi to replace our golf tdi estate. I would expect to keep it for six or seven years and am looking at nearly or new cars.

There seem a lot of "new" ones advertised by non Mercedes sources.

Any tips on where to buy.

Two Questions

1. I would like a detachable tow hitch which was an (expensive)option on the Golf as we tow five or six times a year . It is a tidy solution to hide the tow-ball.

Question : Can these type of hitches be retro-fitted or is it a factory only option.

2. Some of the "new" non Mercedes dealer sourced cars have a quick heat option. I 'phoned the UK Mercedes Helpline who cannot explain what this is or indeed if it a UK official option.

Question: Anyone know how this works and any comments ?

Any other comments on the car in general ?

Thanks

Martin
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - honestjohn
WAIT!!!!

THERE IS A NEW A-CLASS ABOUT TO ARRIVE. SEE THE NEWS ARCHIVE ON THIS WEBSITE FOR INFO AND PIX.

HJ
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - Malcolm
Martin, Many dealer supplied towbars are manufactured by a company by the name of "Bosal".I myself having bought a new honda civic estate had one fitted as part of the deal,supplied by honda but made by bosal. These towbars are very well made and in my case unseen once detached.They can be ordered and fitted by halfords but are not exclusive to them so shop around.Bosal also in my oppinion make the best aftermarket exhaust systems.
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - S.E.cret
Be careful Martin. I think Malcom works for the police.
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - Andrew Bairsto
I personnally would not touch a A class with a barge pole they are terrible ,They have proved to be a disaster here in Germany.
There are too many problems to list .The new model is an extended version to try and get away from its Tupperware image .Fot the cost of the A class You could buy a proper car and would not suffer the alarming depreciation.Do not think these cars are anything to do with Daimler Benz they only market them with there badge the same as the Smart.And do not forget in RHD versions when (God forbid you do not)you have a serious accident the battery comes through the floor and sprays you with battery acid.
The plastic wings discolour ,there is no spare wheel ,the wing mirrors are in the wrong place.The cars are dangerous on wet an slippy roads and sharp corners .Just something to think about ,I run a Mercedes myself and think they are wonderful .Buy a second hand C 180
Regards Andy Bairsto
Dresden Germania
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - Richard Luxton
A-Class , I have enjoyed the relaibility, low service/fuel costs, versatility of my 1.7 avant garde CDI. Only big bitch is the ride, which is far to harsh, but has not made me regret the purchase. Must try the longer wheelbase version.
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - Andrew Barnes
I have to disagree, the A Class is a complete success in the UK. Depreciation is low, they are reliable, highly regarded and a very nice drive.

Andrew
Re: A class Mercedes-best buy ? - simon robins
Detachable tow bars- Don't be silly!

I am on my third hook on my 98 VW Passat.
The bar gets only intermittent and relatively light use towing my boat and has been fine for me

The problem is that I am on my third recall hook- VW say that this is due to problems with the hook coming off the car by popping out of its socket on the bar proper. Obviously fitted by those non mechanically minded?
( but then I am an Engineer!)

The unit was an option at about £700, the witter equivalent is more like half that!
The car is now out of warranty- how much for a replacement hook? They do wear out.