New MOT - interesting quirks - Cliff Pope
I took the documents to the PO to tax our company van, and an eagle-eyed cashier spotted that the hand-written "U" on the registration number on the MOT certificate could, if read at the wrong angle, look a tiny bit like an "L", so she rejected the certificate and refused to issue the tax disk. I was told to get a new certificate - NOT get the garage to correct the original, or she would reject it again.

The certificate was an old-style one, and the garage can only now do new-style certificates. So officially, there was nothing the tester could do other than log-on and do a complete re-test.
In practice, he managed to trick the DVLA computer into running an entirely fictitious MOT retest.
I'm not sure how precisely he achieved this, but he said he could do any of the old tricks if he wanted, for favoured customers, and the new system was as wide open to abuse as the old. He could even fool the emissions section, simply by sticking the probe up the exhaust pipe of a known passable car rather than the one on test.
New MOT - interesting quirks - Dynamic Dave
He could even fool the emissions section, simply by sticking the probe up the exhaust pipe
of a known passable car rather than the one on test.

A garage I know up the road does just that when he has to MOT cars with A series engines fitted (Metro's and the like). More often than not an A series engine will not run properly when the emmisions are set to government recommended guidelines.

ps, your postmaster / mistress sounds like a right old jobsworth.
New MOT - interesting quirks - islandman
I'm not sure how precisely he achieved this, but he said
he could do any of the old tricks if he wanted,
for favoured customers, and the new system was as wide open
to abuse as the old. He could even fool the emissions
section, simply by sticking the probe up the exhaust pipe
of a known passable car rather than the one on test.

>>

Doesn't surprise me at all - after all how does the probe know whose pipe your sticking it up!! Remember passing an MOT is for that day only. I know there are appeals if you belive a pass cert should not have been issued, 1 month for mechanicals etc & 3 months for corrosion. However for emiisions etc where ecu's are involved I suppose it's quite possible that one day they work next day they don't!
If the Garage is less than 'honest' then who knows!
New MOT - interesting quirks - commerdriver
I took the documents to the PO to tax our company
van, and an eagle-eyed cashier spotted that the hand-written "U" on
the registration number on the MOT certificate could, if read at
the wrong angle, look a tiny bit like an "L", so
she rejected the certificate and refused to issue the tax disk.
I was told to get a new certificate - NOT get
the garage to correct the original, or she would reject it
again.

She sound as though she doesn't want local post offices to continue if that's the level of "service" she is trying to provide.
New MOT - interesting quirks - bell boy
last time that happened to me i used the official post office pen and went to a different counter in same PO
New MOT - interesting quirks - The Gingerous One
yes, I had a similar experience as on my MoT cert the 'V' looked a bit like a 'U' but the guy just mentioned it and still issued the tax disc. Which was fine by me.
New MOT - interesting quirks - Altea Ego
Pound to a pinch of salt it was a main post office.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New MOT - interesting quirks - Billsboy
"Nothing the tester could do other than log on and do a complete retest"

I think this is wrong. I believe the new system allows test stations to issue replacementm new style certificates to cover contingencies where the old one has been lost. The station that carried out the original test will have a duplicate on file to copy the details.
New MOT - interesting quirks - Dynamic Dave
I think this is wrong. I believe the new system allows
test stations to issue replacementm new style certificates to cover contingencies
where the old one has been lost. The station that carried
out the original test will have a duplicate on file to
copy the details.

Quote:- "The certificate was an old-style one, and the garage can only now do new-style certificates."
New MOT - interesting quirks - martint123
Quote:- "The certificate was an old-style one, and the garage can only now do new-style certificates."

Makes no difference, they can issue a new-style certificate manually from the details of the old-style one.

from VOSA
How do we dispose of the old replacement certificates? You will need to keep the duplicate copies of test certificates that you issued for 18 months in order to issue duplicate certificates via the system, after this period they can be disposed of.

i think you will find that you can only get a duplicate certificate from another mot station if as dd says that the original testing station was on the new computor system,otherwise all the old mot information would have to be inputted by hand.
On a cheerier note?1 million computer tests were carried out in november with only 6%of all those having vehicle data errors inputted (not a lot of people know that)
New MOT - interesting quirks - cockle {P}
On a cheerier note?1 million computer tests were carried out in
november with only 6%of all those having vehicle data errors inputted
(not a lot of people know that)

That's cheerier?
6% of 1 million is 60,000 incorrect in one month, extrapolated out across the year, 12 x 60,000, by the end of 2006 we should have approx 720,000 vehicles running around with MOT's on which there are vehicle data errors. By data errors I presume they mean incorrect VRN's and VIN numbers, sounds like a major leap forward, not.
New MOT - interesting quirks - Vansboy
Reminds me of when I had to produce docs, at the Police station. Armed with the neatly written registration clearley reading VANSBOY, rather than VAN 580Y, on the MoT certificate, I did wonder....

The officer checking the paperwork, commented that it looked a good reg & ticked all the boxes, as OK!!

VB
cockle {P} i was being ironic :) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry
New MOT - interesting quirks - Dwight Van Driver
Should have been no problem as the VIN number of the vehicle is recorded on the old style MOT Certifacte. This checked against the Reg Certificate would have confirmed number.

dvd
New MOT - interesting quirks - Cliff Pope
Should have been no problem as the VIN number of the
vehicle is recorded on the old style MOT Certifacte. This checked
against the Reg Certificate would have confirmed number.

Too complicated for a PO jobsworth. I had already queued for half an hour, so I suppose being able to reject it on a trumped-up technicality was just too tempting.
New MOT - interesting quirks - cockle {P}
cockle {P} i was being ironic :) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry

I realised that oldman, no need to be sorry.
I'm just amazed that they would even own up to a 6% error rate let alone trumpet it, let's face it that figure is pretty poor for a new database.