Volvo 240 se rear door hinge - Lounge Lizard
I now wish to access the cable in the door hinge.

I have the estate model 1992.

How do I remove the plastic cover on top? Or do I need to from underneath through the roof lining?
Volvo 240 se rear door hinge - elekie&a/c doctor
The rear tailgate hinges are bolted from underneath headlining which just peels back over a metal flange.I would strongly advise you not to disturb these hinges.The tailgate is a lot heavier than it looks & unless it is supported correctly when it is unbolted it is very likely they will snap .They are cast metal & expensive to replace.
Volvo 240 se rear door hinge - Peter D
It is not a plastic top it is meatal and bolted on from underneath. There are two wasr to do this. 1/. your remove the lining by standing at the rear and grap hold of it where it appear to be tuck around a thin lip, grab it one third from the appropriate side with both thumbs and forefingers and pull, what will come out is a stiff insert which attached to the lining. To make it easter to stretch put a heater in the back of the car for ten mins. Now this exposes the roof you can either fiddle to feed the cable through the hinge assemble feeding more into the car. This will mean you have to disconnect all the internal door wiring and legthen the cable cable but you will have pilled fresh cable through into the hinge, then cut the cabl at the break and remake the joints to the connector in the roof. You will need lots of silicon grease and teflon type spray grease to gey the cable through and do not tear the seal. 2/. The official way is to remove the rear door and that takes 3 people. Disconnect both sides disconnect the strutsremove the 4 bolts, and lift the door away. The cable is special to type and is a soft silicone type insulator and flexi annealed copper fine stranded core. From memory a replacement harness was about £36 10 years ago. so I effeced the repair via 1/. and sold the car 5 years later everything working. Regards Peter
Volvo 240 se rear door hinge - Cliff Pope
If you need to remove a hinge, it's best to do it in a garage and support the open tailgate with rope from the garage roof. Only remove one hinge at a time. Make light marks so that you can put the hinge back in exactly the original position. If you get the adjustment wrong you can damage the lip of the tailgate by fouling the catch panel.
It weighs a ton - much easier in my view to by-pass the hinge alltogether and use ordinary cheap wire.