LPG - Dominic Grimes
i am due to change a company car in the next few months. I have mostly driven diesels but am considering a Volvo LPG. Does anyone have any real experience of the savings possible?

Also is there a web site for LPG which lists where fuel is available

Dominic
Re: LPG - Rod Maxwell
I did the sums for a colleague who was interested in this. The answer was that the diesel works out cheaper. Currently LPG fuel is about half the price of diesel but the diesel (it was an Audi A6 1.9) would use less than half the qualtity of fuel than the similarly powered LPG car.

It's worth noting that Audi have Euro IV compliant diesels and so do not incur the extra 3% company car tax adjustment but I suspect that it applies to other vehicles as well (it costed out for a Golf). It's worth doing your own sums as this will vary depending on the model.

There is a website that quotes performance figures for LPG conversions. I have this at work somewhere so I'll post it if I can find it in the mess that passes for my filing system.

I think our lease company firm quotes for a Volvo running on CNG which would work out very much cheaper. Unfortunately, most CNG filling stations are private (I believe Glasgow City Council has one for the dust carts).

No doubt, some of the more mechanically astute on this board will be able to tell you about the likely performance and reliability issues of LPG.
Re: LPG - Rod Maxwell
The link for the mpg figures (it was DETR data) appears to dead. I've had a quick trawl around but I can't find anything similar.

The figures I had for the Audi were 24 mpg for a 2 litre LPG conversion and 50 mpg for the 1.9 TDi. Costs for the two were almost identicle.
Re: LPG - Honest John
Link to the LPG websites via the LPG FAQ answer on this site.

HJ
Re: LPG - David Lacey
Oh dear - just wait until Guy sees this thread.....he won't be able to get his head out of the door!
Re: LPG - Mike Wolstencroft
For current list of LPG filling stations try www.star-gas.co.uk/home.htm. Diesel must be about the most environment-unfriendly fuel going. Plus you now have the current problem of discovering whether your diesel fuel pump can get on with the 'greener' diesel being offered without any of the attendant risks being made clear to the punter at the point of sale!
Re: LPG - Roger
My real world experience of lpg is;

1.6 16V Vectra conveted 23,000 miles ago.

Motorway mpg was 40 on petrol.

Motorway mpg on gas is 32.

I pay 26 (yes 26p) per litre for gas when I visit Stoke-on-Trent. I know we cant all go to Stoke, but when you have converted you get to find out about the cheap places to fill up - there is a massive variation in price. There are loads of places selling gas other than conventional forecourts. i.e. bottled gas suppliers, even farms! 33p is not difficult to find. My conversion has paid for itself and I am "quids in"
Re: LPG for Diesels - Tim T
I got a diesel Audi after spending many years on LPG on a Rover and a Peugeot. Has anyone experience of the recent Diesel?LPG conversions? I still have my (probably scrap) Rover and wonder whether to salvage the LPG kit or get a new installation
Re: LPG for Diesels - Roger
Try www.lpgforum.co.uk