Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Ian
I've always done my oil changes in the past by reaching under the car to get to the sump nut but either with advancing years or lower cars (suspect the former!) I can no longer reach.

How do most people do home oil changes, ramps or axle stands? when the car is at an angle surely all the old oil does not flow out?

Thanks, Ian
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - ladas are slow
its best to use axle stands if your doing something with the wheels, but i use ramps when i am changing the oil, because the axle stands take up alot of the room under the car.
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Flat in Fifth
Ian,

Unless you need the therapeutic feel of hot oil running up your arm why not try one of the devices which suck it out of the dipstick hole via a tube.

A search on this site using "liquivac" will find plenty of info, remember to alter the search criteria to "all dates" as this was discussed quite some time ago.

As for all the oil not running out on ramps or axle stands I've never had such a problem with either method, but actually working single handed prefer stands to ramps.

regds,
Stuart
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Julian Lindley
Stuart,

As you know from earliar posts, I too had an interest in the Liquivac product.
Unfortunately, on contacting the company: Tecnix, AOC Ltd., Wembley, HA9 0TY, recommended as the supplier, they informed me that they no longer marketed the product and did not know who did.

At this point I did not pursue further.

Regards,

Julian
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Flat in Fifth
Julian,

As Randoplh says, maybe the Liquivac device is no longer made but this type of kit *is* available and a marine chandlers is almost guaranteed to have something or be able to get one. The way inboard engines are installed low down in the bilges of small craft, esp yachts, means such a device is *the* only sensible way to change the oil.

Liquivac is the key word which will get the biggest hit on the most posts covering the subject that Ian might be interested in. That included a few online suppliers.

Also I recall it was advertised in one of the car mechanics mags, a good read of the threads such a search kicks up will give you enough leads on suppliers I reckon.

regds,
Stuart
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - alvin booth
Ian..All the cars I recall having have always had the sump drain plug at the rear which facilitates draining the oil completely when on the ramps.
I presume yours is at the front???
Alvin
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Darcy Kitchin
Ian
Same problem as you, I suspect. Agility dimishing with the years. I use (and just did so yesterday) a trolley jack under eg a towing eye just to raise the car a couple of inches or so to improve access. Before hysteria breaks out among the rest of you, I do not recommend lifting the whole weight of the car by the towing eye; use the jacking points and ensure the car is supported by axle stands before going underneath.
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - steve paterson
And don't worry about not draining all the oil, if you managed to empty the sump completely, you'll still have up to a litre of old undrained oil in the pump, oil galleries etc.
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Randolph Lee
try ship chandlers for this sort of product... most marine engine mountings make the dipstick suck method the only way of doing the job... esp in a seaway head down in the bilge is not a fun way to change the oil!
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Big Vern
Ramps do it for me as they are quick and easy, aulthough on all the cars I work on bar one I need 2 short sturdy planks to reduce the angle of the incline due to the low front spoilers on modern cars. Also on many cars the filter is easier to get at when on the ramps.
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Ian Cook
Ian

Quite a problem on a lot of cars,especially those fitted with front air dams.

On non-Citroens I use a trolley jack to lift the centre of the car at the front, just to the point where the tyres are still on the road. I then let the trolley jack down. The suspension does not completely re-settle and it usually gains about 3 inches of ground clearance. If you subsequently let the handbrake off and roll the car forward, it will settle to its proper position.

Ian
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Piers
Drive one side (opposite to the side the sump plug is on) carefully up onto the kerb and you've not only got a bit more access room but more crud from the bottom of the sump can flow out due to the angle. Make sure you don't spill oil in the road though (or do it outside your neighbours house instead of your own!).

Piers
if you rock the car it sometimes get some of the old oil out
or you could jack each side of the car up to get the oil out.
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - Dave N
You can get a suction device from Sealy or RS components, about £60.
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - David W
I was also going to say I've seen this suction device still in the latest Sealey catalogue.

There is something that says draining via the plug must be better but the most important thing is to change the oil.

Normal DIY ramps are a devil to use with most modern cars due to low bumper/spoiler design.

I have to mention the Citroens...with the suspension on high they will easily drive on DIY ramps and the room underneath is brilliant.

Axle stands must always be used though, even when on ramps, in case the hydraulic pressure fails. A DIY'er died last year forgetting this with his Xantia.

David
Re: Easy DIY Oil Change Advice - The Real Bogush
And wasn't there a "neighbour from hell" type a few years ago who cut the "brake" pipes on the next door's Citroen one night.

Neighbour went out to car next morning to find................