new or old model - tatmac
we are thinking of buying a 2 seater, but with a budget of around 20k the quandry is, do we go for the bottom of the range 161bhp tt roadster, or a new top of the range mx5 2.0 160 bhp.
bearing in mind the tt will soon be an outgoing model. depreciation costs have then got to be considered, the car would probably be changed again in 30/36 months.
any advice?
new or old model - mare
MX5
new or old model - Happy Blue!
MX5
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
new or old model - P 2501
MX5
new or old model - mss1tw
""
new or old model - dylan
Don't know if you care about such things, but according to warranty direct they had 59 claims for every 100 audi tts they cover. Can't find the figure for the mx5, but overall Mazdas had 11 claims per 100 cars, compared to Audi's 41.
new or old model - blue_haddock
Have you thought about a mondeo......

Seriously though i would go for the MX5 - they have always held their value well and i don't think this one will be an exception to that rule. The TT is the base spec and with the new model due out soon i think that used values will plummet.
new or old model - BazzaBear {P}
TT = style over substance posemobile
MX5 = actual drivers car

MX5 every time.
new or old model - madf
S3 Audi.
madf
new or old model - Altea Ego
Pose = TT
Fun = MX5
----------------------------------------
TourVanMan < yes its RF reborn >
new or old model - Manatee
Pose = TT
Fun = MX5
----------------------------------------

Confess I had the same thought but then you could also pose in the MX5 which makes it dual purpose so even better!

I admit to being slightly anti-Audi, having had a couple of troublesome ones, but the TT always struck me as a fashion accessory especially the lower spec ones which, appearance aside, look to me like a poor substitute for a Golf. HJ's CbC breakdown doesn't inspire either.
new or old model - Group B
Check out the latest Evo magazine; new MX5 is included in the Car of the Year group road test. Unfortunately it gets a bit of a slating, saying its lost loads of character that the previous model had. But thats probably from a mainly performance driving point of view; depends whay you want it for. Would be interesting to see what other (less performance-oriented) magazines think of it.

Does it have to be a soft top? What about 2nd hand Nissan 350Z? IMO far more appealing than an Audi TT.
new or old model - BobbyG
Another option might be to get a late "old style " MX5? Are Mazda maybe doing (yet more) special editions loaded with toys to clear residual stock?
Another option might be to get a late "old style"
MX5? Are Mazda maybe doing (yet more) special editions loaded with
toys to clear residual stock?

If you go this route, would recommend you concentrate on the 1.8i model. My girlfriend has an 03-plate 1.6i, which is a nice car, great for relaxed pootling around in, but feels frustratingly underpowered if you want to go a bit quicker.
new or old model - cheddar
If you want an open topped no compromise sports car then Elise, if you want a softer convertible to pose in then SLK, otherwise there are loads of rapid fun cars such as the S3 mentioned before that would be better fun and better VFM than a TT convertible.
new or old model - jc
Why an Elise,buy the same car as a Vauxhall,much cheaper!!
new or old model - barchettaman
Fiat Barchetta - best value cabrio on the market.
4k should get you a really nice one.
What´s that, the instant depreciation of the other two when you drive them out the garage?
Rare - turns heads - quick - pretty - something different.

Of course, I admit to absolutely no bias. But at least I´m not recommending a Mondy tdi....

Have fun deciding!
new or old model - bradgate
Cheddar,

I don't mean to be rude, but which of these cars have you actually driven?

new or old model - No FM2R
what would be your guess ?
new or old model - turbo11
how about seconhand 350z.Brilliant to drive.
I don't mean to be rude, but which of these cars
have you actually driven?

Not rude, just irrelevant.
new or old model - Dave E
We have an "old" MX5 and had a look over the new one on Sunday. It looks a bit more masculine than the previous model and feels much more solid. Inside it, you sit deeper than the old model and that will probably make it feel a bit more secure and cut down on draughts around the neck. As a package I am not convinced it is better than the outgoing model. A test drive was ruled out more or less immediately when the salesman? started to patronise Mrs. E.

When will they ever learn?

But in answer to the original question TT or MX5, it has already been said, pose in the TT, or drive in the MX5. Your choice.

Completely unrelated, we went to the Lexus dealer next door to look at the new IS200, now that is very nice and very desireable.
Completely unrelated, we went to the Lexus dealer next door to
look at the new IS200, now that is very nice and
very desireable.

I agree, I think it is either IS250 2.5 V6 or IS220d 2.2 diesel, in the US they already have the IS350, 300 bhp 3.5 V6 and lovely wheels.
new or old model - Vansboy
Mx5 - go for an astounding deal on old model - as HJ mentions, pre owned are real value for money.

& if you go the 'Special Edition' route, see if you can find a Montana.

This is what Mrs V has, only 500 made, so a little rarer, but FULLY loaded (not just stickers n chrome!!) Hardtopm, air con & woodkit, some of the niceties.

Friends of ours have both, Him=TT, Her=Mx5(Arizona)for some reason, whenever they come visiting, ALWAYS in Mx5 & he drives!!

VB
Further to my initial post yesterday, I've just seen a mini test of the new MX-5 in the December 2005 CAR magazine, and they give it 4.5 out of 5 and think its great, and say the only criticism is it "could do with a little more poke". They say it "is a source of constant surprises, all of them good."

The test in Evo magazine did say they were trying to borrow another example to see if the one they had tested was a rogue car.
new or old model - Stuartli
I don't know about the new MX-5, but I do know that when I first drove the original in Greece before it was launched in the UK I'd never enjoyed myself so much for years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
new or old model - Xileno {P}
Drive both, then you will quickly make up your own mind. Chances are only one will feel 'right' for you.
new or old model - bradgate
>>
>> I don't mean to be rude, but which of these
cars
>> have you actually driven?
>>
Not rude, just irrelevant.

I think we can take that as 'none of them' - as usual, then.
>> >>
>> >> I don't mean to be rude, but which of
these
>> cars
>> >> have you actually driven?
>> >>
>>
>> Not rude, just irrelevant.
I think we can take that as 'none of them' -
as usual, then.

I take issue with "as usual", if you are refering to a recent thread about the ST170 etc I had driven IIRC 3 or 4 out of the 5 or 6 of the cars being discussed, that is hardly "none of them"!!!

Furthermore on the same note I reckon HJ would concur when I say that I would trust the opinions of half a dozen professional motoring journalists and a few friends more than one bloke who posts occasionally on an internet chat room.

Now can we stop the nit picking!

As it happens I have driven a few Elises including a couple of track days, I have a friend who has an SLK, another has just sold TT coupe 225, I also know a guy who replaced a 2000 model MX5 1.8 with an Elise. I mentioned an S3 only because someone else already had, an S3 is the same chassis as a TT 225 coupe and a good one could be had for less than 150/161 convertible and would be more fun to drive.
new or old model - Dynamic Dave
Now can we stop the nit picking!

Quite!

DD.