Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - cyb
Hi guys,

I desperately need your help. I bought a ex-police car (Astra 2.0 DTi 52 Reg) and the gearbox has completly gone, the casing has broken.

I've spent the last 3 weeks trying to find a used replacement but nobody in the whole country has an F23 AG Gearbox.

My last hope is if I can find out where police cars that are scrapped, go to, just incase I can ring them up and find one.

Hope you understand how desperate I am, as otherqwise I will have lost £2000.

Please can you help?
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Stuartli
Why just police cars that have been scrapped?

Have you considered approaching:

www.partsgateway.co.uk/myresults3/vauxhall.html

vauxhall.reconditioned-engines.co.uk/ggl/

www.breakerlink.com/index.php

www.247spares.co.uk/engines/

www.breakeryard.com/cars/Vauxhall/Vauxhall.aspx

www.nationalbreakers.com/home.asp

There are many others.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - T Lucas
Is it a special unit fitted to Police versions,can the casing be repaired,is it fitted to other models?
Hi,

I don't know if it is a special unit fitted to Polive versions but the casing has broken, according to a few places this isn't repairable but someone mentions a £50 job to "bond" the peice that has broken?

I got another geabox which appeared to be the same but after fitting it the cylinder went on it as well as a new one that the agrage had bought :|

You can see a picture of the damage at img44.imageshack.us/img44/1395/10012784rp.jpg
Thanks for the reply StuartLi, The reason I'm looking for the police car is that nobody up and down the country has this gearbox, maybe it was only fitted to a small number of cars or customised cars? I've range around 30 scrappers across the country and used 247spares and PartsGateway intensively for the last 3 weeks but to no avail.

I will try the others but would still appreciate any info on Police scrappers.

Thanks StuartLi
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Number_Cruncher
If it's so much of a problem, perhaps you could fit any other F23 gearbox.

Number_Cruncher
I'm not sure if this is possible, I've tried an SK that doesn't work. I don't know how to find out what is compatible.

Nationewide Autocentre have quoted me £980 inc Vat for new gearbox and clutch :gulp:
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - henry k
a possible source
www.nsg.ltd.uk/
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Group B
Probably a long shot, but you could ask the same question on the forum at traffic-answers.com. A lot of coppers go on there, they may know or may be able to find out for you.
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Armitage Shanks {p}
This may help, someone else is looking for a box (you perhaps) and someelse is elling a box but it may not be AG.

tinyurl.com/ddzje
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - MoneyMart
try www.5ive-o.com
Armitage thanks for the reply, already tried\trying eBay.

BTW The first link is MY request for the gearbox on eBaY!!!

I'm currently working through the NSG link.

Thanks so much for all thee replies guys.
Guys, I've just tried ALL the companies at NSG and not one has it, why is this so rare?!

I've got to ring two companies tomorrow to find out if they have it but everybody else was a no.

I'm now going to see if Traffic-answers can help.

Please keep offering suggestions!
BTW, do you have have a contact number or website for "Vega" as apparently these supply gearboxes.

thanks
If you let us know what part of the country you are in someone may well recommend a good gearbox outfit near you.
Or
Have you checked if this box is fitted to any other vehicles then you may be able to search for a write off.
Sorry now looked at Ebay -Leicester
www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/

Have you tried putting "gearbox repairs leicester" into google to see what it finds?
Hi Henry K,
I've tried this.

Pity I didn't ring Topgear first as they seem a lot better than the place I've taken mine too.
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Dynamic Dave
(Astra 2.0 DTi 52 Reg) and the gearbox has completly gone

If it's a 52 reg, then won't it still be under warranty? Or was it registered between Sep and Dec 2002? Either way, perhaps a call to Vauxhall themselves to see if they'll assist with the repairs if just out of warranty.
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Aprilia
I believe the F23 is a Getrag 'box that has been used all over the world on various GM cars (inc. SAAB). The AG probably refers to the perticular gearset (ratios) used. The basic 'box itself is probably identical between applications, although the bellhousing may be different (they just bolt on).

You could try sourcing an F23 casing and swapping the internals over if they are OK.

Other possibilities:

Black Diamond are about the biggest rebuilders and may well have F23AG in stock (www.blackdiamond-ltd.co.uk ).

Alternatively, if you are in Leicester then give Top Gear a call (www.topgear.uk.com ) and ask to speak to Ian Burle - he may be able to help.
Hi Aprilia,

I've been to topgear, they said the casing should be fine if i swap it over but when the actual garage fitted it they said "it blew a cylinder" and so they swapped it with the one from my gearbox and it said it blew that too and then they got another one £65 and it blew that too :/ . Not very mechanically minded to understand this.

This image shows my gearbox and is what I replaced with the SK model which blew the cylinder. img44.imageshack.us/img44/1395/10012784rp.jpg

The BlackDiamond website shows F23 6 Speed, mine is 5 speed, but I will definately give them a ring to see what they have, hopefully they are open tomorrow.
It was registered in Sep 02 but I never thought about seeing if they can assist if it is jsut out of warranty.

Should I ring a dealer? as twice and being and they've never been forthcoming in the form "well, it's only just out warranty..." Is this common?

What exactly should I actually ask?
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Dynamic Dave
It would of course depend on what caused the damage, what mileage the car has done, and whether it had been regulary serviced by Vauxhall. Thinking about it, don't plod do their own servicing "in house" so to speak?

Anyway, if the car has done less than 60,000 miles and it was internal component failure, then it may be worth contacting Vauxhall on 01582 721122 (Their head office number) to see what they say.
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Stuartli
Try Vauxhall's online enquiry service at:

tinyurl.com/92f3g
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Where do scrapped Police cars go to? - Aprilia
cyb

I don't follow what you're on about when you talk about 'blew a cylinder' - is this something to do with the clutch? TopGear gave you the advice about swapping the internals over - I would be inclined to go along with that. Ian Burle has been in the business a long long time (he used to run a company called B&L Transmissions a good many years ago - I used to buy gearbox parts off him) - I would take his advice and not go somewhere cheaper for the sake of a few quid.
Dave, Stuart,

Darn, it's done 69K but I've emailed them, there's no harm in trying I suppose.

Aprilia,
I wish I had come across TopGear a lot earlier and I would have taken it to them. He'll charge me, but I think I will take the car out of the current garage and tow it to TopGear for some advice.

Currently this is what I have to do (reminder for self):

1. Ring BlackDiamond tmrw who may have the part.
. Ring Overton\Skiptions\DA Autparts tmrw who may have the part.

2. Received a reply on 5-0.com, need to ring Police Transport Office.

Erm these are my options at the moment.
No luck at the transport office. Have a couple more places to ring, but I am really getting pink fluffy dice offed by the garage my current car is at.

He just wpn't give me a straight answer to what it will cost, not even a quote, so I'm stuck in limbo I think I will jsut take the car out of that garage. Should he expect me to pay him anything?