Anti Freeze - car dummy
I've got a Mark 3 Golf . Where does the Anti-freeze go? I'm not sure how much to put in relation to water aswell, can anyone gimme advice on that too?

Also i recently had the Gear box changed and since then the speedometer doesn't work (rev counter still does though). I picked up a new speedo just in case (the mechanics who did the job told me the wiring was a mess and that a new clock would be needed), can anyone gimme advice on that also?

Cheers!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/02/2008 at 20:52

VW Anti Freeze - Xileno {P}
There's a round expansion tank on the passneger side of the engine bay. Antifreeze goes in there but don't know the recommended strenghth for this car.

I suspect the mechanics have disturbed the feed from the gearbox that provides the speedo with information. If it was working before the gearbox was changed, then I would take it back.
VW Anti Freeze - car dummy
wow thanks for the quick reply!
Yeah i had a feeling the mechanics were just trying to pass me on for some reason, i'll see what they say when I return.

Thanks
VW Anti Freeze - Peter D
Clearly you think there is no antifreeze in the water. Id that is so or not sure I would suggest entying the system, refill, run for 2 mins and empty it again ( Just remove bottom hose, beware of the water temperature. ) Reconnect hose and put 4 lts of good antifreeze and fill up with clean water. Run car until warm check level and replace cap. After a run check again for a drop in the level but golf's do not tend to get air in the system. There are 2 connector on top of the gearbox, One for the reversing light and one is the speedo pick up. The wire to this are prone to fracture and I suspect the mechs damaged it. Regards Peter
VW Anti Freeze - springyboy
There are many different types of antifreeze, not all are compatible with the materials used in different engines and not all can be mixed with each other, Make sure you get the right stuff for your engine. If you can completely drain the engine and refill with the right antifreeze you will know it's ok, If you have to top up what is already in the engine, (which might not be the original correct spec) I suggest you collect a glass jar half-full of the mixture already in the car, and add to it some of your new stuff, and watch what happens. If it sort of "curdles" in the jar you know that is what will happen in your engine potentially restricting flow of coolant and goodness knows what else.
I am sure there are very informative threads about Antifreeze on this or other sites to give further info.

Hope this helps