Oil change interval TDI 90 Polo - gramar
The handbook says change the oil every 10k - my mechanic says it's better to change it every 5k? I've been doing it every 5k but its a real chore removing and refitting the acoustic cover under the engine to gain access to the drain plug and filter (AHU engine fitted)

Will I compromise longevity by changing the oil every 10k?
I use Millers XFE, cover 1000 miles per month mostly commuting on fast dual carriageway - return trip of 80 miles.
Oil change interval TDI 90 Polo - mss1tw
Will I compromise longevity by changing the oil every 10k?
I use Millers XFE, cover 1000 miles per month mostly
commuting on fast dual carriageway - return trip of 80 miles.

I doubt it, those are perfect conditions for engine/oil.

You could always use an oil emptying pump like fast fit places do... someone posted a link t'other day.
Oil change interval TDI 90 Polo - Roger Jones
Take it to Kwik-Fit or National Tyres or equivalent and get an oil change (including filter) for less than you have to pay over the counter at Halfords or main dealer for the oil and filter. Even if it works out more costly, it won't be by much and you will be spared the hassle of the job and the need to dispose of the old oil. Getting Kwik-Fit to do Mobil 1 changes on two cars saves me nearly £100 a year in cash.

Kwik-Fit fixed prices (all Mobil), including filter and irrespective of quantity of oil needed:
£13.95 mineral oil
£18.95 semi-synthetic
£39.95 fully synthetic (Mobil 1)
(Prices for Zetec engines may be different. And, of course, prices for diesel-engine oil may be different.)

My local Kwik-Fit doesn't use an evacuation pump.

Don't worry about changing brands; frequent changes are much more important than brand.

Stick to your 5k interval and you'll be confident that you are prolonging the car's active life (wasn't that a dog-food ad?). That is, follow HJ's advice to change at 5k or six months, whichever comes first.
Oil change interval TDI 90 Polo - nortones2
I don't think there is a basis other than habit for changing oil frequently, if the pattern of use is not severe. Used oil analysis has shown very little wear so long as the specified oil is used. HGVs run the oil for much greater mileages, and none of the fleets would take a chance on compromising their 10 or 11 litre engines.