lacquering touch up help - zoodemon
hi, i've managed to get some touch up paint and lacquer for my megane, but there is nothing to clean up excess paint should i overfill etc. I've already spoken to chipsaway and they said it wasn't economical to do properly (in terms of recouping value), so they told me to touch it up myself.

Any tips/tools for cleaning excess paint from scratch/bodywork?
Also would i have to do the same with the lacquer? How do i blend that in?

thanks
touch up help - steveo3002
id suggest you purchase a tiny paint brush from a art/model shop, practice using the brush a little before you try on the car

the idea is not to go over the edges, try to level the surface with color and then brush a coat of clear once the color coat has dried

as for blending it in, well you can use 2000 grit paper and t-cut or farecla g3(avail from screwfix) but you'l never make it invisible and theres a good chance you could make things worse as the factory paint is thin

if you have a go and dont like it...cellulose thinners will wipe of the touch in and not affect factory paint
touch up help - cheddar
cellulose thinners will wipe of the touch in and not affect factory paint >>

Carefull, it might.
touch up help - Hamsafar
The method I use is derived what I saw demonstrated at a show.

I overfill the chip or scratch using a small brush, I don't worry about it overflowing, this is good.

I then use a mobile phone top up card or similar plastic card (FREE from the supermarket checkout) and squeegie the paint until level and wipe onto a cloth. You should do this before the paint goes sticky. Once you have done this, LEAVE IT TO DRY FULLY!
Don't fiddle with it as you'll ruin the fill.

Once fully dried, You can use Mer Polish, or Autoglym Cutting compound and buff away the paint around the scratch or chip. You can then see if another paint is required to fill the chip, if so, clean first with washing up liquid to remove any wax in the cutting coumpound. Repeat the process above. If metallic, you can use the clear top coat in the second coat. It works a treat as the repais should be totally flush once finished.
chedder....celly thinner wont touch factory paint, ive been a car painter for 16 yrs ;)
touch up help - zoodemon
well i've tried applying some paint and the larger bits look ok, the smaller bits look rough. Not sure wet and drying is gonna help as getting the paint on smooth seems to be the problem.
Maybe i'll try some thinners and start again. A mate has given me some rubbing compound but that says not to be used on metalic.

I think with my lack of knowledge/practise, it may end up looking twice as bad as before i started.
if its going on badly...try mixing a drip of thinners in with it so it brushes on better

you can still use the compound once the clear coat has been put on...id stay away from wet n dry because you can easily make it worse

touch up help - zoodemon
so does the rubbing compound just take a layer of everything off?
don't see how it will help if i've already put the lacquer on?

can you get cellulose thinners from places like b&q?
cheers
lacquer help - zoodemon
ok so i've tidied the paint up as best i can. i tried some lacquer on a small piece to see how i could go about blending it in when it had dried. i put some rubbing compound on it. didn't touch it doh!

I just had to remove the lacquered bit with a card, and i'll try again when i have a better idea what i'm doing.
should i use a tiny brush that just covers the touched up paint, or go over a bit and find out how to blend/smooth??

you can probably tell i'm clueless.
appreciate any help cheers
lacquering touch up help - zoodemon
ok i've been doing some touching up on my car, scratches look as good as i'm gonna get it. i tried some lacquer on a small piece to see how i could go about blending it in when it had dried. i put some rubbing compound on it. didn't touch it doh!

I just had to remove the lacquered bit with a card, and i'll try again when i have a better idea what i'm doing.
should i use a tiny brush that just covers the touched up paint, or go over a bit more and find out how to blend/smooth??

you can probably tell i'm clueless.
appreciate any help cheers
lacquering touch up help - bell boy
put the lacquer on so it just overlaps the new paint and leave it alone to fully harden for a week then t/cut/compound in.dont forget to make sure that all old polish has been removed from area before you start