Clio 1.4 RT - Steering probs - HELP!! - ZoePearson
Hello

I was driving from nottingham to sheffield a couple of nights ago, when I came off the motorway the cars steering became very heave (worse on the right). I have checked the power steering fluid, and all is fine. What else could the problem be?? And does anyone know a decent garage in sheffield that isn't gonna charge the earth

Many thanks

Zoe Pearson
Clio 1.4 RT - Steering probs - HELP!! - Mondaywoe
Hi Zoe

This does sound a bit like your power steering has gone, but other things could cause heavy steering. Have you checked the front tyre pressures? A tyre with very low pressure would give a bit of resistance. Could possibly be stiffness in ball joints or suchlike - but that wouldn't happen all of a sudden.

It would be useful to get both front wheels jacked up to see what it feels like with both wheels clear of the ground.

It's also just conceivable that a steering rack boot has split letting in water. (My mums Clio had a split boot - I changed them for her - really fiddly job on the Clio because for some odd reason the boots are interconnected with a rubber hose. I imagine this is to relieve air pressure within them as they expand and contract. Anyway, getting the hose back onto the boots needs 6" long fingers - preferably of something not covered in skin!)

Get it checked - for your own safety.

Graeme