Air-con Bacteria - RogerL
While on holiday in the US, I saw spray cans for disinfecting the heater inlet and air-con ducting to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungus. Is anything similar available in the UK?
Re: Air-con Bacteria - Robert Evans
The easiest remedy to prevent the build up of bacteria in the air con tubes (which in time will start emitting a very unpleasant smell) is to switch to maximum heat for a few minutes every so often - straight after using the a/c - so as to dry out all the tubes and prevent the growth of bacteria. I wouldn't trust a spray can, - it wouldn't really be able to penetrate all the tubes, surely?
Re: Air-con Bacteria - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Yes, Wynns make a product called Airco clean, available from accessory shops.
Works brilliantly.
Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - David Lacey
We use a fogging machine which atomises the product and left in the car with the heater set to recirc.

Seems to work quite well, too.

The aerosol sprays are a hit and miss affair, quite obviously. Unless unrestricted access can be gained to the evap.

Perhaps Dave N could comment?
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Fred Stoat
Don't know about car aircon but we recently took over airconditioned officed where the aircon hadn't been cleaned out properly and half of my team went down with flu-like symptoms.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - richard price
i believe with all types of air conditioning (certainly commercial type) you have to be aware of the Liegonella (heaven knows how you spell it) bacteria.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - RogerL
Robert Evans suggests running at max heat for a while but this will only affect the system downstream of the heater matrix which is after the cooler matrix. Aerosol spray through the intake vents and the re-circ vents while the system is running seems the only way to do it.

I shall certainly look out for the Wynns Airco Clean product referred to.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Dave N
You are right about about turning on the heater does nothing to dry the evaporator, as it is down stream.

I've not had a great deal of success with aerosols, as most seem to be more deodoriser than proper cleaner. Once the pleasant smell subsides, nothing appears to have changed. My usual equipment has a long spray nozzle that you can get right into the evaporator (with a bit of component removal), and use a 'proper' cleaner. Even then, I have to admit, it's effectiveness seems to vary. Sometimes I think it's worked great, and the customer doesn't, and vice-versa.

I am going to try some new aerosols from Forte, as this is a reputable company, and in theory it can be done without any dismantling by using the recirc function. Is yours smelly, or are you just worried about bacteria? As a rule, if it doesn't smell, it won't have any bacteria on it. You can take a look at www.autoair.co.uk/smells for a bit more info.

If you email me direct, I will send you a can of the new Forte a/c cleaner for you to try out FOC, as long as you let me know how you get on with it.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Carl
I was looking to use the aerosol treatment on my 98 Primera, the instructions on the can state to set the A/C to recirculate and spray into the recirc air inlet, suggesting that it is via the vents located in the footwells.

Does anyone know where the recirc air inlet is for my car, as it is not the footwells as suggested, or any of the other air vents. I have tried placing my hand or a piece of paper over each vent in turn to see if there is any suction to no avail.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Bono Estente
Carl,

could you say how I would remove the glove box and replace the ventilation filter on my 98 Primera? Nissan mailed me an exploded diagram, but I'm still baffled. I did a search on Primera and noted you have renewed yours.

I run a 1.6 they build a good car in Sunderland, yes?
Will do an investigation of the cabin airflow and post my findings if any.

With thanks.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Carl
Remove four screws holding glovebox to dash
Remove two screws holding glovebox lid striker plate, and striker plate.
Remove glovebox, noting that it is clipped to passenger side footwell trim
In front of you is a large plastic chamber, in which is fitted a 6'' by 1'' plastic cover with one screw
Remove screw and then slide out plastic cover.
Pollen Filter can be pulled from plastic chamber
Reverse the above to put it all back together (sorry to sound like a Haynes Manual)
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Dave N
Should be behind the glovebox.
Re: Air-con Bacteria/FAO Dave N @ Autoair - Bono Estente
Well Carl obviously doesn't write those instruction sheets for Ikea then. :)

That was great Carl, muchas thanks.

Right , look in the passenger footwell, you'll see two struts that brace the dash to the floor. look above the right hand strut, there are two silver phillips screws, mine have a blob of blue paint on each. Aim the spray at the ducting directly above the mid-point of these screws, and it will hit the spot.

I've used so much smoke testing all positions of the heater controls - seems to vent best with the left hand dial (distribution) turned fully left or fully right - that I expect the bugs in the pipes have expired before I've even found the spray product you guys are talking about.

B.E.
Re: Air-con Bacteria - RogerL
I don'y know about Nissan but Vauxhalls use the screen demist vents as intake on recirc.