Wet Mondeo carpets. - Red Baron
My 2003 5 door mondeo, when it rains, gets a soggy carpet in the rear offside footwell.

Ford cover water ingress for only 1 year!!!!

I took the door trim off and found the membrane to be intact. The black seal around the edges of it seemed to be all there. The section under the loudspeaker mount had no sealant and so I added some (carpet still gets wet).

I've had a quick look at the door seal and it appears okay. The drain holes in the door are all there and not blocked.

I can sometimes see a puddle of water on the rubber seal on top of the door cill.

My guess is that the water in the door, as it drains out of the hole (nearest the hinge) tracks inwards rather than down and outwards, giving me a very wet carpet.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Wet Mondeo carpets. - Pugugly {P}
Don't mk1 Focii leak in a similar way through their pollen filters ?
Wet Mondeo carpets. - Dave E
My '03 Mondeo was back and forth umpteen times for something similar but on the drivers side. It turned out to be the door membrane which doesn't help you in this case. But one thing that was looked at was the door rubber as it runs down the roof to the bottom edge of the windscreen. It has a largish moulding that is meant to divert water away but it can get damaged and cause the water to go elsewhere.

Worth a look.
Wet Mondeo carpets. - L'escargot
Don't mk1 Focii leak in a similar way through their pollen
filters ?

My first one did, but only if I parked across a slope with the passenge's side higher than the driver's.
--
L\'escargot.
Wet Mondeo carpets. - johnsnc
My 2002 car did this . Being a lease car it was just a case of throwing it at the nearest dealership. I was told it was the door membrane that was at fault but I have no further details . Sorry.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

I've had another look - in the dark and rain. There appear to be fresh trickles of water at the back and bottom of the speaker unit in the door. Perhaps it is coming in there after all. Should the back of the speaker unit be open to the door or should there be some sort of covering over that?

Tomorrow I'll also have a closer look at the door seal. I was thinking that water may be getting in dsome of the holes further up and running down inside the door seal (even though its on the car rather than the door) as this is just a hollow tube.

Thanks
Wet Mondeo carpets. - cheddar
>>I can sometimes see a puddle of water on the rubber seal on top of the door cill.>>

I have this, a little water on the sill, NSR of my 2002 Mondeo, not enough for soaking carpets though am going to look more tomorrow, compare notes then.

It really has rained though!
Wet Mondeo carpets. - J1mbo
The only way to fix the problem is to remove the whole membrain, and refit using clear sealant rather than butyl tape(use new membrain). I had water leaks the whole duration of my Mondeo ownership(all doors), the only way I totally fixed it was to buy a Mazda 6!

Try using sealant, that should help, no point in trying to seal each "bit" as it will leak somewhere else. Believe me, I've been there many many times!
Update and for future reference.

I have finally fixed the leak.

The black sealant (not tape) from OE had a very small pinhole along the bottom edge, allowing water into the cabin almost instantly when it rained.

My guess is that the pinhole used to be a blister in the sealant (from OE) that over time, with the assistance of thermal expansion and contraction, grew to span the width of the black sealant. Any probing and prodding will have only made it worse.

I left everything in place and added copious amounts of B&Q bathroom sealant along the bottom edge and up the sides. Overnight rain and the garden hose would not get it to leak.