Need new car suggestions - Ichibod
I need to change my current car 1996 clio to something larger - ive got a beautiful 1 year old daughter and the associated pushchairs/highchairs/shopping that comes as part of the package.

The main problem is that the clio rears seats just arent suitable for a child seat to fit in securely. The seat section is so spongey it allows the child seat to move approx 30 degrees from vertical when you tug it forward.

I also need the extra boot space.

Ive also changed jobs which means my driving pattern mainly involves alot of short (less than 2 mile journeys x 5 each day on average) trips but also need to get on the motorway to do weekly 40 mile trips and occasional(monthly) long trips.

Im looking to spend £6k tops but if i could get something decent for £3k id be even happier.

MPG, safety, load space are the main criteria. I'd be looking to keep the car for 3years +.

as short stop/start trips are my main journey what engine would be best diesel or petrol.

All opinions/recommendations welcomed. i'm thinking mondeo size or MPV
Need new car suggestions - blue_haddock
I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to recommend a mondeo.

Me personally, i'll respond in the morning when i'm sober and won't be blindly led into a rash decision!
Need new car suggestions - DavidHM
On those criteria alone, I'd go for a Laguna over a Mondeo.

However you'd then have to discount reliability as a criterion... of course if you could get a good one, you'd have a superb car for very little money. It's just the odds of getting one are not especially high.

Personally I prefer diesels - they're easier to drive at low revs and less thirsty, but they cost more to buy and the Laguna particularly is known for eating turbos, which can be new engine time, writing off even a four year old car. Therfore, if it were a Laguna, and given how cheap they are, I'd go for a petrol one.

www.ukcar.com/sub_domains/cardesc.asp?stockno=4541...4 something like this would do although this one is a diesel. But do consider very seriously a warranty from Warranty Direct (link on your left) if you go down the Laguna route.
Need new car suggestions - Altea Ego
Laguna 2s are no good for young kids in car seat in back. despite the isofix mountings they are a pain to fix, they are low with restricted rear door that mean you rick your back in no time.

PS I dont know anyone who has chewed up a turbo in a laguna. Its far less prevalent than people make out.

My vote? A scenic or a picasso. A facelifted scenic 1 is my suggestion.
--
RF - Da DAA. < changes in phone box > Its TOURVAN man
Need new car suggestions - mrmender
Forget baggy old mondeo's for 3k you can get a late old model Nissan primera hatch good relaiable all rounder but as boring as dish water, Very under rated so you should be able to get a bargain. No cam belts to worry about
Just sold my Dad's S 1.6 Si 1998 S reg very low mileage We sruggeled to get 1400quid for it... Someone had a absolute bargain
Need new car suggestions - blue_haddock
Now being sober my thoughts would be you should look at something like the Primera as suggested above or an Accord or Avensis. Almost certainly less trouble than a laguna and a better long term bet than a vectra or mondeo.

For £3k you should be able to find a nice example with little trouble.
Need new car suggestions - tyro
Im looking to spend £6k tops but if i could get
something decent for £3k id be even happier.
MPG, safety, load space are the main criteria. I'd be looking
to keep the car for 3years +.

Safety: Renault have been posting consistently good NCAP scores for a few years.

MPG - suggests diesels, and Renault do some economical diesels

load space - either a Laguna or a Kangoo.

If you were looking at, say 2003, Autotrader suggests you'd get a Laguna (Ncap 5 star) starting at £5000 to £5500. A Kangoo (ncap 4 star) would come in cheaper, but there are fewer around.

If, for example, you were looking at an Avensis, you'd be looking at a car a few years older - and an old model Avensis would be ncap 3 star)
On second thoughts, I'd say Skoda Octavia Tdi

ncap 4 star since 2001. Good luggage space. Economical diesel. According to Autotrader you should get a 2002 model for £5000. And owner satisfaction has been consistently excellent in all recent surveys.
Need new car suggestions - mrmender
Many people comming up with Laguna's being top of the crash test record..... They will also be even more safe as you will not get to drive it that often as it will be in the garage being repaired! comes very low in the top gear relaiability survey, also look it up in th HJ directory does not do well there either!
Need new car suggestions - Xileno {P}
You do not say what mileage you are doing. If it is not more than 12K I would suggest a petrol vehicle, unless you particularly like the way diesels drive (lots of torque etc)
You will also get better VFM since there's nearly always a premium for going diesel.

Laguna 2 did not get off to a brilliant start, there were some problems but these were largely sorted by 2003 - so stick to that year onwards. If you go for a diesel, the 1.9dCi is a better engine that the 2.2 which is not much faster and a bit less economical. The 2.2 is also a bit more awkward to do certain repairs on.

There have been reports of EGR valves failing and turbos blowing but how representative these are I don't know. Remember you generally only hear the bad cases. However Renault dealers are now issued with a special tool that checks the operation of the EGR valve. In my opinion the Renault dCi engine is sound, the problem is the 18K service interval which I (and many others) consider too long. I would strongly recommend these engines have their oil and filter changed at 9K and only use a good quality fully synthetic. Plenty of Renault specific info at www.renaultforums.co.uk

I think if I were in your position I would consider a MPV, so a Scenic is a possibility but also the Picasso or the Zafira.

HTH

Xileno

Need new car suggestions - barchettaman
Remember, if you get a Kangoo you can leave the baby in its buggy, parked sideways on in the tailgate. Saves your back, none of that messing with child seats.

I am joking by the way.
Need new car suggestions - MichaelR
You will get an excellent top of the range 2000 Mk2 Mondeo for £3k or less. 2.0 16v will be the best to go for, pretty economical out of town, front passenger, driver and side airbags for safety, ABS, traction control as well. You also get cruise, leather, climate control and electric seats, onboard computer, CD changer etc.

Absolutely loads of car for the money, nicer to drive than a Primera, and not 'baggy', which I found a bit confusing but there we go.

I've had 18 months utterly reliable motoring out of 120k V plate one so far. I love it, shown in the fact I find it difficult not to envangalise about it :)
Need new car suggestions - BobbyG
Would definitely suggest an MPV for your criteria. There seems to be a lot of Picassos about that are ex-motability. Might be worth asking your local Citroen dealer or even checking the auctions to see who have motability sales.

With your mileage, I think the initial purchase price would be the clincher. Whether you get petrol or diesel, there will be calculations to tell you that both are best. If you are looking to hold onto it for a few years then I would suggest diesel.
Need new car suggestions - Happy Blue!
Unless you mileage is more than 12,000 miles pa then I would reckon that petrol is better than diesel.

Having had three children, I would strongly recommend a car that is higher than a typical hatch or saloon. Back pain and knocking your head a typical problems with getting children into or out of cars.

Hyundai Matrix
Renault Scenic mk 1
Renault Kangoo
Citroen Berlingo
Citroen Picasso
Ford Fusion
Honda Shuttle
Mitsubishi Spacewagon

Any small 4x4
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Michael is the only person to have mentioned ABS so far, but if you are concerned about safety, you'll certainly want anti-lock brakes. While they are standard on all new cars now, be aware that at the beginning of 2002, for example, they were not standard on the Kangoo, the Berlingo, or the Zafira.

ESP would be good, but is so recent that you might find it difficult to find a car with ESP in your budget.