sierra starting problems - sierraboy
hi, i have a '92 sierra 1.8 LX estate. The problem i have is my car won't start when cold it turns over a few times then fires up it then cuts out straight away, i then try it again it will now run for about 10 seconds before cutting out, once tried again it will run so i can pull away but there is no power, it will die down then it then picks up. at this stage it may stall again or be okay.
I have tried new plugs and set the gaps, also replaced rotor arm and distributor cap, with no change.
Once engine is warm it starts fine and runs fine.
Can someone please help me. Thankyou.
sierra starting problems - Civic8
Have you checked the coil and HT leads,sounds like HT fault?
--
Steve
sierra starting problems - sierraboy
how you mean check them, i assumed that were alright as the car runs fine when being driven after the normal usual messing around.
sierraboy
sierra starting problems - bell boy
92 sierra is the vv carb?
they for some reason when old drain back fuel when been stood, occasionaly i could only get them started on snuff,the only thing i can suggest is strip the carb down and look for the non obvious as i never found the problem ......sorry
sierra starting problems - Number_Cruncher
If its a VV, before spending a huge amount of time, I tend to take the carb off, and replace both the large diaphragm on the side, and the small one underneath.

The automatic choke housings tend to work loose - the whole choke housing can be wiggled about while the carb stays still. I found that the only way to keep them in place for a reasonable amount of time was to loctite the screws that pass between the choke housing and the carburretor. The Bi-metal spring housing has to come off before you can get to these screws.

Having done that, you stand a chance of being able to set the carb up properly.

Number_Cruncher
sierra starting problems - dieselhead
Don't think they used a ford carb, 92 1.6 CVH's used a pierburg carb. Symptoms point to a autochoke fault. Take air cleaner off when it's cold and check choke flap is closed.
sierra starting problems - sierraman
Yes it is a Pierburg and I would second Dieselhead.Try giving carb a good clean with carb cleaner,outside as well,then lubricate linkages.If it still will not close properly best to fit a manual choke conversion rather than messing about with the auto,you might find a suitable one at a scrapyard.