306 rev counter problem - puggered
hi, i have a '97 1.6lt 306. Problem Is Sometimes My 306 Shows Really Low Revs On Its Rev Counter, Even Though The Car Still Feels The Same, When Raising The Revs Up Whilst Either Stationery Or During Driving The Rev Needle All Of A Sudden Jumps Up To What It Should Read And Then As The Revs Get Lower Like When Releasing Throttle Pedal The Revs Drop Down To Idle Speed And Then Just Drops Down Even Further To Like Half Idle Speed.
i also used to get the problem when the car would drop its revs when you released the throttle pedal and the car would stall, but it doesnt seem to do it now, it seems to have fixed its stalling problem itself.
Has Anyone Had This Problem Or Any Info On Likely Cause Ie Like What Causes It, Please Could You Let Me No.
Thanks In Advance.
Puggered.
306 rev counter problem - puggered
update, i have also noticed that the rev counter needle also flicks around and gives false readings whilst driving the car normally.

{Unnecessary quoting of previous post removed - DD}
306 rev counter problem - jefknighty
I recently had erratic idling and a sometime variable revving on my 97R 1.4

Turns out this was voltage spike from the coil pack that had fried my ECU- all replaced the wince-inducing cost of £600 inc £275 for new ECU. (on the plus, i get 10 more mpg out of it now!)

However as far as i could tell from reading around I think this only affects 1.4 and 1.8 engines.

I know this ain't v helpful, but worth a look.