Golf brake failure - Darcy Kitchin

Got an anguished call last Sunday night from my wife who had stopped the company Mk4 Golf in a pub car park 40 miles from home because a red light with an exclamation mark was blinking at her from the dash and chiming while it flashed. It was the car telling her that the brake fluid was low. This is obviously the car's revenge for us talking previously about a sporty coupe while it was listening!

It was a filthy night and I was alcoholically unfit to drive. My faith in the design of twin-circuit brakes was complete so I asked Madame to drive home at reduced speed and avoid using the brakes unless necessary. She arrived home safely and I took the car off the road.

Topped the fluid up with some DOT4 this morning and stood on the brake pedal; it went slowly to the floor. A look under the car showed a puddle of fluid by the left rear wheel. Off came the wheel and more pressing of the pedal by an assistant showed a leak from the joint between the banjo and the brake caliper. The car is not 3 years old with 52K miles on the clock so it will go back to the dealers and I hope it will be fixed under warranty.

Any backroomers with experience of brake failure on Golfs or other VWs?
I hope it's a one-off.
Re: Golf brake failure - David W
Darcy,

I have only ever suffered leaks from rear cylinders and very very slight ones from caliper seals, oh yes and on wickedly corroded lines on very old cars.

Never seen an existing joint on a newish car leaking, unless recently disturbed and not properly tightened.

The good lady not been off-roading with it?

David
Re: Golf brake failure - David Lacey
Could be a vehicle recall methinks?

Unless it has been previously disturbed by a dealership monkey, that is :-)

Glad all turned out OK, though. At least it didn't spoil your alcoholic evening too much, Darcy!

David
Re: Golf brake failure - John Davis
Might the brake fluid have been changed sometime over the last three years. I cannot remember the VW recommendation on time/mileage etc but did a technician use this banjo as the exit point for the old fluid instead of the the more normal bleed nipple and, possibly, was the copper washer not fit for further use ?
Re: Golf brake failure - Honest John
This was a fault on Audi A3s due to the mix of metals used at this point leading to corrosion. Hadn't heard of it before on a Mk IV but they are basically the same car so will add to car by car breakdown.

HJ
Re: Golf brake failure - Darcy Kitchin
DW
not been off-roading so far as I know

DL
It's difficult to live with someone for nearly 25 years and not be affected by stress factor 9 in their voice, but I did recover after lowing the level of the 'fiddich a tad thank you

JD
I's been dealer serviced by the book and never had a fluid change. I would put money on the union or the bleed nipple never having had a spanner on either.

HJ
From the posts above, do I infer that there's a steel union into an alloy caliper separated by a copper washer? Incredible, it's GCSE chemistry suff.