New Supermini for my Mother - MokkaMan
My mother (aged 72) wants to buy a new car next year. She has no interest at all in badges / marques. Her key criteria will be value for money (and yes she likes to get a new car because "she likes to know where it has been".) I think she is unlikely to want to spend much more than £8,500 (after discounts)

She wants 5 doors, cd player, electric windows, aircon, ideally a sunroof and low insurance & servicing costs. The car will have to be strongly built and mechanically reliable (she has kept her last car seven years and so will not change it for quite a while). She refuses to drive an automatic (there is not much point in discussing it - I have tried.......).

I think the following may be worth a punt:-

Kia Rio
Hyundai Getz (I believe this is the
Suzucki Swift

But which one and which trim.

View please - thanks
New Supermini for my Mother - PandaFan
Perhaps you could also consider the 'new' Fiat Panda. My mother (aged 74!) has one and absolutely loves it. It seems to fit your required spec perfectly.
New Supermini for my Mother - DavidHM
I've driven the Rio and the Getz and the difference between them is huge - the Rio simply demolishes the Getz in every conceivable area from the dealers' attitude to space, performance, equipment, handling, refinement, etc.

Not looked at the Swift or the Panda but the Rio will take some serious beating.
New Supermini for my Mother - Happy Blue!
My mother aged over 80 drives a Suzuki Wagon R. Not the greatest car except it is phenomenally easy to get into and out of, and easy to drive because of the driving position and visibility. Recommended for the less agile.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New Supermini for my Mother - mrmender
My mother aged over 80 drives a Suzuki Wagon R.
Not the greatest car except it is phenomenally easy to get
into and out of, and easy to drive because of the
driving position and visibility. Recommended for the less agile.

Don't know that much about super mini's. Last year my Dad (78) was finding it difficult to get in and out of his primera, not having much sucess in trying to get him to give up driving,
We showed him a Wagon R very easy for him to get in and out and good driver visability. Once you get past the post man pat van looks it's quite a practical vehicle we also found that there was better deals to be had on the Vauxhall Agilla which is the same car..... Fortunatly for us all he agreed to give up driving!
My 10 Y/O son christened his primera the Dent mobile!
Happy hunting
New Supermini for my Mother - Manatee
I can second that the Panda is a good drive at least in Dynamic guise, having just bought one for son to drive. If you buy from the right place a Dynamic plus aircon and Skydome (assuming you can spec both on the same car)should come close to £7000 even with metallic paint- it does have electric (front) windows and a CD player too.

New Supermini for my Mother - miroku1949
I suggest that she test drives the Toyota Yaris.This has everything she requires and the reliability record is superb.
My wife bought one eighteen months ago and is totally satisfied with it.
New Supermini for my Mother - AlastairW
Would she be able to get a Jazz in her budget?
New Supermini for my Mother - spikeyhead {p}
Either a fabia or or yaris
--
I read often, only post occasionally
New Supermini for my Mother - carl_a
You won't get a new Jazz with Aircon for £8500, will struggle to get a Yaris with aircon too.

Getz and Rio surgested already, how about some of the other asian alternatives, the Kia Picanto, Daihatsu Sirion and Mitsubishi Colt.
Thanks for the replies:

Is the Panda "Supermini size" - I thought it was more a "City Car" size? My mother paints and regularly carries picture frames in the back with the seats down - so it can't be too small

I had discounted the Yaris because I believe it will be replaced soon....?

A Jazz is out of the money.

From memory, The Getz does a five year warranty and five years free servicing. Is this worth having or is the Rio simply that much better a car. I have driven the old Rio (which probably ranks as one of the worst cars I have been in), but I have read nothing but praise for the new one, so we will definitely look at it).

Thanks again for the replies
New Supermini for my Mother - T Lucas
Kia Picanto,fab little car,just this week i have moved a huge amount of gear from IKEA up and down the motorway,lively,quiet,good a/c and cheap as chips.
New Supermini for my Mother - tyre tread
If she's in reasonably good condition and a hard worker then it might be a reasonable deal.

New Supermini for my Mother - David Horn
My Grandad (88 and still an extremely competent driver) is thinking about swapping his Honda Accord SE for a Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris.

Anything we should be looking out for?
New Supermini for my Mother - barchettaman
Gan, the Panda is usefully big inside with the seats down. I took the shower doors back from B&Q in a hired one, with my head hanging out the driver´s window Ace Ventura - style.
Give one a guy, it´s a lovely little car with a bit of personality.
New Supermini for my Mother - barchettaman
Gan, the Panda is usefully big inside with the seats down. I took the shower doors back from B&Q in a hired one, with my head hanging out the driver´s window Ace Ventura - style.
Give one a go, it´s a lovely little car with a bit of personality.
New Supermini for my Mother - Bill Payer
Anything we should be looking out for?

We've had a Jazz for 2yrs. If you mean faults on second-hand ones then I don't know. No issues with ours since we got it, but then I wouldn't expect any.

More generally, it's a very easy car to drive, and its higher seating makes access easy for older people. The only issue driving it is that the front A posts are wide (as they are on lots of cars now) so you really need to move your head to ensure you haven't missed cyclists at junctions etc.
I am going with my mother tomorrow to see the Suzuki Swift 1.3Gl 5 door @ £7,899 and the Kia Rio Zapp @ £7,495. The Kia appears to me to be exceptional value for money and has air-con which the Swift does not. However I would say the Swift looks more stylish and comes equipped with better safety kit (more airbags).

Does anyone have a particular favourite out of the two?

Also my mother has a Renault Clio 1.2 5 door Grande (98 S) with 25,000 miles. What should I ask the dealer for px (£2,500?) and what should I settle for (£1,750?). My mother is too old for the Kia's free insurance (it is for 18-70). Is is worth asking for any freebies instead (mats/flaps), etc

Many thanks

GAN