Court summons - The Lawman
My secretary's daughter has gotten herself into a bit of a scrape. In June she allowed her then boyfriend (now ex)to use her car to get to work while his car was off the road. He was not named on her policy, but assured her that he was covered to drive her car by virtue of his own policy (presumably the usual clause in fully comp policies allowing one to drive another car belonging to someone else as long as it is insured...)

He got stopped (don't know why) and given a producer. He didn't comply with it. First she knows of it is when the police turn up at her door. If I understand the story right, they told her that as long as he produced the documents to the Mags court pronto, there would be no further action.

He assured her that he had done so. It now seems that he has not, and she is being prosecuted for allowing him to drive the car uninsured and with no MOT. No idea if he is being prosecuted as well.

In the interim (and prior to the split up) she sold the car to him. It had a valid MOT, and he now has the certificate.

I know nothing about Mags procedure, but have advised that she should get a duplicate MOT cert from the garage that issued it. That should knock the MOT part of the claim on the head.

As regards the insurance, I have said that obviously if the ex was insured, that will knock that claim on the head also.

If he is not insured, is it a valid defence for her to argue that she genuinely believed that he was?

Also, If he will not play ball and co-operate (I do not know on what terms the romance ended, but I expect unhappily..)is there any way that we can independantly find out if he was insured?

I know it seems bizarre for a solicitor to be seeking legal advice, but I know nothing about Magistrates procedure or traffic offences, and am sure that someone on here might have a few pearls of wisdom!
Court summons - Happy Blue!
Speak to Barry Warburton in Altrincham - traffic lawyer to the stars (and me!) - Far better than that Nick Freeman bloke.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Court summons - jc
Many insurance companies(including GRE)are removing the third party cover on other vehicles at the request of the police.
I heard something like that. Still, if she genuinely believed him, she might have a defence, or this a strict liability offence?
Court summons - sierraman
The owner has responsibilty,she should have checked his insurance.I know in real life it can be awkward-what,don't you trust me?-but a verbal assurance is not enough.
Thanks, but she can't afford it! She needs someone local (suffolk) if she is going to be represented at court.
Court summons - Happy Blue!
Yes, but he's a nice guy and may offer you (another lawyer I assume) some free advice. Certainly his advice to me has been FOC, but then we are mutual clients of each other.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Court summons - jc
Is she a AA or RAC member or some other company who offer legal representation?
Court summons - Bill Payer
Don't know the ages of the people involved, but Driving Other Cars insurance often only covers policyholders over 25.

This whole thing sounds sufficiently complicated that I would hope/imagine that if she went along to court, can produce the MOT, her insurance for the car, and can say that ex-boyfriend had his own car insurance and had assured her he was covered, then they may well dismiss it.
It probably wouldn't do any harm for her to burst into tears during this process! A lot (everything, really) depends on the Mags you get on the day.
If she takes after her mother, whe will be able to turn the waterworks on at will.
Court summons - lordy
ho ho ho!

let me be the last to let you down....
Court summons - cheddar
>>and she is being prosecuted for allowing him to drive the car uninsured and with no MOT. No idea if he is being prosecuted as well.>>

I really would not have thought that this is an offence. He was (possibly) the offender, not her, she had the car legally insured and MOT'd, he commited the offence by driving it 'if' he was not insured to do so.

Allowing someone to drive your car who may not be insured is stupid however it is the other party that is the offender - surely?

Yes that's right Cheddar, she has been summoned to court and prosecuted for a non-existent offence.

Jeez.
Court summons - defender
Actualy cheddar might be sort of half right here,if permission was given only to drive the car on his own insurance and he was not insured then he has also guilty of taking a car without permission in which case liability should be removed from the girl.proving this condition would be the deciding factor
Court summons - No FM2R
He was guilty of an offence - driving without insurance.

However so was she, since the onus is upon her to check that he is insured, not simply believe that he is.

To be lied to is not a defence, it is a mitigation.

But you really need Pugugly to show up.
That's really the nub of it. It's certainly mitigation (if she is believed) but I an not sure if this is a strict liability offence or whether the court needs to establish the necessary element of intent ("mens rea" in lawyer's latin).
Court summons - No FM2R
I believe it is absolute. Hence the wide variety and scope of punishments available.
I suspect you are right. Whatabout a hypothetical situation where the ex was insured in the past (and had a certificate) but had let the policy lapse (non payment of direct debits say). He shows her the certificate, so she lets him drive.

Would this be an offence on her part? If it was (and in the extremely unlikely event she was prosecuted)I suspect she would get a discharge. Would still be a conviction though which would seem v. harsh.

I suspect Pugugly is at court!
Court summons - No FM2R
Don't forget they always have the option not to proceed. But if proceed they did, it would be a conviction since the facts are clear.
Court summons - Bill Payer
I really would not have thought that this is an offence.
He was (possibly) the offender, not her, she had the car
legally insured and MOT'd, he commited the offence by driving it
'if' he was not insured to do so.
Allowing someone to drive your car who may not be insured
is stupid however it is the other party that is the
offender - surely?

It's pretty specific with vehicles, as the owner is expected to be in charge of the use of the vehicle.

You can, of course, be prosecuted for all sorts things were you've in some way allowed, or contributed to, or ignored, an offence being committed.
Court summons - cheddar
Perhaps Defender has hit the nail on the head:

>>if permission was given only to drive the car on his own insurance and he was not insured then he has also guilty of taking a car without permission in which case liability should be removed from the girl>>

I.e: a statement such as "I will allow you to use my car only if you ensure that you are legally insured to drive it" puts the onus on the 3rd party to the extent that if he was not legally insured then he effectively took the car without permission.
Court summons - Bromptonaut
"Gotcha" letters from our local SCP refer to possiblity of this offence should you claim a foreigner was driving.
Cheddar, you are wrong. There is a specific statutory offence of allowing another to drive your car while not insured. As to the prospect of getting the ex prosecuted for taking without consent, you are having a laugh surely.
Court summons - cheddar
Cheddar, you are wrong. There is a specific statutory offence of allowing another to drive your car while not insured. As to
the prospect of getting the ex prosecuted for taking without consent, you are having a laugh surely.

My point was pure conjecture, with regard to the taking without consent clearly he did not nick it. Though if she had said "you can only use if you are insured to drive it" then if he was not insured to drive it perhaps it amounts to the same thing?, again conjecture.

Court summons - cheddar
Before I get shot down in flames, this is but a question:

>>There is a specific statutory offence of allowing another to drive your car while not insured.>>

In law would - "you can use it if you are insured to drive it" - be deemed as 'allowing' per se or would the caveat 'if' be relevant?
Court summons - Dwight Van Driver
Using, causing or permitting a vehicle to be on a road without Insurance is an absolute offence and expressively held to be so Tapsell v Maslen [1967].

The lady was not using, nor is it stated she directed him to use hence cause which leaves permitting.

However, a person does not 'permit' (with what I presume the lady is charged with) to be used uninsured is she allows another to use the vehicle ONLY ON THE EXPRESS CONDITION that that person would first insure it. When the borrower of the vehicle used it without Insurance it was held that HE was using without Insurance as required by the owner, he was using it without the owner's permission and thus the owner could not be convicted of permitting See Newbury v David [1975]

It would seem this is an area which under the circumstances outlined by Lawman can be finely argued by a Solicitor well versed in Traffic law to try and gain an aquittal.

As to a charge of TWOC against HIM very doubtful from the circumstances Court unlikely to convict due to defence under Section 12 (6) Theft Act 1968 = done in the belief that he had lawful authority to use the vehicle and that he would have the owners consent if the owner knew he was using the vehicle and the circumstances of it.

No such loop hole under MOT but than can be resolved by obtaining a duplicate from the Testing Station.

dvd
Thanks DVD that's very helpful. The two cases you cite both predate the 1988Road Traffic Act (under which she has been charged) but I suspect the previous law was similar and the cases will still be persuasive.

Let's hope he was insured after all.
Court summons - Dalglish
for the benefit of non-lawyers who do not have access to the 1988 act, it says
Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52)
143.?(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part of this Act?
(a) a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act, and
(b) a person must not cause or permit any other person to use a motor vehicle on a road unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that other person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act.
(2) If a person acts in contravention of subsection (1) above he is guilty of an offence.

(3) A person charged with using a motor vehicle in contravention of this section shall not be convicted if he proves?
(a) that the vehicle did not belong to him and was not in his possession under a contract of hiring or of loan,
(b) that he was using the vehicle in the course of his employment, and
(c) that he neither knew nor had reason to believe that there was not in force in relation to the vehicle such a policy of insurance or security as is mentioned in subsection (1) above.

Court summons - No FM2R
dvd,

But surely the only final acceptance of that defence would be that the other party was at least charged with TWOC ?

It can only be either with or without consent; given that without knowledge is deemed without consent.

Therefore either one is guilty of allowing or the other is guilty of TWOC - surely it is not possible for both or neither to be the case.

M.

p.s. still not smoking.
Court summons - Dwight Van Driver
Well done FM2R - hows the girth? 2" on yet?

You will appreciate Dad and son where Son takes Dads car and gets into a spot of bother part of which could fall on Dad as owner of the vehicle. In an attempt to escape this Dad say nay he didn't have my permission. But on being asked if son had asked would he have given permission or understood that this would have been forthcoming the answer is yes. Whilst Dad did not give permission for that particular journey then the circs were such that there wasn't a taking because of this.

dvd
Court summons - Dalglish
If he is not insured

>>

as far as i can make out from this story, so far the only certain thing is that the boyfriend has failed to produce the documents. there is no evidence to say that the documents did not exist at the time the producer was issued.

so he may well be insured as he had said he was, and the mot should be on record.

so, the other questions are hypothetical until that is sorted, right or wrong ?
Correct Dalglish.

There was however a supplementary point to my original question, and that is, is there any way of finding out if he was insured, if he will not now co-operate (or has lost/destroyed the documents etc etc.)

I know that there is some kind of insurers register, but am guessing from the Data protection Act etc that she will not be able to get access to it. I think the Police can though.
Court summons - Lud
How very badly behaved people are these days, re Lawman's secretary's daughter's ex. In my youth I borrowed a scooter from a friend and was pulled in Oxford Street for running a red light. I had no licence and was uninsured, so explained to the policeman that since the friend had lent me the scooter on the understanding that I would be legal, I had effectively taken it under false pretences.

In court, charged with taking and driving away, no licence and no insurance, I gave my profession as poet. On being fined a fiver or so with a two-month ban (those were the days, eh?) I asked for time to pay. The magistrate enquired drily if I thought I was going to sell a poem in the next week or so, and someone in the room gave an unseemly guffaw. The owner of the scooter very decently lent me the fine, so my day in the cells in lieu lasted about ten minutes.
Court summons - cheddar
Cheddar, you are wrong>>

Not so wrong according to DVD's post Lawman, though I confess I had not heard of Newbury and David, rather makes the earlier sarcasm even more unnecessary.

Regards.
I wasn't being sarcastic Cheddar. I was being rude.

Now regretting it at my leisure, and am about to exit the building in haste, and somewhat red-faced.

....which brings me neatly onto what I've been meaning to say.

Would people please STOP being unnecessarily rude and abusive to others that post things in the best of interest, just because they happen to think he or she is wrong.

If you disagree with someone or think their comments are utter rubbish, be polite about it. I don't know what's happened in the BR latwly but this behaviour is becoming an epidemic. Before anyone knows it we then have to delete half the thread!

Thanks

Hugo - BR Moderator
Court summons - Pugugly {P}
Yes - I was in Court. Not traffic I'm afraid....:-(

DVD as usual has explained it.

Get a decent brief with Traffic law expertese. Double check her own insurance first in case it permits other drivers - easily overlooked by the way.

It ain't going to be easy this one.
Court summons - Fullchat
And now for my tenpenneth.

As per usual DVD has covered the salient points.

The only defence for using someone elses vehicle without insurance is where an employer/employee relationship exists and the employee reasonably believes that the employer would be covered by insurance.

As regards a database for the Police to tap into as regards checking present and past policies, it does not exist. A check could be done with the Insurance comany if it is known. However there are now limited details on the PNC that show who is entitled to drive a specific vehicle providing they are named drivers. Again that is not historical. However it is possile to access all Driving Licence details. As the current MOT computerised database expands it will also be possible to check MOT history.

Presumably the errant ex will have been summonsed for 'No Insurance' and 'Fail to produce Insurance'. This allows some flexibility on the day of court to allow for the last minute production of a certificate. If he produces then she has 'No case to answer' if he does not she will have to answer to an offence of 'Permit No Insurance' which is an 'Absolute Offence'.

Just taking someones word is not sufficiant it is expected that the policy should be physically examined.

Fullchat
Court summons - Dalglish
Just taking someones word is not sufficient

>>

how does that square with the 1988 act
(3) A person charged with using a motor vehicle in contravention of this section shall not be convicted if he proves?
(c) that he neither knew nor had reason to believe that there was not in force in relation to the vehicle such a policy of insurance or security as is mentioned in subsection (1) above.

Court summons - Fullchat
As I see it this fits into the employer/employee relationship where an employee should reasonably expect that an employer would have a policy of insurance etc etc. for a company vehicle. Hence the defence.

In the case of an individual. Every owner of a motor vehicle knows that they are obliged by law to hold a policy of insurance etc. etc. Thats a fundamental principle in law.Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Using/keeping is an 'Absolute Offence'.There is no defence other than above which is written into the legislation.

I submit that by asking the question "Are you covered?" suggests that you have reason to believe that another person may or may not be covered. I would suggest that by accepting their word or presuming that because they own their own vehicle,is not sufficiant because not all polices cater for 'may drive any other vehicle not owned etc. etc.'

Therefore until the certificate/policy is examined then it cannot be ascertained whether you know or do not know. So to just ignore the question and therefore not make any reasonable inquiries is neither knowing/not knowing or believing/not believing. Some physical or mental process must take place. Once the mental process takes place then something physical must follow i.e. you ask the question or you examine a document.

So if I asked the question, "Did you contemplate the fact that they would be insured to drive your car?" and your reply is "They have their own car" then by knowing that motor vehicles have to be covered by insurance you have mentally considered the fact that they may or may not be covered. So you had some concern that they may not be covered.

Does that make sense??? What happened to Mark RLBS he was the authority on such problems.? I hear rumblings already - The Thought Police!

Fullchat
Court summons - RichardW
"What happened to Mark RLBS "

Have a close read of the post by No FM2R, and see if it rings any bells....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....