White painted squares - far0n
Anyone know the significance of those painted white sqaures I keep seeing on the roads ? Usually on a dual-carriageway, each lane will occasionally have a white square on it about 18" sort of size.
White painted squares - AlastairW
Pretty sure they are either:
1. Marks to enableplod helipcopters to measure your speed or
2. Calibration marks for police speedos.
Though of course it would not be the first time I am completely wide of the mark and about to be shot down in flames!
White painted squares - Altea Ego
Its a marker for the police to measure your speed using the on board vascar. it will be near a feature like a bridge, or another marker.

CAn be used by helicopters to measure your speed as well.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
White painted squares - Roberson
Are they normally in sets of two, i.e. one pair spaced a few 100 yards from the other?

I think they're used by traffic cops to calculate your speed (time taken to cover a known distance, i.e. one square to the next)

White painted squares - bell boy
reno man is right according to police camera action they are used by the police helicopter to measure speed
its very rare to get nicked by chopper.
--
They like to put one a fixed distance from a bridge. It means you can be timed by a copper following you, or timed form the top of the bridge. Double bonus that way
--
White painted squares - bell boy
its more used in cases where cars dont stop and evidence is gathered for offences such as the now defunct dangerous driving rap
White painted squares - Fullchat
The marks are provided for following average speed checks. The system used to be called Vascar but there are now several derivatives. The equipment simply measures time/distance giving average speed.
The purpose of the road marks is that the use of marks on the road or the shadow of an overhead bridge are regarded as 'best practice' for start and finish points for distance measurement. The use of a stationary objects is regarded as less reliable due to the parallax effect.

Fullchat
White painted squares - hillman
Thank's, I've often wondered what they are for...

Are they related to those shallow silver metal pyramids you used to find in pairs on the road surface ?