Vauxhall Carlton 1992 2.0L GLi - Tony Kaye
I have a 1992 Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 GLI which has only done 50,000 miles from new and its in very good condition, however recently I have developed the following fault can anyone help!
cold mornings/evenings after driving a few miles with engine upto running temp I have rough engine running! not what I would term as a mifire! but it cuts out! as if theres no fuel! with intermitent firing! kangarooing!! "this does not happen all the time" normally the next day its fine! any ideas please! new ignition coil and fuel parts have been replaced! Tony K.
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - bell boy
distributor cap is next to bulkhead and never changed as its hard to get off(im being kind here),suggest you see colour of cap and go to vaux dealer and buy quality replacement cap and arm
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - prm
Lovely car, wish they still made them, i sold mine with 200,000 miles on and it still ran lovely
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - Tony Kaye
hi just read your reply! you are saying that I should replace the distributor cap & rotor arm why? the car runs 100% the problem I have had on twice is when its very cold and I have lights etc on! I suspect battery voltage is not 100% and with everything switched on at night that the alternator is doing overtime! but thanks for your reply! Tony.
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - Number_Cruncher
Off the top of my head, I can imagine many potential causes for this type of fault - dodgy wiring connectors and earths possibly?

Before spending any more money, check every wiring connector in the engine management system. Check every relevant earth connection - these are numbered, and should be called up and located from a wiring diagram.

During the fault, does the engine management light come on?

Are there any fault codes stored?

Are there any other symptoms? During the kangarooing, what does the rev counter do *exactly* ?

Number_Cruncher
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - elekie&a/c doctor
May be a good idea to change fuel pump/injection relay.Located in plastic box next to nearside suspension turret.
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - Number_Cruncher
May be a good idea to change fuel pump/injection relay.Located in
plastic box next to nearside suspension turret.

>>

Yes, that's a good point - especially if the relay itself is contained within a grey plastic housing, although I expect most of these have long since failed by now, and were replaced by a black relay. The grey ones commonly failed by the fracture of a track on the circuit board in the base of the relay.

Number_Cruncher

Hi elekie&/a/c/doctor just read your reply! can you tell me if this relay would play up during the cold weather! or when I have lights etc on! my feeling on this problem were that the Battery was suspect! and with all the lights/fan/h.r.w. etc on the Battery is under load! Ive noticed that when the h.r.w. is on the Alternator wines! this would indicate to me that its under load! trying to keep up with the demand! as the Battery is probably on its way out! any comments welcome! it seems that when I use the car during the day! (no lights etc) there dosent seem to be a problem! Tony K.
VAUXHALL CARLTON 1992 2.0L GLI - elekie&a/c doctor
Usual problems with these relays are pitted/high resistance contacts and/or dry solder joints on the pcb.These can cause low voltage to the efi system and a possible cut-out situation,made worse if the electrics are loaded up with lights ,hrw etc,which can reduce the voltage even lower.the relay is fairly cheap- about £25.
elekie&a/c/doctor
Many thanks for you advice! I will check this out! it would make sense with the symptons Ive had! I will let you know what happens.. thanks again.. Tony K.