Renault Megane Coupe - electrical fault - renault_megane_coupe
Hello,

Please can someone give me some advice on an electrical fault with have with my Renault Megane Coupe T reg (1999) 16v 2 litre. The lever for the windscreen wiper has stopped working, and instead the switch that is for the air conditioning now turns the wipers on and off. The wipers go very slow when turned on by the air conditioning switch, and hardly any air is blown out from the air conditioning unit making it very hard to demist the windscreen and also potentially dangerous to drive when the window is fogged up and it is raining.

Someone has suggested it could be a relay switch problem. Someone else said it could be an expensive £300 repair job.

Thanks,
Emma
Renault Megane Coupe - electrical fault - Aprilia
I would really need to see a wiring diagram for the car, but it sounds like possibly a poor earth connection somewhere (often the case when you get weird things happening like this). Renault electrics are very poor quality (made down to a low price) and its not unusual to see faulty connections and broken wires. I would take it to an auto-electircian rather than the Renault dealer. Should cost rather less than £300 I would think.
Renault Megane Coupe - electrical fault - bell boy
i would agree with aprilia (again)but before you ship it off to a "recommended" (notice the "##"as there are a lot of useless ones out there)electrician check all obvious connections under the bonnet,specifically any earths near wiper motor or engine to earth,renaults i see have a main strap in the most ridiculous place.
Your local independant garage will recommend a good sparky if they are good themselves, as they dont nead to bob their heads (the sparkies)up as they are always busy.
Renault Megane Coupe - electrical fault - elekie&a/c doctor
The wiper and heater motor circuits have lost their earths.The connector in the drivers footwell panel to the right of the accelerator pedal carries the black earth connection pins and has probably overheated and lost a proper connection.A quick fix is to lift the plastic air intake panel on the pass side by the wipers and run a new earth lead into the thick black wire of the heater motor and bolt it to a nearby earth point.
Renault Megane Coupe - electrical fault - Aprilia
Now what makes me think this is a common problem.....

Good old Renault!