Rover 416 Thermostat - TK - 421
I have had to replace the thermostat in my 1995 rover 416 (Twin overhead cam, the new body shape). It's a damn fiddly job, and I have just about managed it, but when I separated the housing , the old thermostat fell out before I could check which way round it goes. Any ideas how I sould fit the new unit?

Its on the right hand side of the car, and the unit has a cone shaped actuator on one side and a big spring on the other. Should the spring be facing toward the engine block or toward the wing ?

Ta very much
chris
Rover 416 Thermostat - dieselnut
Am not familiar with this engine, but the heat sensative bulb & return spring are normally on the same side of the stat & should face the source of the heat ie engine.
Rover 416 Thermostat - Aprilia
Spring goes to the engine side. Wiggle pin, if there is one, is usually positioned at the highest point.
Rover 416 Thermostat - TK - 421
Thanks, chaps. I think I have it right... Any ideas how bad it would be if I haven't??? Incedentally, This is absolutely the worst car to work on, the access behind the engine block is SHOCKING!!!
Rover 416 Thermostat - dieselnut
Engine will overheat as the thermostat won't open. The heater will work beautifully though until the engine stops.