Stolen Recovered. - chris666
Hi all,

I would like to know your opinions on purchasing a car that has been catogarised as 'Stolen Recovered'.
If a car has been put in this catogary does that mean that the price of the insurance premium will go up or be affected?
Will this also mean the vehicle has been involved in any type of crash?
If anybody could get back to me concerning the above information or even more info I need/should know, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Chris
Stolen Recovered. - Happy Blue!
Usually this means that the car has suffered minimal damage, but was written off by the insurance company and insured person paid out.

Unlikely to cause any problems regarding insurance but Mr No will be along shortly to advise further.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Stolen Recovered. - Galaxy
I don't think it will make any difference at all to the insurance premium. Provided the car has passed an MOT since being written off by the insurance company (the only required inspection for a category D vehicle) then I don't see any problems in this area.

However, what it will make a difference to is the potential resale value of the car, since it will have been given category D as a stolen and recovered vehicle. Anyone carrying out an HPI or similar check will very quickly find this out.

If you intend to keep the car for ever and run it into the ground then this obviously wouldn't be a problem.

Also, it goes without saying that, if you are still interested in the car, the current offer price should be less than normal because it's a category D vehicle.

I hope this makes sense!
Stolen Recovered. - Altea Ego
There is of course the chance its been thrashed to within an inch of its life by the scroat wot nicked it.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Stolen Recovered. - chris666
Thank you to all for the help.

I think its best overall if I avoid cars that have been stolen recovered or pranged.
Stolen Recovered. - No FM2R
You need to know if it was stolen/recovered or stolen/crashed/recovered/repaired or any other combination.

If it was simply stolen/recovered then there is no insurance issue that will nto be resolved by a post-theft and current MOT.

Insofar as buying it, why ever not ? Nothing wrong with it and you can get a discount because of its status ? Of course it mgiht have been thrashed while nicked, but it might have been thrashed while borrowed by neighbour or any of a humdred other things.

Find out the details of the incident, and then decide.
Stolen Recovered. - Falkirk Bairn
A former colleague had his pristine new car stolen and recovered in a period of 2 weeks - it was repaired for minor body damage but the real problems were the engine, clutch and gearbox - they had been trashed.

After many weeks arguing and visits to the garage for repair it was agreed that the car would be written off and a new car would be bought.
Stolen Recovered. - bell boy
a lot of under one year old cars that are paid out under the old for new scheme are now being listed by the insurance companies as category" x "what this means is that the owner has been paid by the insurance company but the insurance co dont have to inform the dvla of any payout and therefore it doesnt get classed on the hpi register either
As michael caine would say "not a lot of people know that".
Stolen Recovered. - martint123
As michael caine would say "not a lot of people know that".
They should if they read the backroom ;-)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=35...4