Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - FridgeMagnet
Hi,

Got my new car on Saturday, however, while checking it over last night I've noticed that the car has been jacked up, presumably by the dealer, without attention to the designated jacking points. As a result the seam that runs along the side of the floor-pan, underneath the car has been damaged (bent). Needless to say, the paint and sealer has been knocked off, exposing the metal.
This was not a cheap car, and the manufacturer has a good name for reliability so I am aghast at the unprofessional behaviour of the garage.

What should I do ?

The handbook makes explicit reference to the jacking points and states that the vehicle will be damaged if the correct procedure is not observed. So basically, I've been sold a damaged vehicle. I also wonder about the implications for the anti-corrosion warranty.

Fridgemagnet

PS.
I assume that the car was jacked-up to fit the anti-theft wheel-nuts that were provided. I wish they'd left it to me!
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Roger Jones
Take it back and reject it on the spot. Give them the keys and request a pristine replacement. No point messing about when the car is so new and the damage so obviously caused by the supplier or their agent. Using correct jacking points features early on in the spanner-monkey 101 course. The damage is in an area very vulnerable to corrosion, so is particularly serious.

Which model? You don't need to name the dealer.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - BazzaBear {P}
Is it really necessary to jack a car up in order to replace one nut on each wheel? I wouldn't have thought so.
I do agree with Roger on this matter though. Whether the dealer will might be a different question though...
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Altea Ego
The car would not have been jacked up to fit anti theft wheel nuts. Would you do that? I wouldnt.

Normally there is no reason at all why the car would ever be jacked up. There is a more than good chance it may have been damaged loading and unloading during transit.

So before you get all indignant and shouting the odds, check your facts, - upset your dealer at this point with false accusations and your new motoring experience will be much more painful.

The only reason for a new car being jacked up is too fit "dealer fit option" alloys.

--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family

Yes, good point on the real need to jack-up the car. I'm was grubbing around to think of a reason why they (someone) would have done it.

It's a Honda FR-V i-CTDi Sport, so the alloys come as standard.

I sold my old car on Saturday too, great timing I thought at the time, but now I'm beginning to wonder !!!

I really am upset about this. Perhaps I should go straight to Honda UK.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - spikeyhead {p}
You don't need to know who or how the damage was caused. Its there, it shouldn't be.

The car isn't of merchnatable quality and its long term fitness for purpose is unsatisfactory. Reject it.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - nutty_nissan
STOP USING THE CAR IMMEDIATELY! Reject it under sale of goods act 1979 (as amended) and get a full refund. If you carry on using the car after spotting the damage, the law deems that you have "accepted" the car, and you might find it harder to get a refund.

Phone Consumer Direct up on 0845 4 04 05 06 to get advice as to what to put in the letter. Fax it over to the dealer and await their response.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Mapmaker
NEVER undo wheel nuts with the car jacked up! Else you will have a car sitting on your toes.

DON'T go in blazing to reject the car.

Take it back and mention that there might be a little bit of a problem with the car, and please would your salesman come and have a little look, please. 'Not quite sure what to make of that' you say. 'Oh dear, that's not good, is it. I'll get it fixed. 'Sorry old pal, I'll reject the car.'

Now, Blue will be along in a moment to say that most cars that go out through dealerships have been via the bodyshops, and that it is quite 'normal' and they'll have it fixed in a couple of days.

So far as the anti-corrosion warranty are concerned, it shouldn't make any difference. HOWEVER, so far as corrosion is concerned, it may well make a difference - the car will begin to rust earlier than it would have done so before. But probably after the warranty runs out...
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Blue {P}
Don't know which Blue you're referring to, me or the other one, but yep, you're right, a fair few (I wouldnt say most) new cars have had bodywork done....

Blue
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Armitage Shanks {p}
Another "duff service from Honda" thread!
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - machika
Our Xantia suffered damage to the front bumper, before we bought it. However, it wasn't apparent until paint, applied to the black section of the bumper, began to come off. This is normally not painted and soon began to look very tatty. The dealer's reaction was that I should be prepared to pay a contribution to the repaint, as the car was out of warranty. I refused to do this, on the grounds that the damage was done before I bought it and wasn't made known to me at the time, or I would have asked for a new bumper to be fitted.

Some time after, my wife had a minor bump in the car (colliding with a post in a supermarkent car park) and we got a new bumper fitted when it was repaired.

At the same time that we bought the Xantia, we had a ZX, which also had the bumper damaged. This was supposed to be fitted with a white plastic bumper but they refitted a grey plastic bumper, sprayed with white paint. It was obviously not done very well, because it started to come off in few months. The response from the dealer was that they couldn't obtain a white plastic bumper to replace the damaged one.

I know always check cars very carefully before I accept them, particularly with regard to signs of bodywork damage/repairs.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - islandman
I know always check cars very carefully before I accept them,
particularly with regard to signs of bodywork damage/repairs.

I suppose this is the best advice -- always check the car over before handing over the wedge. However whilst it's fairly easy to check for obvious damage it must be practically impossible to check everything and everywhere. I agree with the comments that the first approach should not contain 'threats' of action etc as this usually creates a confrontational situation. You can be firmly persistant and polite. I must admit that I'd be surprised though if the dealer readily agreed to a replacement car or refund straight away. No doubt they will try to convince you that the damage can be repaired with no detriment to the corrosion protection.
It's may come down to how far you are prepared to pursue this matter - it normally does unless you are very lucky. You should take advice from your local trading standards - who won't intervene on your behalf but can give legal advice on where your stand. If you reject the car I believe the claim would be too large to pursue through the Small Claims Court.
I agree though that I would be unhappy if this happened to me and wish you well.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Wally Zebon
Is there not something in the Sale of Goods act that gives you 7 days to reject a purchase for ANY reason?
Or have I been dreaming again?
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - islandman
This link may help - I belive this also applies to new cars -- there being another section fror used cars.

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?fi...t
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - blue_haddock
Yep if you saw whats cars sometimes go through before being picked up by the 1st owner it would make you think twice about buying brand new.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - turbo11
agree with RF.suspect car was damaged in transit rather than dealership.But would still reject anyway,or require compensation.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Aprilia
If its just the lip that is bent over then that's not too bad. Its very common to see this and fast-fit outlets are good at doing it. You often see it on Jap import cars - in those cases its due to them moving the cars about with a forklift! If the sill itself is pushed in a bit then that's bad news and rather difficult to repair.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - MoneyMart
If its just the lip that is bent over then that's
not too bad.

Oh, that's alright then! After all it's only a new car.... I mean, it's a bit unreasonable to expect it to be undamaged isn't it!!! ;-)
Oh, that's alright then! After all it's only a new car....
I mean, it's a bit unreasonable to expect it to be
undamaged isn't it!!! ;-)

Calm down mate and get a grip. I didn't mean to say it was acceptable, I just meant that it is not likely to weaken the structure. It will be dead easy for the garage to repair to a good standard. They will bend the lip back straight and repaint it. Like I said, if the sill is dented then its more serious and I would be thinking about rejecting.
Oh, that's alright then! After all it's only a new car....
I mean, it's a bit unreasonable to expect it to be
undamaged isn't it!!! ;-)

Yes, to be honest, to expect a brand new car to be free from any damage whatsoever is unreasonable. My brother's brand new Mini arrived with signs of machine polishing on the door (not noticeable to someone who doesn't know what to look for), my dad's Z4 arrived with a scrape under the bumper. So, out of the two new cars that my family have bought in the last 3 years, both have arrived damaged.

I'm not trying to defend it, or say that anyone should accept damage, just that it isn't something worth getting upset by these things and unless the damage is significant, I couldn't be bothered to reject the car either...

Blue
Your family must be very unlucky to have bought cars of such poor standard! It's even more suprising that you "couldn't be bothered" to reject the car! You must have a very low threshold of standards.

Personally if I'm shelling out tens of thousands of pounds which I have worked damn hard to earn, and am paying a huge premium to buy a brand new car, I expect it to be absolutely spot on and free from defects and damage.

Out of the 12 brand new cars I have owned, not one of them has been delivered with any damage on whatsoever. I also have no recollection of any of my friends of family ever receiving a damaged car.

So sorry - I maintain that it IS PERFECTLY reasonable to expect a brand new car to be undamaged!

Thankfully, the law (in the form of the sales of goods act) does too!!!
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Mapmaker
I don't think I'd bother to reject a car for a bit of a scrape. You don't know where they've been before they reach you - tales of smashed up new cars abound. (Blue works in that trade, iirc.) I'd get it fixed... but to reject that rare car that has been on order for 6 months; complete with the lime green seats and matching shocking pink mirrors; when the new one will take 6 more months to arrive...? No, I'd keep it.

When I think of the brand new cars my father has bought over the years, they've all had something wrong with them. If you want a perfect car, buy second hand!

"Thankfully, the law (in the form of the sales of goods act) does too!!!"

No it dont. As long as the car is repaired to "as new" standard you have no leg to stand on. Been tested in court many times.
--
"Thankfully, the law (in the form of the sales of goods
act) does too!!!"
No it dont. As long as the car is repaired to
"as new" standard you have no leg to stand on. Been
tested in court many times.
--

Absolute Nonsense!

Quote from the act : "For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in aspects of the quality of goods ?
freedom from minor defects...

The buyer is not by virtue of this section deemed to have accepted the goods merely because ?
he asks for, or agrees to, their repair by or under an arrangement with the seller....

...the buyer has the right to reject the goods by reason of a breach on the part of the seller that affect some or all of them..."

Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - No FM2R
>>to expect a brand new car to be free from any damage whatsoever is unreasonable.

No, it is not unreasonable. It might well be unrealistic, but not unreasonable.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Xileno {P}
If I buy a pair of shoes, I have a right and expectation for them to be in A1 condition i.e no scuffs or scratches. If I spend many thousands of pounds of my hard earned on a car (as indeed I often do), then too right I want it to be perfect. In the UK customer service is pretty awful, if more people rejected things and kicked up a fuss maybe things would improve. Businesses would soon get the message.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Happy Blue!
Retailers will not sell damaged white goods at full price. Even a scratch is enough to have it replaced by a new machine. Why expect less from a car?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - NowWheels
If I buy a pair of shoes, I have a right
and expectation for them to be in A1 condition i.e no
scuffs or scratches. If I spend many thousands of pounds of
my hard earned on a car (as indeed I often do),
then too right I want it to be perfect.

I do agree that if one is handin ver thoiusands, you want something good ... but do you really have a right to demand perfection?

I thought that the Sale Of Goods Act used some concept like "merchantable quality", which I presume includes some flexibility.

I'd have thought, for examle, that a buyer of a Rolls would be entitled in law to insist on somethimg closer to perfection than someone spending a few percent of that money on a little Kia.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - NowWheels
If I buy a pair of shoes, I have a right
and expectation for them to be in A1 condition i.e no
scuffs or scratches. If I spend many thousands of pounds of
my hard earned on a car (as indeed I often do),
then too right I want it to be perfect.

I do agree that if one is handing over thousands, you want something good ... but do you really have a right to demand perfection?

I thought that the Sale Of Goods Act used some concept like "merchantable quality", which I presume includes some flexibility.

I'd have thought, for examle, that a buyer of a Rolls would be entitled in law to insist on somethimg closer to perfection than someone spending a few percent of that money on a little Kia.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - Stuartli
"merchantable quality">>

See:

www.consumeradvice.net/pages/fairtrading.htm

tinyurl.com/8s4gd

www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/rmif.html

tinyurl.com/ca3ok
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I do agree that if one is handing over thousands, you
want something good ... but do you really have a right
to demand perfection?

Yes. And if I don't get it then that business (may not necessarily be motoring related) does not get any more business from us. If you've ever lived abroad, you soon realise that the level of customer service in the UK is pretty poor in comparison. It really annoys me when I hear of people tolerating bad service. Kick bad businnes where it hurts - in their pockets - and simultaneously reward those that do put customers first.
MoneyMart, I wouldn't say that my family have particularly low standards, in fact quite the opposite, but when the waiting list for one of the cars is 3 months and the other (at the time) was around 6 months, do you think we would reject them for the sake of a minor scrape?

The BMW was repaired so that it is impossible to tell that there ever was any damage, and now that the black Mini has been washed a few times, the very, very slight marks left by the machine polishing have got lost in amongst the light whirls that occur with even careful washing. If we had rejected the cars (which I doubt we could) we would have waited months to receive a replacement, lost dealer goodwill, and probably had some other issue to contend with on their replacement. Better the devil you know.

Obviously if my car arrived seriously damaged I would reject, but I would have to question what difference a bit of minor damage that is fully repaired would make to me.

Of all the brand new cars that I sold I had a good few repaired and handed them over to their owners and they were never any the wiser, why worry them with something that would make no difference to them? All of the cars I'm talking about arrived damaged from the manufacturer (Ford and Honda), the only one that I will hold my hands up to is when I put a light scrape in an alloy wheel and had to have it fixed before handover.

I must add again, I'm not saying that anyone should accept the damage on a new car, but if it is only minor and will make no difference I can't see what is gained from rejecting it. It's not like the replacement will be shipped in cotton wool either.

Blue
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - R75
Of all the brand new cars that I sold I had
a good few repaired and handed them over to their owners
and they were never any the wiser, why worry them with
something that would make no difference to them? All of the
cars I'm talking about arrived damaged from the manufacturer (Ford and
Honda), the only one that I will hold my hands up
to is when I put a light scrape in an alloy
wheel and had to have it fixed before handover.

I find that totally out of order. Basically you are telling lies to your customers! They are expecting a new, perfect conditon car and you have sold them a damaged and repaired car. Whats worse is that you have sold it to them and knew of the damage. What if a couple of months down the line something happens and they find out? Do you then deny all knowldege? I see Arthur Daley is alive and well.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - grn
Totally agree...in conversation with a bodyshop manager for a large BMW franchise in the southwest - he commented that the paint would be like new and seemless and that I should have seen the damage to a "brand new" X5 they had repaired the other day, the customer would never know apparently (he was stating this as part of how good our bodyshop people are)...disarming honesty.... and that for me meant one thing - I will never ever buy new again - a premium price with no guarantees as to it being in mint condition.

Odds are, it will either be damaged during transportation or at the dealer or maybe caned during its PDI checks, become temporary display model for the rest of the public to paw and scratch...had that happen too :-(

My family's experience has been VW Polo needed paint before it reached us (new supposedly), BMW 525 had had new front and rear screens (only discovered yrs later when autoglass were needed for a cracked screen)....

Buy nearly new, save the depreciation and accept you are indeed getting what you pay for, and at a price that reflects this.

Dealers will end up using disclaimer stickers like they used to for odometers.. "we cannot confirm or deny that this car has been demaged prior to you receiving it"...sign here sir to accept our Ts&Cs....oh er, that'll probably catch on.
I find that totally out of order. Basically you are telling
lies to your customers! They are expecting a new, perfect conditon
car and you have sold them a damaged and repaired car.
Whats worse is that you have sold it to them and
knew of the damage. What if a couple of months down
the line something happens and they find out? Do you then
deny all knowldege? I see Arthur Daley is alive and well.

Yes, I thought that would stir up a reaction!

I don't have even the slightest pang of guilt about it, what exactly do you suggest should be done with a brand new Ford Focus with a tiny scratch in the alloy? Crush it?

No, didn't think so, it is simply repaired and sold as if nothing were the matter, if you were running a business you wouldn't be too keen on about a third of your new stock been re-classified as "damaged repaired" or whatever for the sake of a minor scuff.

Even the manufacturers repair damaged cars in the factory, if they do it, do you expect the dealers to do any different?

I take exception to the Arthur Daley comment, but then you don't know me so it can be excused, if you did know me you wouldn't think that.

I've worked at four differnt franchises, and the procedure was the same at all of them, also have experience of buying from BMW and Mini, and it seems they have the same procedure.

Actually the comments on this thread remind me of a customer who bought a new Fiesta, and thought they arrived from the factory all polished and with shiny black tyres, she was most disappointed when she saw a scruffy thing covered in mud and other un-mentionables in the compund! :-)

Blue
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - greenhey
Would support the advice re going back immediately , but add:
- Take something in writing with you , otherwise the record of the complaint will only be in the garage's version
-Take some digital photos of it before you return it
-Copy everything to Honda UK
- If you accept them repairing it , get a comparable loan car , with them insuring it; and when you pick it up get comp for loss of use- at least a tank of petrol. If it's out of use for over a month get them to throw in the cost of a month's VED when you haven't had the use of it .Also get them to give you a letter detailing what's happened and that they warrant the work they have done- otherwise you could have problems in a few years re the bodyqork warranty
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - machika
Going back to our experience, I think if a defect shows up out of warranty, that wouldn't have been there but for the damage caused before it was sold, then it should be rectified free of charge. One thing I did notice on the underside of part of the bumper, in later years, were abrasion marks showing up quite clearly under the paint, so obviously signs of a badly done repair.

I've spoken to the garage and the body-shop manager claims they don't use trolley jacks etc. He may well be telling the truth, who knows.

The wife is taking the car in for them to look at tomorrow afternoon.

I've calmed down a bit now, since last night and am becoming more fatalistic.

If the law treated new car body work as a special case then I could see a straight forward route to getting a replacement. However, unless you are a lawyer with time on your hands, they've got you over a barrel.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll certainly be taking some photos tonight.
"Thankfully, the law (in the form of the sales of goods
act) does too!!!"
No it dont. As long as the car is repaired to
"as new" standard you have no leg to stand on. Been
tested in court many times.
--

Absolute Nonsense!

Quote from the act : "For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in aspects of the quality of goods ?
freedom from minor defects...

The buyer is not by virtue of this section deemed to have accepted the goods merely because ?
he asks for, or agrees to, their repair by or under an arrangement with the seller....

...the buyer has the right to reject the goods by reason of a breach on the part of the seller that affect some or all of them..."
and what part of that goes against what i said. If it is repaired as new it meets the terms of the sale of goods act.

As i said - its been tested many times in court, A car thats been damaged and repaired to an as new standard can be sold as new. Full stop.
--
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - neil
Just a thought... (and by the way, nice to see someone taking the pragmatic view) but since you collected the car on Saturday and only noticed the damage last night, is it not possible that either someone else has had a go at jacking it up - for example to nick your alloys, and been disturbed? Or perhaps more likely still, that the dealer would suggest that is the case? To continue someone else's shoe shop analogy, I can't see Mr Hush Puppy being any more likely than Mr Honda to say 'Ok, you've had them several days, you've noticed a scratch, sure I'll change them, must have been unnoticed by our Pre-Delivery inspection guys - or perhaps caused by them...! Also, unless the game has changed very much indeed, I suspect every new car does or at least should go in the air as part of its PDI, but invariably on a lift not a jack? I'd guess if you ask nicely, they will probably repair it FOC and perfectly well for you! (PS the next person who does this will be the one who changes your tyres - its easier than bending under the car to see where the jack head might be - and there won't be a rubber pad on the jack head, either...)

Neil
Bear in mind that a lot of dealers sub out PDI work when they're busy.....

Having worked in the car business I can say that a lot of new cars aren't perfect. Go to a car plant and take a look at the rework area (cars at end of line being taken back for rectification). Sometimes you see them standing outside with big scrathes & dents etc awaiting rework.

At the local Ford dealers I have seen lads sitting in a brand new car at lunchtime in summer. Engine ticking over for 30mins+ with the aircon running and stereo belting out whilst they eat their sandwhiches!
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - madf
Having read this thread for the first time, no wonder the car industry is held in low repute.

When I buy a new pair of shoes/suit/ washing machine/PC/sofa/carpet I EXPECT it to be unmarked and in perfect condition.
If it has been repaired , I EXPECT it not to be visible to ANY inspection.

Anyone selling a new car to me must have the same standard of quality. The fact that several in the trade appear to condone (I know they may not) apparently obvious repairs shows how far behind in customer service the industry is in both attitudes and practice.

When I have taken delivery of a new car I have crawled all over them. Dealers have not done their PDI properly : obvious faults like scratched alloys/boot inetrior light not working, poor resprays. I refuse to take delivery.

FULL STOP.

If PC manufacturers can deliver them by parcel freight unscratched to my door, I expect car dealers to do the same. If they don't I will not take delivery until perfect.

The contempt shown for their customers is staggering.

madf
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - cheddar
I must say I agree with madf 100% on this.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - PhilW
If you want to make the car industry look good - try comparing it with the (British) caravan industry - standards are ten times worse. And dealers can be even worse than the manufacturers.
Phil
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - PhilW
Sorry, that wasn't really car related - but the voice of very, very bitter experience overcame me. Might also mention value for money - cars at least have engines, transmission, air con, cd players, crash resistance, air bags, lots of components made to very tiny tolerances etc etc. Caravans are extremely flimsy, dreadfully loosely constructed, plastic boxes with cheap fittings the like of which never even saw the light of day in Moskvitch let alone a Ford/Vaux/Ren/Cit etc yet they cost the same as a family car. Explain please?
Phil
Explain please?

Economies of scale.
Making caravans is still a bit of a cottage industry isn't it? 'Hand made' in the negative sense of the word.

Some folks get an RAC or AA (DEKRA) check done on their new car prior to collection - might well be worth it. And I am the only one here who's ever seen brand new unregistered cars on trade plates being 'delivered' at 95mph on the motorway?
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - dodo
I called in to get a quote for some body work on my mum's Golf. New Phaeton in the bodyshop - unreigistered and brand new. The guy on duty told me ot was a common occurence for new cars to get paintwork done before going into the showroom. Scary ...
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - R75
Making caravans is still a bit of a cottage industry isn't
it? 'Hand made' in the negative sense of the word.

Not if Swift were anything to go by a few years ago!! I worked a for a company that made the automatic spray lines and press equiptment that made up the side panals, it was highly automated and as much like a car production line as you can get.
>> Making caravans is still a bit of a cottage industry
isn't
>> it? 'Hand made' in the negative sense of the word.
Not if Swift were anything to go by a few years
ago!! I worked a for a company that made the automatic
spray lines and press equiptment that made up the side panals,
it was highly automated and as much like a car production
line as you can get.

Really? I don't know much about caravans. I've seen one or two smashed to bits at the side of the road though - doesn't look to be much strength in them.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - teabelly
With electronic goods if they are repaired before sale then they are clearly marked as 'graded'. It agree with madf when I buy a brand new car, I want a brand new unused car not one that has been driven round the block and sat in at lunchtime. A few minor scratches on a bumper is nothing to reject the car over but I'd expect the odd extra thrown in and a free high quality repair if it was noticeable from a distance of more than 3 feet away.

Biggest difference between electronics and cars is that the former are delivered with substantial amounts of packaging to protect them......
teabelly
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - wemyss
Can verify exactly what Aprilia says about seeing cars at the end of the line waiting for rectification as I saw these on a guided tour around a car plant last year.
My son in law worked as a car transporter driver on regular nights for a very well known manufacturer for the last couple of years.
He tells me many stories of damage occurring when loading the cars on to the car transporters.
The drivers lose their bonus when they hit a certain level and can even lose their job eventually but it does happen regularly no matter how careful they are. They have to record and report it but the consequences doesn?t encourage it.
A lot of training is given on these transporters before they are qualified to commence work and it isn?t quite as simple as it seems.
Order of loading particular cars with constant checking on heights with a measuring pole is one aspect. Even then he says he grits his teeth when he goes under the first bridge out on the road.
Many of these cars are exotic models which have every conceivable gadget on and sometimes it takes a few minutes to sort out how to drive the thing before starting up the ramp. Damage to the roof results in a complete write off they tell him.
Advises that if you buy a particular model sports car with a low front end check it very carefully as they very often scrape as they go on or off the ramps.
And also as Aprilia mentions the cars can be abused at the plant. He tells me that during the night there are young lads driving these cars to the collection area and literally abusing them. Revving the engine to its maximum and rocking it against the clutch is one game. He says if he were buying one if ever he could afford it he would try and collect it at the plant which he believes can be done for certain cars.
Also smoking clutches are common when getting them up on the top and is unavoidable.
One new model with a gearbox which his description sounds like one of these tiptronic type boxes I read about on here is the very devil to get on as the low power means the clutch has to be slipped continuously.
I had always though it was a very simple procedure but apparently not.
Have drifted away from the main thread but from what he tells me damage is much more likely to happen on transporters than at your dealer.

Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - autumnboy
Quote "what he tells me damage is much more likely to happen on transporters than at your dealer." :Alvin

What your son-in-law should have also told you, is that most Dealers check the vehicles on delivery before signing the "Proof Of Delivery" sheets before the driver leaves or refuse delivery of a vehicle found to be damaged and if not, the dealer upon PDI can call on the Manufacturers Claims Dept. for damage found and make a claim for rectification.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - wemyss
"What your son-in-law should have also told you, is that most Dealers check the vehicles on delivery before signing the "Proof Of Delivery" sheets before the driver leaves or refuse delivery of a vehicle found to be damaged and if not, the dealer upon PDI can call on the Manufacturers Claims Dept. for damage found and make a claim for rectification"

Well he wouldnt have been able to tell me this as I mentioned early in my post that he worked nights and they dont deliver to dealers in the night. The cars he transported were taken from the factory to storage centres? in the South of the country and from there were either exported or whatever.
Return journeys they load imported same marque cars back to the factory where they are delivered on the same vehicle by the day shift driver. The only departure from this is if they return carrying another manufacurers cars and in this event the transporter does not go back into the assembly plant for obvious reasons, but goes to an external centre where once again the day man delivers to dealers from the loaded transporter.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - autumnboy
When you take this car back to the Dealer for the damage claim on the underside. Do you have proof that this damage was done on collection of the vehicle from the showroom.

If not, I would'nt be suprised if the dealer refuses all, if any blame. In other words can you prove that you had'nt damaged it.??

As far as Locking wheel nuts are concerned, they are fitted with the wheels on the ground where ever the vehicle stops for fitting them.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - neil
When you take this car back to the Dealer for the
damage claim on the underside. Do you have proof that this
damage was done on collection of the vehicle from the showroom.
If not, I would'nt be suprised if the dealer refuses all,
if any blame. In other words can you prove that you
had'nt damaged it.??

>>Erm... quite. Particularly as the original post says 'presumably by dealer'!

The damaged seam can easily be dressed out, its not the end of the world exactly. If you push it with the dealer you might well end up paying for the repair - how can you prove it was them?

Neil
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - r.fensome
Read a story once about a guy who bought a brand new Bently, had problem after problem with it. Anyway, made some discreet enquires about the car, only to find out his very expensive car had been hung vertically on a wall at a very well known motor show with all the doors open for a few weeks. He was conviced this was the cause of his cars problems but the dealer denied this and he apparently got nowhere with his claim.
Brand New Car Damaged by Dealer - T Lucas
Friend of mine had his brand new Civic Type R replaced by dealer/Honda when he noticed after about 2 weeks when he came to polish the car that it had had a bad repair done to the offside door and B pillar.The bad repair was really masking and paint refinishing but the supplying dealer managed to change it without any drama.