Sludge in engine 1.6 Astra (8 valve) - cdbr
Think that the thermostat on my 1.6 Astra 8 Valve (1997 era) is not working properly, car normally only just reaches the lower part of the temperature guage, and we have had sludge for as long as I can remember.

Whereabouts on this engine is it, and how do I check if it is knackered or are they cheap enough to replace anyway?
Sludge in engine - Rover25
The thermostat itself is cheap, however IIRC it is neccessary to remove the timing belt and rear timing belt covers to access it.
Checking it requires removal and if you're going to do that you may as well put a new 'stat in and a new timing belt whilst you're at it.
Sludge in engine - Ruperts Trooper
If the timing belt needs to be removed, fit a new belt and a new water pump. It's never worth refitting an old cambelt and the water pump is cheap since you've got all the other parts off. If the water pump fails it leads to belt failure with obvious consequences. Although 8 valve Vauxhalls suffer less damge when the belt breaks it can sometimes be terminal, unlike on a 16v where it's always terminal.
Sludge in engine - bell boy
you are probably giving it only short journeys,give it an oil and filter change and then a good run for 40 miles,that should cure it,try this medicine every other week