Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - adverse camber
I posted a query in general and got no response, so trying here.

At what point does it become worth putting winter tyres on ? with the weather predictions I am giving serious consideration to winter rubber.

what if any, is the difference between a winter tyre and a M+S tyre ?

I've looked at the ADAC test results but I would expect germany to get much more snow than we do, so are they applicable ?

where is a good source for winter tyres (Ripon/york/teesside area)?

thanks

Mark
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - Ruperts Trooper
A winter tyre is designed for use on tarmac roads, in snow and/or have ice studs added. An M+S tyre is designed for off-roading.

Most parts of the UK have so little snow that winter tyres aren't neccessary, however if you regulary go over the hills at this time of year, you may well benefit.

Any tyre dealer can order tyres in, you'll need to ring round to get a best price.
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - NabLane
An M+S tyre is designed
for off-roading.

I disagree. M+S rated winter tyres are not just for driving in muddy/snowy conditions off-road. Winter tyres offer far superior grip on wet and slippery roads in winter than conventional tyres and are effective at temperatures below about 11deg. C (we very rarely get above this temperature in the North-West during winter). The M+S rating is an indicator of superior performance under more extreme conditions. If a winter tyre had a M+S rating, I would choose that tyre above a winter tyre that didn't have a M+S rating.

I swap over to winter tyres in early December each year and keep them on until February/March, although with the cold snap that we're experiencing now, I might fit them this weekend. I got a great price for four tyres (195x65x15) including fitting and balancing from National Tyres, which came to £285.

I did around 5000 miles on the the Avon CR85's (M+S rated) I bought during winter last year, with plenty of trips to Scotland and they've only worn around 1mm, being used on a 2001 Vectra 2.2petrol. Given that the tread depth is 8.5mm, these tyres will serve me well for many winters.

Other advantages are that the alloys are kept safely away from corrosive salt and should grip be lost and a kerb hit resulting in wheel damage, there is only a cheap steel wheel to replace.

I must admit I was unsure if they were a good idea at first, but having experienced the significant improvements over summer tyres (I normally run around on Pirelli P6000 205x55x16's) I would never drive on anything else in winter.

There was an article in the Telegraph motoring magazine a few weeks ago that mentioned Michelin were due to start a marketing campaign for winter tyres this year to persuade more motorists to change over in the winter months. I think it's a good idea.

www.avontyres.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdTyp...s
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - Big Bad Dave
It?s not really to do with snow, here in Poland they recommend winter tyres when the temperature drops below 7 degrees. Most people are swapping this week as the temps have dropped and it?s snowing. Like NabLane, many will swap tyre and wheel but I?m just gonna swap rubber and I wouldn?t spend the money if I didn?t think it was a really good idea. Supermarkets are full of tyres at the moment, the smell of rubber is nauseating. I?m on 205x65x15 and expect to pay about fifty quid a tyre.
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - jc
Winter tyres are usually made of a slightly softer rubber compound,so don't use them if you're mainly driving on dry tarmac.
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My 'Vredestein Quatrac 2' tyres are M&S marked but they are definitely NOT off-road tyres with only a slightly more open texture.
They are all weather tyres and grip better in low temperatures than summer tyres. Increased wear has not been apparent and I have run them all summer.I only anticipate using them on the occasional snowy day.
You possibly need their Wintrac or Snowtrac ranges for off roading.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - TTToommy

jc - do you now realise how wrong you are

Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - Mike H
I recently bought a complete set of used winter tyres from ebay for forty euros (£27) from Germany! Postage was another 49 euros. When they arrived they were fantastic - still had a good 5-6mm tread, no punctures, no damage. Guess I was lucky, By the time they are fitted on my spare set of steel wheels, total cost will be about £100. They would have been over £85 each bought new, but I decided for the amount of use they would get they would be a good buy. BTW they are 195/65 x 15 in a 91T rating.

If you consder buying from abroad, check the postage - obne guy wanted 100 euros postage for a full set.

The point I'm making is that it's worth looking at them use, there are occasionally full sets on ebay in the UK for a reasonable price. People change their cars and simply don't need them any more.
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - defender
I bought 5 nordman w tyres 195-60x15 fitted and balanced from my local tyre dealer for just under £40 each,they are very good
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - adverse camber
Thanks to all.
So it seems that it is going to be worth fitting some winter tyres this year given that all driving is getting done early or late with the temperature below 4C.

off to ebay for some cheap 15" rims.

thanks

Mark
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - tyrexpert
Apolgies for missing your query. It now seems that everyone has answered for me. Remember that cold weather tyres are not usually available off the shelf and are always more expensive than their summer equivalents. However most are available on a next day basis. They certainly work incredibly well and are designed for temperatures below +7 C. On of the reasons for the increased cost is that they contain much higher levels of silica, which is much grippier than normal compounds at low to sub-zero temperatures, also the tread design is far more complex. Most are studdable but these should be unnecessary in the UK, as they are really only required in constant hard packed snow, and can be iffy on dry tarmac. In York there is one of the market leaders in the independent tyre trade and they are called North Eastern Tyres. I know the family that owns the company and the technical standards they set are up with the best.
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - defender
winter tyres are not always more expensive than summer tyres,the scandinavian tyres on offer are much the same price as ordinary tyres if you shop around and from experience grip better than supposed premium brands
Winter tyres query - tyreexpert? - Cliff Pope
I have a set of chunky 8-ply van tyres on steel rims which I switch over to in late Autumn, and back in early Spring. They have a tread depth of over half an inch, and are much better at gripping on piles of mushy leaves, mud, and unsurfaced roads, quite apart from snow. They are noisier, and the ride is harsher, but have the bonus of never appearing to wear.
I don't think they would be necessary in town driving, but on rural unmaintained roads, often single-track with soft passing places, they are really useful.
Swapping over the wheels gives a good opportunity for checking the brakes twice a year.