Corsa 1.2i 8V, non-interference engine? - lix
Hi,

I have a 95/N Corsa with the 1.2i 8V engine (code C12NZ?) which is in need of a new cambelt after the old one failed on Saturday evening. Is this engine a non-interference design or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Not sure when the belt was last changed, rubber looks in good condition (apart from the break obviously) so I guess the water pump could have seized causing the belt to go. Just need to know whether I am likely to be looking at new valves, followers etc. rather than a "simple" belt job.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Corsa 1.2i 8V, non-interference engine? - Number_Cruncher
If you put a new belt on, it should be OK. I would check to make sure that the water pump is OK, and turns freely.

I can't remember if this model has a seperate tensioner, or uses the eccentric water pump. If it has a seperate tensioner, fit a new one. If it relies on the eccentric water pump, fit a new water pump and seal ring.

As it is an N engine, it is unlikely that the valves have even touched the pistons.

Number_Cruncher
Thanks NC, have booked it in with the local mechanic and we will start with a new belt and go from there. Hopefully the cause was obvious and nothing got too bent out of shape but we shall see.
Corsa 1.2i 8V, non-interference engine? - bell boy
as already correctly said but i WOULD have a new pump fitted they are less than £20
New pump would have been fitted as a matter of course.... but she failed to run anyway! No compression on cyl. 4 so two new valves required plus a skim of the head and everything else. It does appear that the pump seized, causing the break.

The joys of motoring :-)
Corsa 1.2i 8V, non-interference engine? - bell boy
they normally break fingers rather than bend valves,you are very unlucky.
Corsa 1.2i 8V, non-interference engine? - Number_Cruncher
Yes, I agree with oldman here - it's a very quick and easy job to check the followers, and if necessary, put new ones in.

The only time I've had to lift the head off one of the engines was when there had been a non-standard cam installed which had followers without the deliberate weak point which protects the valves.

Number_Cruncher