Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Roger Jones
As I keep detailed records in a spreadsheet, I can report that since I installed a Kenlowe engine pre-heater in my MB Coupé (3.2 litres), fuel consumption has improved from 25.92 mpg cumulative pre-Kenlowe to 27.96 mpg over the Kenlowe period of 11 months. I have used it throughout the year, except on a handful of occasions. Whether the savings balance out the cost of electricity consumed I don't yet know, but the major benefits are of course the health of the engine and immediate comfort within the car on cold days. The pattern of usage has not changed significantly.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - osmic wrap
I am sure somone will give the EXACT savings soon but that works out at about £120 LESS fuel you are using over 10,000 miles.

That is purely the fuel benefit, as you say there are other benefits.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Flying Red
Very interesting. The Kenlowe web site says that it costs about 10p in electricity for the 20 minutes it takes to pre-heat the coolant, so the cost of electricity would be around £36 per annum to offset against the fuel cost saving.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - barchettaman
Pity I don´t have an electrical socket in my garage. Very impressive.
But as I am getting 10%+ more MPG anyway by putting a glug of acetone in the tank at every fill, I ain´t complaining!
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Aprilia
You will defintely see benefits. The only snag is finding somewhere to site it under the bonnet (they are a bit bulky IMHO) and also paying for the Kenlowe in the first place!

I think on Mercs you can buy a 'block heater' from a US dealer and fit that. Then power it from a time switch - snag is it will be 110V. Come to think of it, block heaters might be available from German and/or Scandinavian dealers, and would be 230V
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Hugo {P}
You can get a 110v transformer to the right current rating, surely.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - expat
When I was in Canada many years ago the locals used to fit an electric kettle element into the sump and connect it to a drive away socket. You put an extension cord onto this gadget, plugged it into a timer and it heated the sump oil up in the morning. The special socket was for the inevitable time when you rushed out and forgot to disconnect it.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - MoneyMart
When I was in Canada many years ago the locals used
to fit an electric kettle element into the sump and connect
it to a drive away socket. You put an extension
cord onto this gadget, plugged it into a timer and it
heated the sump oil up in the morning. The special
socket was for the inevitable time when you rushed out and
forgot to disconnect it.

Many cars in Sweden (and presumably other Scandanavian countries) have electric sump heaters fitted as standard. They have a heater element in the sump (or possibly the cylinder block/head) and usually an electric heater inside the car too.

The idea is you plug your car in an hour before you want to leave and it's nice and toasty when you get in it, and the engine starts much easier and with less wear/fuel consumption.

Many public car parks in Sweden have power points where you can plug in for a few kronor...
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - J Bonington Jagworth
"an electric kettle element into the sump"

My dad used to have a little paraffin heater that he placed under the sump in winter. I think it made a worthwhile difference, and was probably necessary to get the engine to turn at all in the pre-multigrade era!
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Roly93
My dad used to have a little paraffin heater that he
placed under the sump in winter.

Not advisable on modern cars with plastic under-engine bay covers !
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - L'escargot
a glug of acetone in the tank at every fill

It's good for removing nail varnish as well. Or so I'm told ~ honestly!
--
L\'escargot.
"a glug of acetone in the tank"

Glad to hear you're still* doing it BM! My supply dried up around Christmas and the Xedos is now punishing me with what appear to be blocked jets! Must get another tin...

*Assuming you still are. I've just realised when you posted it...

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 28/02/2009 at 11:25

"10p in electricity for the 20 minutes"

Blimey - that's some heater! I think Kenlowe are being deliberately pessimistic there, unless it really is about 4kW...
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - ziggy
A German colleague of mine reckons his motor (Zafira, I think) has a pukka engine pre-heater (the sort that burns diesel to pre-heat the engine).

Which cars on the market in Europe/UK have this as an option..? I have never seen before (except as expensive aftermarket option).
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - Hamsafar
In a word, loads. BMW and Mercedes have had them as an option for at least 30 years. Many newer diesels have them which are to heat the engine quicker after starting, e.g. new LandRover diesels have them as standard, as do some Vauxhall diesels. I have looked at these and it would seem easy to alter them to act as a preheater, but maybe they have stopped doing that for safety reasons, as some people would leave it to come on with the car in the garage etc...
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - injection doc
Rover 75 CDTI is another that had it as an option
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - colinh
Available on Golfs (and probably other VAG vehicles). Can preset times, running time, days of week, whether interior is heated.
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - NARU
£785 option on a VW Touarag.
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - ziggy
Available on Golfs (and probably other VAG vehicles). Can preset times running time days of
week whether interior is heated.

.. couldn't find it on the options list on the VW or GM websites. Does anyone have a link..?
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - R75
The early 75's CDT/CDTI had them as standard fit - mine does :o)
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - tr7v8
The Jag S-Type has one as standard fitment, frightened the life out of me the first time diesel fumes wafted from the n/s/f wing!
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - bathtub tom
Didn't the old '70s BL Princesses have this as an option, albeit on petrol?
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - frazerjp
Didn't the old '70s BL Princesses have this as an option albeit on petrol?

I think you maybe talking about a Kenlowe engine heater which I believe is attached to the radiator not the fuel lines.

A petrol engine doesn't need a heater as such on the fuel because unlike diesel it doesn't freeze in winter conditions.

Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - grumpyscot
My X reg Saab 93 had one - super in winter - full heat blasting out after half a mile - latest diesel - takes 10 miles to even get warm.
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - jc2
Many of the vehicles referred to have AUXILIARY heaters;pre-heaters are something else-just like Kenlowe they can be run to warm up the engine before it is started-however are not legal in all countries and,obviously,fuel powered ones would kill you if used in a garage.
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - daveyjp
Audis have them. My first A3 had a Webasto which was powered by diesel, the latest models have an electric heating element. Both give heat after about a mile.
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - Group B
My 1999 Saab has one as standard. It makes a roaring noise like a mini jet engine when it works in the morning (has to be below 5'C for it to operate).

Last year the first day it got cold enough for it to operate, I stopped at the first set of traffic lights and a big cloud of white smoke wafted out from under my car - I got some funny looks from other drivers, as I tried not to panic! I thought it had broken but luckily it was okay on subsequent journeys, must just have been clearing itself out after a year of being dormant.

This company used to advertise them in car magazines, for aftermarket fitment:
snipurl.com/20cgr [www_eberspacher_com]

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 25/02/2008 at 11:52

Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - jc2
That is NOT a pre-heater-it is an auxiliary heater.It is only a pre-heater if it can be used to heat the engine before the engine has been started.Most modern diesels(particularly DI) have AUXILIARY heaters fitted as well as fuel heaters.
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - Group B
Oh right, I see the distinction. On mine it is called an auxiliary heater but Saab used to sell a timer kit, so you could set it to pre-heat via the dashboard info display. The timer kit was about £250 (fitted) when I enquired so I didnt bother; and I don't think they sell it anymore.

The Eberspacher ones have timer and remote control options:
www.eberspacher.com/car.php?section=automotive (scroll to bottom).

;o)
Diesel Engine Pre-heaters - daveyjp
jc2 - Audi system can be fitted with a timer, but not an option in the UK as it doesn't get cold enough.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Cardew
I would have thought the fuel consumption would only be affected in the first couple of miles(or so) until the engine was fully warm.

For short journeys with a cold engine I can see the advantages in consumption, but surely not on a longer journey? Interested to know the 'pattern of usage'

Of course it is also nice to get into a car with the heater worhing straight away.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Altea Ego
Pre Heaters:
I understand the VW touran is fitted with one as standard? any one confimr this?

How do they work, are they working all the time its below x degrees?
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Pre Heaters:
I understand the VW touran is fitted with one as standard?
any one confimr this?
How do they work, are they working all the time its
below x degrees?
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family

Different kind of pre-heater...

The heater the posters are referring to above are those which warm the engine to improve cold start, fuel economy and reduce engine wear.

The pre-heat in the Touran and many other VAG TDI engined cars is a heater to warm the coolant before it passes through the heater matrix when the engine is stone cold, so that on a frosty morning the heater works quicker.

It's a real bonus on a TDi engine, because they take forever to warm up. My old Mk4 Golf TDI used to take 5 miles plus before the air blew warm. My new A4 is warm pretty much straight away :-)
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Ruperts Trooper
One of the options for L-R products is a diesel powered heater, which can be set on a timer to heat both the engine and the interior using the coolant circulation, ala Kenlowe. This one will work in the middle of nowhere!
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - mss1tw
Mates old BT Transit came with one, Kenlowe I think. It ran off the diesel, no mains needed. Made a hell of a racket though.

The new Vauxhall vans don't have them.

Worth keeping an eye out at auction if you're after a van with all the kit cheap. Just choose carefully.

Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - BladeRunner
There are a few types or fuelled pre-heaters, notably from Webasto & Eberspacher, the "best" and most complex are either diesel or petrol powered mini boilers that work in basically the same way as a domestic central heating boiler. I just fitted a webasto DBW 46 to an Audi A6 2.5 TDI and it really has transformed using the car from cold.

My journey to work is about 7 miles and the heater would just start to work after about 7 miles (tepid), but the engine was still below the 50c mark on the gauge. An unfortunate downside to Diesel engines because they are just so much more heat efficient than petrol engines.

Fitting it wasn't basic diy and quite a lot of work considering it's a generic item and not desiged to fit my car, but for me at least well worth the effort, (and cost). The webasto range has newer more efficient models now, (Thermo top), and such features availble as remote start, and and modem so you can also phone the heater to start it!, (handy if you are on an often delayed train).

Both types mentoned above heat & circulate the coolant, and depending on how they are installed will heat the interior and the engine to virtually normal operating temps on about 1/4 the diesel than running the engine would consume. Other more simpler types often used in vans and lorries burn diesel to make hot air blower, (can be noisy as mentioned).

I have a question, was wondering what the legalities of running the heater in my car on red diesel would be. At present I've modified the pick up in the tank, (the pre-heater takes fuel from a separate suction about 1 inch above the standard engine supply to avoid it ever running the tank dry). If I were to fit say a 20 litre additional tank under the car that was not connected to the main tank, could I fill this with red diesel? I wouldn't be using it for driving the car just Pre-heating it so would that come under road use??
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - PhilW
"The pre-heat in the Touran and many other VAG TDI engined cars is a heater to warm the coolant before it passes through the heater matrix when the engine is stone cold, so that on a frosty morning the heater works quicker."

Also found on Xantia HDi 110 - not sure if all models or just Exclusive

Phil
Also found on Xantia HDi 110 - not sure if all
models or just Exclusive

Interesting...can you get some pics/info? Wouldn't mind trying to fit this to my 306. Takes an age to warm up in the morning!
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Mapmaker
Road use

well, you're clearly not using on the road. But if a policeman were to investigate your car, it:

1, would have red stain in the injectors

2, would have a tank full of red diesel

3, would look as though you were avoiding duty.

Well I suppose I'll have to get the official wording and see how is laid out because if it says road use then technically using the heater while that car is on the road could fall under the legal definition.

just seems crazy burning expensive, (over taxed), white diesel, if I could legally use cheaper red as I intend to use the pre heater all year round to increase engine life, (especially as it's now done over 180,000 miles)

Thanks for the input, to clarify....

1. The Red diesel would never go through the engines injectors or any part of the cars fuel system. it is only burnt by the pre-heater in it's own sealed combustion chamber totally separate from the cars fuel & exhaust systems..

2. Yes the additional tank would have red diesel, but in no way connected to the "white diesel tank". One outlet from the additional tank with red would go directly to the pre-heaters supply pump.

3.Yes it could be misconstrued, but would be nice to know what the legalities are as I'd be able to prove if need be it wasn't fuel the car was running / driving on.
By no means fully investigated yet, but an excerpt from the HM Customs & Excise site seems to indicate that using red for my heater set up as previously described is ok:-

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. General questions about rebated fuels

4.2 Does any separate machinery on my road vehicle also have to use fully duty paid fuel?

You need not use fully duty paid fuel for your separate machinery so long as it has its own fuel supply and engine separate from the vehicle?s fuel supply and engine. You must use fully duty paid fuel if the vehicle?s fuel supply OR engine drive the separate machinery. If your vehicle is allowed under section 8 to use oil other than fully duty paid fuel as fuel, you can similarly fuel any separate machinery on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsP...5
It's a real bonus on a TDi engine, because they take
forever to warm up.

I know it's not relevant to the thread but it's interesting to hear you admit this, because one of the reasons that I won't buy a diesel is the deleterious effect on heater performance of the long engine (and hence also coolant) warm-up time.
--
L\'escargot.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Bill Payer
Bladerunner - don't know how old your Audi is, but I'm pretty sure they have additional electric heaters fitted now, albeit they only work when the engine is running. However there is another thread www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36725&...e that mentions Passat and A4 diesels that blow out warm air after 20-30 seconds. I think Ford also use this system on their diesels.

My MB C270CDi has a setting which somehow allows the air-conditioning compressor to assist engine warm-up on cold days and that gets warm pretty quickly.
My MB C270CDi has a setting which somehow allows the air-conditioning
compressor to assist engine warm-up on cold days and that gets
warm pretty quickly.

Wouldn't that just be the extra load on the engine? Not that I'd mind being proved wrong on this one...sounds interesting.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Bill Payer
>> My MB C270CDi has a setting which somehow allows the
air-conditioning
>> compressor to assist engine warm-up on cold days and that
gets
>> warm pretty quickly.
Wouldn't that just be the extra load on the engine? Not
that I'd mind being proved wrong on this one...sounds interesting.

Yes, I'm sure it must be, and the fuel consumption does seem to have increased since the colder weather - indicated average 44MPG on long runs that were 48MPG (still with the a/c on) during the summer.
However I noticed that my wife's Jazz fuel consumption has increased too in the colder weather. That would reliably indicate 50MPG a few wks ago, now it's only 44MPG.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Hamsafar
Good point, surely car aircon could be designed to be 'reversed' to heat the car?
Plenty of fixed (building) airconditioners now heat as well as cool simply by reversing the refrigerant direction, and are very energy efficient, typically only requiring 25% of the heat output they provide in electricity consumption.
Just had the heater unit out to replace the matrix, (not because it was faulty as such, but blocked due to previous owner using just water in the cooling system... muppet!), and found it has an electric additional heater fitted.

This was obviously faulty, but I wasn't aware they were fitted to cars as "old" as mine. I'd seen additional heater mentioned in the Haynes manual and thought they were referring to the webasto unit which was also an option on my car.. at least in Europe.

In replacing the matrix I left the additional electric heater out and wont be replacing it for two reasons:-

1. I have the webasto diesel powered pre-heater as mentioned, (which works far better now with a new heater matrix)

2. Audi want £1500.00 + VAT for a new electric heater... ROTFLMAO

for those that want to view the internally diamond encrusted / gold plated item I've included some image links

www.zfz.com/pictures/ebay/heater_01.jpg

www.zfz.com/pictures/ebay/heater_02.jpg

www.zfz.com/pictures/ebay/heater_03.jpg
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Adam {P}
Man I need a Pepsi.
Please note I'm in no way affilated with Pepsi, empty can was included for size only ;-)
It maybe annoying but appreciate the reason the engine / heater in diesel takes longer to produce heat isn't a fault, but the fact they are not wasting so much energy from the fuel they are burning making waste heat. Driven correctly diesels are far more economical than an equivalent petrol engine, it's just testers and most people that have only owned petrol cars drive them in the same way using too many revs. I very rarely need to go over 2000 rpm in mine, and mostly around 1200 to 1500 rpm, (six speed) I get an average of 52mpg with mostly A road, town and a little M way use. (not bad for a big estate car).

Yes mine is the older Audi 100 shape A6, 5 cylinder 140bhp.

Electric heater assisters are an answer to quicker heater output in the newer cars but you can't beat a pre-heater, because it will pre warm the interior, defrost the windows and warm the engine, (cold starts are where the majority of wear & damage occurs), the worst par of a cold car for me was the steering wheel, (some newer cars have heated wheels,but oddly they are not very reliable / long lasting from what I've read?)

Most of the higher end cars can have webasto heaters as an option, but the cost is often far more than retro fitting one.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Group B
I wouldnt have thought the diesel powered ones would use enough fuel for it to be an issue, to make it worthwhile using red diesel? I thought they were talking about banning red diesel anyway?

My Saab 9-3 TiD has an engine auxiliary heater (diesel powered)fitted as standard. It automatically starts with the ignition if the outside temperature is below 5'C, and the coolant temperature is below 75'C.
It makes a noise like a mini jet engine under the bonnet, and you sometimes notice a different exhaust smell coming from under the car.
You can buy a kit from Saab so you can time it to start before you get in the car, but its around £200 so I cant be bothered.

At around 0'C it seems to warm the car a bit quicker, but not as quick as I expected it would. I'm told they are more effective in the colder weather they get in Sweden.
It's a real bonus on a TDi engine, because they take
forever to warm up.

>>I know it's not relevant to the thread but it's interesting >>to hear you admit this, because one of the reasons that I >>won't buy a diesel is the deleterious effect on heater >>performance of the long engine (and hence also coolant) warm->>up time.
>>--
>>L'escargot.

I think it's pretty much widely accepted that Diesel engines take longer to warm up than petrol.

That said, with the auxilliary heaters which are fitted as standard to a large number of cars nowadays, it's not an issue. My TDI is blowing hot air out within a minute of start-up on a frosty morning - even quicker than a petrol engine.
That said, with the auxilliary heaters which are fitted as standard
to a large number of cars nowadays, it's not an issue.
My TDI is blowing hot air out within a minute of
start-up on a frosty morning - even quicker than a petrol
engine.

I didn't know that. Obviously I'm behind the times diesel-wise. How do they work? Electricity or fuel-burning?
--
L\'escargot.
In response to Cardew, usage is a 40-mile round trip almost every day, interspersed with longer trips but very few shorter trips. This has been the pattern for the past several years and more.

I guess it exposes how heavy fuel consumption can be in those first few miles. I noticed the difference immediately, but after the initial excitement and some sober reflection I was not expecting a marked change in fuel consumption.

However, the numbers are there -- cumulative and therefore more reliable than a rolling average -- and I can't deny them. I'm also noticing 30+ mpg on an individual tankful, which I never saw before the pre-heater was installed.

The latest fill-up has seen the cumulative average rise to 28.01 mpg. I always use Optimax (down to 90.9 at Shell Chiswell St Albans, with premium down to 84.9).
I think most of them are electric. In it's most simplistic terms, it's a coiled heater element wrapped around the water hose just before water reaches the heater matrix. I'm sure it's a lot more complex than that (!), but that's the general idea.

I believe there are also some manufacturers who fit actual fuel burning heaters - not sure if this is standard fit or optional extra.

Personally I have an Audi with one of the electric elements and it works a treat. It will only run with the engine running, so you don't scupper your battery. It can be turned off on the climate control by pressing the ECON button (which also turns aircon off).

Not noticed any drop in fuel economy by using it, but apparently it can affect it slightly. Presumably the fuel burning ones are even more thirsty.

Doesn't seem to make the temperature gauge move any quicker though, so suspect the warmed coolant is recirculated through the heater matrix rather than being allowed to enter the engine...
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - richy
Red diesel is currently 50p/litre compared to 12p in 2001 so not as much saving as it would have been. Probably not worth the hassle on cost grounds, could also see an MOT station giving grief over the safety of an additional fuel tank.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Lud
Bit of topic drift here, but the VW 411 had a petrol stove to supplement its weak heater, and the top models had a timer so that the device would come on before you left your house in the Hamburg suburbs to drive to work through the snow.

My impression was that these things stopped working early and were never repaired. The one in my 411 Variant certainly didn't work, just as well because its fuel consumption was 28 mpg at all speeds. Quite a nice car though with a solid feel if you didn't mind the nose-up stance when there was no luggage in the huge front boot.
I should have added: the bigger capacity VW flat fours especially the 1700cc one in the 411 had weak bottom ends, and a lot of 411s had rattly second-hand engines.
Wow -- talk of a VW 4ll! I had a 411LE Variant as a company car in the early 1970s. It was great in a straight line and predictable around bends, but a nightmare on motorways in strong crosswinds -- unless, like me, you put a couple of hundredweight in the front boot, which in my case was boxes of books. The brakes were awful, the gear change the proverbial pudding-basin feel, but it was capacious and not short on elegance for its time.
Mine was an LE as well, very secondhand. When I bought it the front boot cover was dogeared having at some point come open at speed. I bought a secondhand navy blue one from a later model, which made the white car look like a German police car. Anyway something about it seemed to attract the traffic and other police.

I don't know about elegant but it was made of thick metal and the distant thrum of the engine sounded good. It was supposed to be able to cruise indefinitely flat out in top at 96mph, was comfortable and rode and handled quite well once the dampers had been replaced, but used to shake loose its complicated and expensive exhaust system, eating the copper rings that served as manifold gaskets and sometimes giving quite decently loud backfires. I liked it (I like Skoda Estelles too) but packed it in when the final drive went.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - mrmender
Wow! somebody else remembers the 412le. My dad had a new 73 variant, essentialy a estate car with 2 boots
I too remember the petrol heater, very good long distance cruser. Dad's only comment on handling was it handled the best when he had a load of tiles in the front boot!
Have not seen one for many years guess the've all rusted away
Was this the ultimate development of VW's aircooled cars?
Red diesel is currently 50p/litre compared to 12p in 2001 so
not as much saving as it would have been. Probably not
worth the hassle on cost grounds, could also see an MOT
station giving grief over the safety of an additional fuel tank.

I did some very basic calcs and it worked out about £150 a year to use it twice a day for 300 days on duty paid diesel.

I must admit, (I wasn't aware Golden Brown had got his tax greedy paws on Red as well), last time I bought some was probably 1998 for a JCB.

I might still do it once I confirm the legality as £50 to £70 saving a year may not be much but it'll give me ten times the satisfaction knowing this Tax happy government wont be getting it, and it can go towards my ever increasing Council Tax extortion..
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Bonso
Hi,
I bought a used 1999 model Saab 9-3 TiD a few months back. I was reading through the handbook recently & was surprised to read about the diesel powered auxillary heater that switches in when temp is below 5C.
Overall I'm really impressed with the car but my problem is the weather just lately has been well below 5C and I'm not sure this aux heater is working properly.
Have you got any tips on how I can check the device is operating correctly plse? Also, where is it & what does it look like under the bonnet plse?
I find I can't get a Haynes Manual for a 9-3....what do other people use for diy maintenance if there isn't a Haynes manual?
As a complete newcomer to Saabs any help/advice you can give will be very gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - ubidenmark
Can never understand why Audi, MB etc don?t offer the pre-heater option to the UK market. Have they never heard of the Scottish winter. ? From November to March it?s often necessary to thoroughly de-ice the car before it can be used. Pre-heat would be bliss.
Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Old Navy
often necessary to thoroughly de-ice the car before it can be used. Pre-heat would be bliss.

I find a mains powered fan heater in the car for 10 - 15 minutes when it is serously cold is adequate to de-ice and warm the car. For the odd few days it is required (even in Scotland, its not Siberia) it is an easier option. I must admit I only use this method on the car that is not in the garage. How long before we can start aircon threads? Mine is working, it was dripping water yesterday, (in Scotland).

Edited by Old Navy on 28/02/2009 at 11:00

Fuel economy with engine pre-heater - Group B
Have you got any tips on how I can check the
device is operating correctly plse? Also, where is it & what
does it look like under the bonnet plse?
I find I can't get a Haynes Manual for a 9-3....what
do other people use for diy maintenance if there isn't a
Haynes manual?
As a complete newcomer to Saabs any help/advice you can give
will be very gratefully accepted.
Thanks

The Saab 9-3 auxiliary engine heater is mounted high on the engine bay bulkhead (just right of centre when looking from the front). Its a metal box about 9" long with a rounded underside and a plastic top. It has 2 rubber heater hoses coming out of the top.

For it to work it needs to be below 5'c, coolant temp. needs to be below 75'c, and there needs to be more than 10 litres of fuel in the tank (ie. wont work if low fuel light is on.)
To tell its working there should be a slightly acrid exhaust smell drifting up from under the car, and there should be a muted roaring noise coming from the heater (can hear it from within the car).
It can be de-activated by a service technician, so if not working, this may have been requested by a previous owner.

To be honest, the one on mine doesnt seem to make it warm up much faster; I was advised they work better in the colder temps. they get in Sweden.

I have a Saab 900 Haynes manual which covers a lot of stuff on the 9-3, but not everything, and not the diesel engine. For maintenance advice see the forum at www.saabscene.com.

HTH,

Rich