2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Ben79
I am an IAM observer and my associate drives a 2003 Astra 1.6 Sport.

While talking through cockpit checks we noticed that the car does not have an ABS lamp.

I don't want to try and get him to lock the wheels, but does anybody know if this car is fitted with ABS?

I looked under the bonnet and couldn't see an ABS block, just two brake pipes going towards the back of the car, and 1 towards each wheel.

Any ideas?
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Altea Ego
It should have ABS as standard, unless its an import from outside EU
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Dynamic Dave
It should have ABS as standard, unless its an import from outside EU

Not necessarily. ABS brakes didn't become mandatory on cars sold in Europe until 1st July 2004.

www.autofinder.ie/asp1/afmain.asp?lnk=101&id=277

IIRC, the only Astra's of that era that were fitted with ABS as standard were the more luxurious models, such as the CD models upwards.

Several ways to tell if it does have ABS. One way is the checklight (yes, I know you've mentioned it doesn't light up) and another way is to listen carefully just after pulling away from first starting up and hearing the system do a self diagnostic check, which will sound like a faint buzzing sound.

Alternately find some wet grass and have a playabout ;o)
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Ruperts Trooper
ABS was standard on 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 Astras but also available as an option on 1.4, 1.6, 1.7TD and 2.0TD. If it's a grey import, it'll have Opel badging!

It's not difficult on a CLEAR road to do any emergency stop which will activate the ABS if it's fitted, even on a dry road.
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Altea Ego
According to parkers there was also no such thing as a 2003 astra 1.6 sport.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
According to parkers ....

Nor Glass's guide either.

Anyway, according to the 2003 Astra brochure,

82.34.50.33/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/Brochures.../

Anti lock brakes were only fitted as standard equipment on the Elegance and SRi models, and also the 2.0 DTi engined Astras. It was an optional extra on all other models and engine sizes.

82.34.50.33/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/Brochures...g
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Ruperts Trooper
I don't want to try and get him to lock the
wheels, but does anybody know if this car is fitted with
ABS?

Surely ALL drivers, whether standard or advanced, should have experience of the effect that ABS has on the brake pedal.

It's a natural, but wrong, reaction for inexperienced drivers to lift off when the ABS operates. The correct reaction is to apply MORE pressure, not less.

The only way to experience this, safely, is on a clear road with a deliberate emergency stop.
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - John S
SeeFive

Sounds like it doesn't have it. ABS unit is situated below and behind the battery on these cars, above the gearbox. Easily spotted. It was an option on most models at that time. Never heard of a 'Sport' as a mainstream model though. Special edition from a dealer perhaps?

JS
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - Ben79
Maybe I am getting old and forgetting it is an SXI.
Maybe I am getting old and forgetting it is an SXI.

Hopefully not offending anyone, the SXi is a poor man's equivalent of the SRi (a bit like the Golf Driver model compared with the Golf GTi)

The SXi won't have ABS as standard equipment. IIRC, it was a £300 or thereabouts optional extra when my Dad requested it on his 51 reg Astra Club.
2003 Astra 1.6 Sport. ABS or not? - John S
DD

Got one but not offended! Yes, £350 extra on my 1.8 SXi. Interestingly the dealer said he always ordered 1.8 SXi models for stock with ABS as virtually everyone wanted it anyway. Made up one of the key spec. differences between the SXi and the SRi.

JS