406 V6 coil (again) - Big Bad Dave
Puegeot 406 V6 year 2001 100k miles

The coil on cylinder 3 has failed two miles into a hundred mile trip. Fortunately I was right outside a Peugeot dealer and they?re fixing it now.

In the service history, it was recalled to have all six coils replaced, coil 5 was replaced three months ago in Gdansk. I know it?s only a ten minute job once the right faulty coil has been diagnosed, would I be able to do it myself in future if I carried a couple of spares? How involved is it? I can change brake pads, oil and put shelves up and I carry a basic tool kit. Can you tell a failed coil by looking at it? Am I being realistic?

Cheers, Dave
406 V6 coil (again) - Altea Ego
Dave

Doddle to change yourself. To diagnose? you disconect one of the coils in turn, if there is no change in engine note (ie does not get worse), you have located the failed coil. Basis of this is that if you disconect a working coil it will make the engine hesitate more.
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
406 V6 coil (again) - Adam {P}
This is exactly how my coil pack was diagnosed as faulty.

A man of your expertise will have no problem fixing it Dave.
406 V6 coil (again) - Big Bad Dave
Cheers guys, that actually makes perfect sense!
406 V6 coil (again) - Vincent de Marco
a coil... so simple, yet so troublesome little thingy. They use the same V6 engine not only in a 406, but also in a new 407, 607-luxo-barge, Laguna, C5, C8 and God knows where else.
I thought only VW suffered from it...
- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.