Toyota Camry 2.2 - Greg R
Hi

I am looking to purchase a toyota camry 2.2 litre and am really just asking what I should look out for when searching for one.

I know they are very reliable, and there are some good examples out there for very favourable amounts of money.

Also, from which websites can I find used camrys. There are very few advertised, and being picky I am looking for a very well kept example, garaged if possible, and light interior.

I know there is autotrader.co.uk, loot.co.uk and friday-ad.co.uk. I am can buy from the South east and london (I travel between Brighton and London) so anywhere there would be the best bet.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
Toyota Camry 2.2 - Imagos
Have you tried ebay? 14 on there tonight, worth a look even if you dont bid.

tinyurl.com/amn3v
Toyota Camry 2.2 - Aprilia
Cracking value cars.

There were some sludging problems with 2.2l engine (look in rocker box etc.). Also some reports of problems with front suspension struts - I can' remember the details but IIRC it was to do with leaking struts or problems with strut top bearings.
Other than that they are very reliable and a really big seller in the US. Bear in mind that Toyota really pull your trousers down and smack your bottom when it comes to parts pricing.... So look out for worn discs, tired radiators etc etc - might cost more than you expect to fix, and pattern parts are few and far between.
Toyota Camry 2.2 - bell boy
seconded on this aprilia, they sure know how to charge on basic service articles,very similar to mazda i think.
Toyota Camry 2.2 - MrWibble
Second Aprilia on dealer parts pricing - I keep an Ebay automatic search on Camry parts to stock up on likely items for my 94 V6. A bad experience with a radiator (£300 from dealer) was enough for me. My Camry has been extremely reliable since then with just oil-changes and some spit and polish.

Also worth looking at parts sites (especially US site as even with import VAT and shipping they can be very competitive for parts you are sure will fit UK vehicles).

In short, just make sure cooling system is in good nick, autobox is working fine where fitted (change fluids on purchase if not done recently) and rest of car is working fine with some bills to prove. Just what you would look for on any car of that age.

Camry radiator can be recored if necessary. About £70+VAT from my local radiator man.
Toyota Camry 2.2 - MrWibble
I had the bad luck to have a pattern plastic top radiator - mechanic doing engine swap (paid for by seller) overtightened cap and ripped plastic threads (short yet expensive story). New rad is steel without filler cap on top - much better.

They occasionally come up on Ebay @ £99 ish if recoring won't help.

Toyota Camry 2.2 - kal
They sell well in the Middle East, reliable and cheap to run and fix, usual Toyota qualities, a new Camry is 70,000 Dhs at 6.3 to one GBP, on the road price.
Toyota Camry 2.2 - kal
My cousin has one in the UK, it has done 180k, on the same engine and gear box and seems in goood health, needs new shocks though! does 350 miles on a tank in general suburban London driving and this guy is not light footed!
Toyota Camry 2.2 - MW
I have often fancied one of these. My American friend sweares by them. When I told him they are discontinued in the UK as we see them as competition in the BMW/Mercedes price range, he was confused until I told him the UK price, then he just laughed. Why did Toyota not sell this great car for Mondeo money which is what it is in the USA?
I was wondering what the implications of the growing spares problem would be in 6-7 years. Can UK toyota dealers do a cam belt change? If so, is it silly money? Any experiences?
Are the cheap USA spares mail order shops 'easy' with UK models? How different are they?
Toyota Camry 2.2 - greenhey
I did some work in Toyota dealerships about 3 years ago .Toyota were still trying to distinguish the Lexus brand and very sensitive about dealers creating disctinctions between the two ( as in VW/Audi )- but afraid of the cost of building dedicated Lexus outlets.
Several of the dealers I worked with, when we discussed the range ( which is one of the biggest anyone has, even Ford) they forgot the Camry .None of them had one in stock if you wanted to see one.
Mentally they thought it belonged to Lexus, but it didn't , so no-one loved it
I think the Camry (with some trim changes) is sold as a Lexus in certain markets.
Toyota UK lost interest in it when the Lexus brand was launched. In the late '80's and early-mid '90s the Camry sold quite well, but I guess the IS200 took over that market and was more profitable.

I have found the Japanese to be pretty good on spares. Sometimes you can have a long wait if for an obscure model, but the parts do come through in the end.
Toyota Camry 2.2 - Adam {P}
Is that the Lexus Windom or something like that Aprilia? I think I saw one a while ago which looked very similar.
The Windom is a Toyota name. I think ES200 was the Lexus name.

Japanese models names are very confusing, and they have a vast variety of engine and transmission options over there. The IS200 was also sold as the Toyota Altezza, for example.

I saw, in Japan, the new IS-series and it comes with both 2.5 and 3.5 petrol engines, plus a Diesel, plus the choice of 2WD or 4WD. They are also talking about a petrol-elec hybrid.....

I gather Nissan might be bringing the Infiniti brand to Europe too?
Toyota Camry 2.2 - Adam {P}
Ahhh - I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Not a catchy name in any event.

Believe it or not, I knew of the Altezza before the IS. The first Gran Turismo had it on and I'd never seen it before. Imagine my surprise when I actually saw an IS on the roads a short while later!
Toyota Camry 2.2 - expat
Lots of Camrys here in Australia. They make them in Melbourne and export big numbers to the Middle East. New Camrys sell for about AU$26,000 for a basic 4 cyl with manual. V6 autos are about AU$29,000 (AU$1 = approx 42 pence). They have a good reputation and there are lots on Government fleets. They are a nice drive and have no trouble keeping up with traffic even with the little 2.2 engine although I think the V6s are much better. A really good car with a reputation for long life and reliability. I did hear that you have to take off the intake manifold to replace the plugs on the V6 though, but every car has some weak spot.
Toyota Camry 2.2 - MW
My very point. £11,000. What a buy. Focus money. Anyone had a cam belt done? How much?