New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - AndyTDi130
Hi All,

Was finally offered a new job today, which I've gratefully accepted! However, it seems I'm to leave my fairly cushy life in a warm office in the world of marketing for a new life as a glorified sales rep! (I have bills that need paying! ;-) )

I've been given a fairly free reign of what I can have, so long as I stick with these rules:

* Max spend £18k (can prob negotiate a few quid here and there, but not 000's)
* Must have 4 doors
* No more than 2.0 petrol or 2.2 diesel

And thats about it! There were raised eyebrows at Alfa, so I guess thats a non starter - I ought to be keeping these guys happy till we've established a relationship!

My personal requirements are:
* Comfortable - I'm covering everything south of Stafford so expect up to 50k/year.
* Reliable! I've no desire to be on the side of the M5 in a snow storm in my best suit!
* Fairly quick - not looking for Impreza quick, but enough to have a play when the mood takes me.
* Firm yet not harsh - had a Passat Sport until recently (53 plate so older shape)...seemed harsh with no real benefit in the twisty stuff
* Wont cost the earth in Tax, but dont mind paying a little extra for the right car.

Picky - me?!

With the help of PoloGirl, we've narrowed the field to these:
* VW Golf GT TDi
* VW Passat 2.0 TDi SE
* Seat Leon 2.0 TDi Sport DGS
* Skoda Octavia 2.0 Tdi "L&K"
* Skoda Octavia 2.0T vRS

As you can see, we're VAG group fans! I do like to have some "toys", and the Octavia looks like amazing value for money. I am certain to be working with non-car people, and am prepared for the laughing if I order a Skoda - I'm working on the basis that I'll get the last laugh.

Anyone tried the new Passat? Just looks a little stodgy?
Is the Leon any good for long distances? (will be doing anything upto 4/500 miles a day sometimes)

Oh - and we considered the TDCi Mondeo...I know it "makes sense" but I fancied something for me this time...and the Mondeo just isn't it!

Thanks all!
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - cumfray1
Have you considered the SAAB 9-3? it's in your price bracket, has some toys & does come with a bit of poke
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Roly93
Have you considered the SAAB 9-3? it's in your price bracket,
has some toys & does come with a bit of poke

>>
Dont do it !!!!!!
I had one myself from new, and although the car was okay, the c**p build quality and software glitches show the car isn't (as many motoring journalists say) a viable alternative to BMW/Audi etc. Also I see you are looking at diesels, the 93 has the Fiat based 1.9 diesel engine, (mine was the old 2.2), whilst this engine is fairly good in the performance and refinement stakes, rumour has it that it is only delivering marginal economy. I'd say stick with a VaG choice.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - cub leader
Different spokes for different folks, my dad has had one for the pat 4 years as a company car, no problems good dealer etc, liked it so much he has just ordered a new one. If the guy like VAG then go with it then he will never really feeel disappointed in the car he's got
--
Im a student ive got time!!!
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - cheddar
As you can see, we're VAG group fans!

>>

Thought you said reliable?
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Round The Bend
Personally I would n't have a VAG for some time following my recent 3 year experience of the Passat. But to answer your question, the Seat Leon 2.0 TDi Sport DGS is the best of your bunch.
If you have to cover 50k miles per year I'd go for the best spec'd Mondeo TCDi you can get.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Altea Ego
And what part of "I dont want a mondeo" did you miss?
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Round The Bend
And what part of "I dont want a mondeo" did you
miss?>>

Did n't miss any of it old chap, I merely noted that he had toyed with the "dreaded" Mondeo and provided my opinion. I drive a Mondeo now and I certainly did n't want one originally!

In the same boat as you, except I wont be doing 50k a year.

you wont go far wrong with any of those, I have dumped the golf from my list as its too small for family and doggie, the passat as it has no hatch for doggie.

of that lot the Passat will easily munch up those miles in comfort as will the Passat. For 50k a year you want comfort and lots of it.
--
I agree with RF that of the choice presented the Passat would be best however there are potentailly better options out there depending on what is important to you.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - NowWheels
Andy, are you the "Passat driver" to whom PoloGirl sometimes refers?
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - oldtoffee
I was in a similar position not so long ago although I was looking at Golf/Leon sized cars. The Seat suspension is too hard IMO for long journeys let alone town driving. Golf v nice but too expensive and I don't like the dealers, Focus - too Ford so I bought a Skoda Fabia vRS and saved myself a load of cash. I figured that 99% of the time there's only ever me in the car and on the odd occasion that I need a bigger car I'll borrow or rent one. It isn't or at least it doesn't appear that much smaller than a Golf or Leon. I've done 3,500 miles in 3 weeks mainly motorway and A road high speed crusing and I'm getting 49mpg. £360 a year insurance, unlimited mileage - nice. The ride is excellent and it cruises like a car one or two sizes bigger. And a big plus for me is having owned a Passat and suffering at the hands of VW dealers, my local Skoda dealer is a breath of fresh air. £50 an hour main dealer labour rates, servicing isn't going to be the painful experience it was with the Passat. Oh yeah nearly forgot, it goes like stink and handles more than well enough for "when the mood takes me" :-)
Andy, I know you like VAG cars, but have you tried a Toyota Avensis? Very comfortable, and should fit your reliability requirement much better than a VW.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Roly93
Andy, I know you like VAG cars, but have you tried
a Toyota Avensis? Very comfortable, and should fit your reliability
requirement much better than a VW.

>>
Why does everyone think VaG cars are unreliable ?
I've had 2 Passats with about 70k miles in total with none other than the tiniest of faults, my father has a Passat with no problems after 2 1/2 years, I have an Audi A4 with no problems so far after 10 months.
VaG bashing seems a popular sport these days, I can only think its because the dealers are naff, but the cars are good.
These days all cars are so reliable the margin between them has become insignificant, therefore isn't it better to go for the car with a solid feel and good residuals ?
These days all cars are so reliable the margin between them
has become insignificant, >>

VAG cars have got a poorish reputation these days however you make a very good point.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - SlightlyFatRep
Having also been through the same position (and covering the same area / mileage) I had it narrowed to the Octavia vRs (new version just coming out) or a Volvo S60.

The Volvo won as a bit more presigious (I know, I know. A badge snob - but only a tiny bit as the Skoda was 2nd choice, above BMW etc so I can know a bargain when I see it!). The Volvo is also very comfy (won Auto Express most comfortable seat award!)and very very well equipped (I have the basic S version - comes with Climate control, stability control, CD, Alloys, etc).

Only problem is the Diesel is a 2.4 litre (outside of your criteria I know - but boy, is it good), but the Petrol entry level version is a 2.0 Turbo (180hp). List price for the petrol is £19,995 but people like Motorpoint have then well within your budget. I got the diesel within your budget but it would be tight now as prices have been hiked.

So, if I had to choose from YOUR short list it would be the Skoda vRS - a bargain, quality, well kitted car. Try one though to make sure you will be happy with the firm ride over many miles.

Good luck!
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - mr.freezer
I've been thinking about a Fabia vRS as a company car to cover around forty k miles a year but the only thing stopping me is I'm a bit worried about the boot space (I had an Octavia estate before)New job does not require the boot space any more.
One 2 year old kid and potentially angry wife..... can I get away with it ?
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Happy Blue!
Read this months CAR mag.

Skoda wins against Audi A3, Golf and Seat Leon (New shape).

Alternatively.....Hmmm not french or italian (reliability), no british, Vectra (ugly but good engine)?, Japanese - Avensis?

I'd have the Octavia, but Golf Max may appeal?

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks Guys!

Went out today to have a look in the showrooms - what a mixed bag!

The Skoda garage was excellent - no pressure, no rush, informative and the car was excellent too. Went on to VW, sat in the new Passat. It's massively different to the one I had before and doesnt feel all that well screwed together. If that was disappointing, the sales staff were terrible - just couldn't be bothered.

Also went to see the Avensis, and was pleasantly surprised. Would be looking at the T3x spec, which seemed pretty well loaded. Again, sales staff were poor - insisted I had to go to Sandhurst if I wanted a test drive...thats a good 20 miles from here!

Oh and NW - yeah I am the Passat driver referred to by PoloGirl...hope she hasn't painted a bad reputation for me?!

Thanks all, and best regards,

Andy
Oh and NW - yeah I am the Passat driver referred to by
PoloGirl...hope she hasn't painted a bad reputation for me?!

Don't worry, most of it is not too bad! ;)

Seriously, tho, she's been very nice abt you :)
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - oldtoffee
>>One 2 year old kid and potentially angry wife..... can I get away with it ?

Probably not - boot space is OK, seats split and fold and you can even remove the base but not enough space for all the vital "clutter" that goes with kids. Your last chance saloon could be the fuel savings on a smaller more economical car if you get mileage and BIK savings on a £13k car against a £19K car over 3 years = one decent holiday for the three of you?
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - bradgate
Hi Andy,

If I was looking at doing 1000 miles a week, my priorities would be comfort, safety, refinement and more comfort.

Of your short list, I think the Passat in particular and also the Octavia TDI would be the best motorway companions. The Leon and Octavia vRS might be more fun down the country lanes, but that probably won't be relevant, unfortunately.

I suggest you try out the cars on your list as much as possible. 24 hour test-drives would be ideal, and helpful dealers or your company's lease partner may be able to arrange.

btw i understand the Peugeot 407 scores highly for comfort and refinement,and the Mazda 6 poorly.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - SjB {P}
btw i understand the Peugeot 407 scores highly for comfort and refinement,and the Mazda 6 poorly.

I haven't tried a 407 yet but the Mazda 6 is the noisiest and least refined saloon car I've come across in years. Bad enough on an A road but there's no way I'd want to munch motorway miles in one.
I haven't tried a 407 yet >>

Nor have I though my recent experience of a 2.0 petrol 307 and 2.2 petrol 607 made me wonder where Peugeot have gone wrong since the 205/309/405 era. Both are so utterly devoid of character, the 607 also being particularly unattractive. Therefore if the 407 has the 307/607 genes then it will not be up to much, futhermore I do not like the 407's looks though I know that there are those that do, that being said the rear of the saloon looks better that the tourer so it can always be parked front inwards on the drive! The redeeming feature on the 407 is the excellent new 2.0 HDi diesel engine, excellent in a C-Max anyway.
but but the Mazda 6 is the noisiest and least refined saloon car I've come across in years. Bad enough on an A road but there's no way I'd want to munch motorway miles in one.

The new facelift one is supposed to be better, good diesels as well.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - bradgate
sorry AndyTDi130, I had not intended to drag this thread off topic....
Also sorry, I have not helped keep it on track.
The new facelift one is supposed to be better

It was a brand spanking new 2.0 petrol 55 plate facelift model that I commented on. Dismal refinement.
Forgot to suggest a Focus C-Max TDCi.

HJ thinks its the most comfortable car he has ever driven; I recall.

If you are going to be doing 50,000miles pa, you want comfort, quietness and economy more than anything and sporty handling as an occasional extra. Forget anything too small (with honourable exception of Fabia vRS).

For me, I would look at Fabia or Octavia or C-Max as the best combination to save tax and remain sane.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - PoloGirl
Is now a good time to mention that whatever he gets will more than likely have me on the insurance too? (Safety a priority then...)

My money's with the Leon, but that's because it's the least reppy and most funky looking - I'm not the one having to spend all week in it so my priorities are different.

Don't forget the Fabia vRS is still on the shopping list for me at some point, so we don't really want two Skodas on the drive!

Leon has harsh ride and naff interior according to CAR. Not certain I'd want to do 50,000 miles a year in it.
--
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Paul Robinson
I can understand the heart saying 'least reppy' but if you're looking for a tool to perform reppy type tasks then ideally you should have something designed for the reppy fleet market.

I don't have to do lots of miles every week, week in week out, never have done, so others can advise better. But I have had several fleet type cars including a mondeo and a fair few fleet hire car trips. I'd find it difficult to rule out a vectra for those long days on the motorways.
reppy? funky? stylish? yep all great things to have in a car.

EXCEPT

50k miles a year? Thats a lot. Thats a long time in a car each year. Thats 100 12 hours days a year.

Do you care what the office chair looks like?

Refinement and comfort are the only things you should consider. End up with an uncomfortable car and the job will be the pits.
--
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - commerdriver
Absolutely right RF that's a lot of time sitting in a seat and at that mileage you'll spend a lot of time either cruising on motorways or sitting in traffic jams
I'd find it difficult to rule out a vectra for those long days on the motorways.

That's one of thge cars I would definitely rule out. The new-shape Vectras I have been in have been one of the few new cars which I have strongly disliked. Jerky ride, snatchy transmission: when my friend hires one for a journey, I groan and moan about being in another "tin kangaroo".

The seats are OK, the interior is OK, but the jerkiness is just awful. A truly horrid car.

(And no, it's not that my friend is a bad driver -- she's fine driving an Avensis or Mondeo or Mazda6)
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - nutty_nissan
That's one of thge cars I would definitely rule out.
The new-shape Vectras I have been in have been one of
the few new cars which I have strongly disliked.
Jerky ride, snatchy transmission: when my friend hires one for a
journey, I groan and moan about being in another "tin kangaroo".
The seats are OK, the interior is OK, but the jerkiness
is just awful. A truly horrid car.

I have to disagree. Refinement is where the new shape Vectra outclasses it's peers. Wind noise much more subdued than Mondeo & Avensis. Ride at motorway speeds is also superior. I quote from HJ's car by car breakdown.."General consensus of opinion between 'Autocar' and 'Auto Express' is that car has excellent ride quality but, while handling is a huge improvement on the old Vectra, it is still not quite up to Mondeo standards."

I confess I have only driven Auto Vectras (2.2 DTi and 3.2 V6), but both were excellent cruisers, with better seats for long journeys compared to Mondeo.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Paul Robinson
Just reinforces the advice to try all the possible cars and insist on a lengthy trial to form your own opinion as opinions do vary. It's more important than ever in this case when you will be doing so many miles and with a company car, if you find you've made a mistake you could be stuck with it for an awful long time.
You are spending someone else's money.

if it were me I would avoid the dull but worthy ones, (to me) so no vectra,mondeo or avensis

I'd throw caution to the wind and get the 2 litre Golf diesel
It's still a bit dull but it will look better when it gets a bit tired and dirty after a couple of years than say the fairly basic Passat that you would get for your budget

The Leon could fit the bill as well, Ive looked at one but the dealer's salesmen were more interested in their fantasy football scores than selling cars

I would avoid the dull but worthy
ones, (to me) >>

If on a budget that can mean the difference between a flash badge with no kit and a great drive with goodies.
I can see your point but the mondeo is due to be replaced soon, the avensis on an 18 grand budget is not going to be any better spec than the smaller golf (maybe sat-nav though)

VW to me is not a premium brand, maybe just percieved by many as being like Sony is for TV's etc

The Mondeo is due to be replaced in 2007, doing 50k a year it is likely that the OP would be up for another car by then. However even if there was a new one due next month it would not make the old one any worse.

I quite like the MkIV Golf though you can et a hell of a lot of, for instance, Focus for the same money which by most accounts is a better drive, better made and more reliable.

Personally for iro 18k to do 50k p/a I would be looking at a 2.2 Mondeo, stonking performance and sublime handling, perhaps an Avensis estate with the new 2.2 diesel engine (the Mondeo estate is to big IMO) or the Passat.
Good point about the focus, I had not really thought of it, although I don't think it comes with somewhere to put your left foot when in 5th. Petty I know but I drive 40 odd k a year and it would bug me

I agree as well about the toyota estate especially the new 2.2 diesel engine but can he get one for his budget ? I take it the 18 grand is list price only ?

I would go for a 2 litre diesel Octavia estate but he never mentioned needing an estate so my rec would be Golf then Focus or Hatch Octavia

New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - commerdriver
If possible you have to try the chosen car out for at least 100 miles before to commit, I liked the look of the X type but both SWMBO and I found the seats very uncomfortable.
Depends on your shape I guess, I also find Mondeo seats (heve tried LX and Ghia X) uncomfortable but did 150 miles in an Avensis and the seats in that were OK.
Hi All,

Well, I've finally put an order in....for a Honda Accord i-CDTi.

Originally decided to go for the Passat. My last one (TDI 130 Sport) was actually pretty good other than a couple of tiny niggles. It was also pretty well loaded as far as spec too.

Determined to shrug off the absolutely absimal serice in the local VW garage and fall in love with the Passat, I studied the brochure hard, only to discover the SE spec model gets virtually nothing on it! It's a good £1500 more expensive than the old car too!

I'd always liked the Accord to look at, so went to investigate. I honestly can't describe the quantum leap in terms of quality of product and service. If anyone's within a sensible reach of Basingstoke, City Honda are worth a visit. Was offered a coffee, a test drive there and then (VW needed two weeks notice) and a complete no-rush, no-pressure experience.
The car felt infinitely better screwed together and well specced too! Dual zone aircon instead of the basic manual effort in the VW too (useful as PoloGirl's always nagging its too hot/cold).

A little bit of haggling with my new company revealed it's the monthly rental cost thatthey're ultimately concerned about, not the OTR price so much. Probably pushing my luck in asking for the Exec model, but will almost certainly be allowed the Sport...so just looking forward to taking delivery now!

Would like to say thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread!

Cheers

Andy

A good choice and I am sure you will be very happy. As I wrote in another thread, the Accord diesel is the quietest four cylinder diesel that I have experienced.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - quizman
I hope you enjoy the Honda, I have read somewhere that they are a bit unreliable, but I am sure that this is not true.

Please let us know how you get on with it, and tell us if you would really have prefered the Passat.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Adam {P}
I must say, I like the new Passat but I think the Accord looks far nicer.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Pezzer
Andy, good choice - I very nearly did the same but didnt want something as big. My only dislike was the dashboard which I found a bit bland. I would have had the Exec on the 17inch wheels (not sure what the Sport comes with probably the same) however I did find that the wider wheels caused some pretty bad tramlining. Others here have recommended the standard wheels for this reason.

P
Being in the same boat, I to am deeply disapointed with the new passat. It look fabulous from the outside, but is very expensive, lacking in goodies, and frankly the skoda octavia beats it hands down inside,
--
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - Bill Payer
Well, I've finally put an order in....for a Honda Accord i-CDTi.

It's a good choice from a company car tax point of view because its CO2 is low. But, do you get free fuel? Apparently they often don't achieve anything like the claimed MPG.
New Company Car Time! Thoughts? - catsdad
Good choice - I have had mine for 6 months averages c 45mpg at 8000 miles. I too have read about fuel consumption issues but part of it might be the sheer joy of flooring it when I suspect it does drink a bit! One niggle I do get is on these frosty mornings, its the first car I've had where the window rubbers don't clean the glass when you open them and the blind spot at the A pillar is bit big again when the forst is piled up by the wiper. Soon get used to it - and the heated seats help too!