Battery loosing its charge - Renault 19 - dodo
We keep an old Renault 19 (95) for occasional use. We have put in a new battery some weeks ago butv it still looses its charge within 24 hours. I have checked for bootlight/glovebox light etc but to no avail. Any ideas?Thanks
Battery loosing its charge - cavi
could be a faulty earth
Battery losing its charge - sierraman
It would have to be something fairly hefty to discharge a battery in 24 hrs,have you tried leaving it disconnected?If it still loses charge you have a duff battery.
Battery losing its charge - Galaxy
I had a problem like this many years ago.

Turned out to be a faulty horn. Since one side of the horn was permanently connected to the (Plus) of the battery, and there was an internal short inside the horn (no, it didn't sound!), it was drawing a current of about 3 amps continuously, even with the ignition switched off.

I went out and bought a brand new battery, only for this to immediately share the same fat as the old one!

Might be well worth checking.

By the way, I've just found this website doesn't accept the (Plus) Character! I've just tried using it in this message and it just disappears. ++++++++++++++++
Battery losing its charge - Galaxy
Now the +++++++ are back!

They just disappear in "Preview". Very odd!
Battery losing its charge - Collos25
Put an meter in line with the pos and with everthing switched of read what if any current is being taken .It should read zero or near enough allowing for the alarm.
Battery losing its charge - Peter D
This could also be a faulty alternator diode pack and it is drawing current. Measure the current in either the pos or neg connection to the battery with an amp meter. If you do not have one and a battery dies in 24 hrs then if you disconnect one terminal and use a 5/6w side light bulb make the circuit and it lights up then you are drawing current somewhere. Try disconnecting the alternator and repeat test. It that is not the problem pull fuses one by one until you find the circuit that is pulling the current. Common ones are radio, electric locks and aerial and ECU but I think your car is a a carb version non ECU. Report back. Regards Peter
Battery losing its charge - dodo
Alternator diode it is. Secondhand alternator £15 from scrappy. Thanks - thats why this forum IS THE BEST!