Urgent insurance advice please - Purbs
Hello all,

I took delivery of my Mk3 MX-5 LE last Thursday and have been using Mazda's 7-day free insurance since. I currently have a policy through the AA which is paid for up until April (at which point I'll have 5 years' no claims), but they've been really crap at getting me a quote for my new 5.

So far they've been able to find only one insurer (Norwich Union) with a quote of >£1400 and keep saying 'that car's not released yet' etc. as an excuse as to why they can only offer this single prohibitive quote. Even if I was to take up this policy I would have to cancel my current one (obviously at a disproportionate loss) and thus my 5 years' NCD would be delayed until next November instead of April as they do not carry months over between insurers.

Where do I stand here? I guess they've probably got me over a barrel, but it's not as if I'm trying to insure anything weird or outrageously powerful (I'm 25 yo, with 4 years' NCD and clean license). I'm going to try and speak to a manager tomorrow and see if they can pull their fingers out, but I need to get this sorted by Thursday.

Your advice is greatly appreciated,

RP.

*FYI Mazda insurance quote ~ £880 / Top-spec Mk2.5 valued at £20k ~ £700 on AA site
Urgent insurance advice please - Purbs
Elephant £784.30
Urgent insurance advice please - Ian D
Try Liverpool Victoria Frizzell on 0800 748 748, they have always been good for me
Urgent insurance advice please - L'escargot
Try CIS.

www,cis.co.uk

Good quality cover. No hysterics about anything. Everything straightforward and above board.
--
L'escargot.
Urgent insurance advice please - horatio
I found CIS to be a nightmare. You have a local sales rep who knocks on your door in person to collect the premium, and sort out the paperwork. Very dark ages in this world of computers and credit cards that we live in.

Maybe it's all changed now.

I can't quite remember but I think I remember when something went wrong and we needed to claim or phone up to sort something out:

We phoned the nearest branch who told us to phone our local rep:

Who never answered his phone, always answerphone, phoned back branch given mobile number!! (expensive) no answer, phoned back branch and asked why the heck they couldn't deal with it!
Urgent insurance advice please - L'escargot
I found CIS to be a nightmare.
Maybe it's all changed now.

I've been with CIS for 40 years with no problems. I renew my policy by post, and have done so for yonks. The last time I moved house I kept the same agent, so he's now 80 miles away ~ and still no problems.

--
L\'escargot.
Urgent insurance advice please - martint123
AON are the brokers for the MX5 owners group (sorry, no contact details to hand).
Try a message on the MX5 yahoo groups?
autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mx-5/
Urgent insurance advice please - horatio
Your best advice as others have suggested is to phone around and do online quotes too. Use the quote checking services:

www.confused.com

www.insuresupermarket.com/motor/default.asp

I'm sure that you will find someone able to beat the AA, in all my years of motoring AA have NEVER NEVER EVER been any where near the cheapest. And ask AA how much refund you will get on your existing policy if you cancel.

Make sure you try Tesco and Nationwide online.
Urgent insurance advice please - ukbeefy
Also look at any insurance offers available via an affinity groups you belong to eg trade union, staff association, football club/charitable membership...

I once got incredibly cheap home insurance via a flyer that fell out of an MBNA credit card statement.

Is your current insurer refusing to carry on cover on your new vehicle until at least renewal?