Rear wiper - Chris H
The rear screen wiper on my Nova has lost its self-parking action and stops randomly anywhere on the screen. I don't know how it works. Is this likely to be fixable or does it mean a new motor?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Re: Rear wiper - Mark (Brazil)
does it stop as soon as you switch it off ?

On an old car of mine there were effectively two circuits. One which drove it to & fro across the screen and one which completed the circle at the "park" end.

When the wipers were switched off, it just switched the part of the circuit at park, off.

Anyway, I had a broken wire only. Mind you, this was the front wipers on a Minx, so perhaps of limited value.
Re: Rear wiper - Jonathan
This has happened on my front wipers only on intermittent.

I asked the dealers and they said it needs a new control unit.

So I just flick the wipers to normal wipe and manage.

£160 indeed!
Re: Rear wiper - Nicholas Moore
Yes - had the same problem on my 1990 Rover 214. Front wipers would not autopark because the intermittent function was broken. Found it distracting trying to turn the wipers off in the parked position whilst driving so had the motor replaced (pretty cheap).
Re: Rear wiper - markymarkn
Chris,

You'll probably be able to pick up the entire motor/mechanism/control unit kit from the scrappers for about 20 quid (If your honest).

Just try replacing parts - look in the Haynes Manual!

M.
Re: Rear wiper - Rob
I'd put money on a wire being broken - my experience accords with M(B). Check where they flex at the tailgate. If you buy another mechanism, plug it in and discover the same symptoms, it's probably this and you'll kick yourself very hard.

Rob
Re: Rear wiper - Marcus
Check the Relay - I had this exact problem on an old VW Scirocco MK 1 and a replacement relay cured it.

These are found under your dashboard I think. My mother had a D reg Nova 1.2 merit when I was learning to drive - it would rev forever and get to 70 in second gear. ( sorry mum ) its a shame they replaced it with the foul looking Corsa.
70 in second - I think not! - John S
I make that about 8,500 revs Marcus. So far over the peak of the power curve output is damn all, if it held together. I'd get that speedo checked!

Regards

John
Re: 70 in second - I think not! - Dan J
You're both kind of right :o)

Many Novas (certainly around the B/C regish mark) were fitted with speedos which were incorrectly geared and overread quite substantially. Friend of mine had a 1.2 Nova which he also claimed would do 70 in second.

B*ll**s we said but sure enough it appeared to be the case except at a later point when we were all travelling in convoy along the motorway, he asked us why we were all going so fast when we arrived at our destination. We were doing 75-80ish and he thought we were doing 90!

Turned out to be a common problem according to Mr Vauxhall garage...

All the best!

Dan J
Re: 70 in second - I think not! - John S
Dan

Thanks for that - total lack of mechanical sympathy plus optimistic speedo = 70 in second!

Much as I thought. Didn't your pal ever wonder why his Nova was apparently so rapid on 45 bhp?

Reminds me of a guy at work with a 1.6 Rover of the same vintage that had exactly the same problem - an apparent ability to cruise happily at an indicated 110. Much to his annoyance the car didn't have the wrong engine, just the wrong speedo gear.

regards

John
Re: 70 in second - I think not! - ladas are slow
vauxxhall novas can hardly do 17mph in second (i owned a 1.0 which i bought from auction, but it broke down a week later)
Boy racer taming - Lee H
This is an excellent idea for the Nova/Corsa backwards baseball cap brigade.

Don't fit extra lights / silly fuel cap covers / KENWOOD stickers.

No, play with the speedo cable and see your mates stare in disbelief as you scorch up to _an indicated 130_.

Best bit is they'll only be doing 60, and so everyone is happy.

Brilliant.

Lee.
Re: Boy racer taming - ian (cape town)
Excellent idea
I know of some local morons, who after a night on the pop, decided to see whose car was fastest.
what did they do? Hammered it down a KNOWN speed camera road, and waited until the pictures arrived...
I kid you not...