Thinking of Changing My Car - Robbie
I'm thinking seriously of getting shut of my Accord Tourer for a New Vectra 1.9 150 ps Estate.

I have always been a Vauxhall fan and the Accord was my first non-Vauxhall in twenty-five years. However, I have had more problems with my Accord in 18 months than I had with my Omega in nine years. The electric tailgate is still giving problems and it's a day's journey to take it to the dealer - that's a slight exaggeration - but dealers are few and far apart. In France it's 45 miles to the nearest Honda dealer. Granted, the problems have not been major, but they are niggly. Coupled with the exorbitant charges for services - almost £200 for the first service, which was basically an oil change.

Anyone care to comment?

Thinking of Changing My Car - Avant
I hesitate, because it's become a standing joke on this forum - but a Mondeo TDCI really is a possible alternative, and you might like to try one as well as the Vectra and see which you prefer. (NB - a small but potsntially annoying point: some people can't live with the Vauxhall indicator switch; others get used to it.)
Thinking of Changing My Car - midlifecrisis
I've had a Vectra for nine months now. No problems whatsoever. Utterly relaxing to drive (and mine's got vx 19" alloys on it). The leather seats are very comfy and I am averaging 37mpg from my 2.2 direct. You learn to live with the indicators rather than get used to them.
Just make sure you get a nearly new one, depreciation is predictably poor.
I wouldn't dream of having a Ford. I've been buying new Vauxhalls - except for my present Accord - for over twenty-five years and I've had excellent service from Vauxhall themselves. If I ever had a problem they had a team of technical advisers whom you could contact by 'phone, and they would sort out any problems. The only Vauxhall I had problems with was my Calibra, and Vauxhall were great - pity the car was lousy. Honda only have a customer services section who, although very polite and pleasant, have no technical expertise and relay any message to some faceless individual. However, Honda showrooms are much "posher" than Vauxhalls.

I'm aiming for the New Vectra. I received the brochure from Vauxhall yesterday but I'm not sure if it's in the showrooms yet.
Thinking of Changing My Car - Dynamic Dave
I'm aiming for the New Vectra. I received the brochure
from Vauxhall yesterday but I'm not sure if it's in the
showrooms yet.

I've seen several face lift Vectra's on the road already which insicates they're already being sold. Much better looking front end on it, IMHO.

www.germancarfans.com/news/2050615.001/2050615.001...g
Thinking of Changing My Car - Gromit {P}
Robbie,
If the distance to your dealer is an issue, check there's an Opel dealer or independent near you in France (you said the nearest Honda dealer is 45 miles away in France).

Girlfriend's old Vectra was broken into on holidays in Brittany two years ago - it took a week to get a replacement side glass, even though the workshop was full of ready-to-fit stock...for French cars! To be honest, working on a Vectra seemed a novelty to the fitter...
Robbie,
If the distance to your dealer is an issue, check there's
an Opel dealer or independent near you in France (you said
the nearest Honda dealer is 45 miles away in France).

There is an Opel dealer just a stone's throw away in France, and the nearest Vauxhall dealer here is only about five or six miles distant.

Incidentally, I had my nearside door mirror damaged whilst in France, and the Honda dealer got a replacement lens and mirror the following day.
Thinking of Changing My Car - cheddar
Robbie, you say that there is no way you would consider a Ford, you are clearly loyal to Vauxhall however I always think an open mind is wise when buying a new car, motorcycle or any significant purchase.

I had three Vauxhall's in a row (company cars) and while I was quite fond of the last one, a Vectra V6 SRi estate, the dealers were absolutely dire compared to the v-good service I have had from two Ford dealers over the last 3.5 years. Yes, the new Vectra is a nice car and the petrol engines are very sweet though even the 150 CDTi will feel gutless at low revs compared to the Honda (how about a 3.0 CDTi?), converesly the 130 Mondeo is every bit as punchy at low revs as the Honda if not more so. Also it has to be said, the Mondeo is simply nicer to drive if you enjoy a responsive car and having fun around the back roads, on the other hand if a plush ride is more important to you than chassis response then the Vectra or Accord might suit better or go the whole hog and get a C5.
You can't be serious about a C5? Wouldn't even consider it.

I've had excellent service from my Vauxhall dealer, and they serviced my Omega, and all of my previous Vauxhalls. The only reason I changed to a Honda was because Vauxhall were tardy in bringing out their new range of diesel engines. From what I'd read and heard the old 2.0 litre and 2.2 litre diesel engines were showing their age, and the Fiat JTD engines were highly regarded. My Omega was nine years old and I didn't want to wait any longer for a replacement, so I went for the diesel Accord. I don't dislike the car - it's nice to drive and very comfortable - but it hasn't lived up to its reputation. It isn't as economical as Honda would have you believe and it's had a number of niggling faults. A thirty five mile round trip to the dealer hasn't helped either.
Thinking of Changing My Car - Mondaywoe
"You can't be serious about a C5?"

Well...erm....asamatteroffact.....

Graeme (AKA McEnroe - you can nooooot be seeerious!)

:-)

Thinking of Changing My Car - cheddar
You can't be serious about a C5? Wouldn't even consider
it.

C5, nor would I, just was not sure what was important to you, all I can say is that IME Ford dealers are light years ahead of Vauxhall dealers and it shows in the stats from the likes of Which etc.
Thinking of Changing My Car - Quinny100
Buy the Vectra - you're obviously not happy with the Honda, you won't consider anything else and lifes too short to be unhappy with niggling faults if you can afford something else.
Thinking of Changing My Car - wjh
Are all Vauxhall indicators the same as a new Corsa - that thing still irritates me after 2 years.
Thinking of Changing My Car - Xileno {P}
You can't be serious about a C5? Wouldn't even consider
it.

It was the early ones that suffered from problems, the later ones are fine cars. Ideal for a nice relaxed drive to France, you could get it serviced there and save money. Plenty of dealers around of course. 2.2HDi estate would be the one. No?
>> You can't be serious about a C5? Wouldn't even
consider
>> it.
It was the early ones that suffered from problems, the later
ones are fine cars. Ideal for a nice relaxed drive to
France, you could get it serviced there and save money. Plenty
of dealers around of course. 2.2HDi estate would be the one.
No?

Non, merci.
Thinking of Changing My Car - mare
Out of curiousoty: you're in France right? And there's a Vauxhall garage in France?
No, I'm not in France at the moment. I have a holiday home in France and I spend five or six months a year there. There is an Opel dealer not far from where I live in France, and a Vauxhall dealer about five or six miles away from where I live in the UK.
Thinking of Changing My Car - mare
No, I'm not in France at the moment. I have
a holiday home in France and I spend five or six
months a year there. There is an Opel dealer not
far from where I live in France, and a Vauxhall dealer
about five or six miles away from where I live in
the UK.

Thanks, i was gettting splinters from scratching my head trying to work that one out.
Thinking of Changing My Car - tyro
Robbie
Off the subject slightly, but what do you think of visiblity in the Accord Tourer? I've heard it's not good, and the windows do look a little small.
Robbie
Off the subject slightly, but what do you think of visiblity
in the Accord Tourer? I've heard it's not good, and
the windows do look a little small.

The front pillars are quite thick and affect visibility. Indeed, I nearly hit a dark blue Ford Focus when I was exiting Makro the other day - I was barely moving. Granted it was overcast and quite dull, but the car was turning right and entering the store. I just did not see him until the last moment. Reversing is not so easy as you can't see to the rear, but I guess this is the same with most estates.