Is it OK to drive weak clutch? Golf mk4 - perleman
Hi, I've got a Golf mark 4 GTI 1.8T.

My clutch is 'weak' aparantly, it's very hard to get it into 1st and reverse (physically it's very stiff). I'm wondering if I should be not driving the car before I get the new clutch fitted in case it damages something else like the gearbox or something?

It drives fine apart from this and changing between other gears is OK too...

Any opinions welcomed apart from 'you should have bought a Honda' etc!

Thanks
Is it OK to drive weak clutch? - Aprilia
Can you clarify what you mean?

Is the pedal stiff or heavy?

How is it difficult to get into 1st (is the lever hard to push or does it crunch).

Generally a 'weak' clutch is one that slips.
Is it OK to drive weak clutch? - perleman
There's zero clutch slip, it's just very physically hard to push the lever into 1st and it does crunch a little going into reverse. VW dealership diagnosed clutch issues and submitted "weak clutch" to warranty company to help my chances of getting it paid for (they offered to pay for all but £120 of it last week). I'm wondering if I should use the car now or not though, any thoughts?
Pedal is no different to usual BTW - are you thinking it might be something else like the gearbox? (judder)
Is it OK to drive weak clutch? - Aprilia
Bite their hand off and get it into the workshop ASAP!

Sounds a bit like clutch drag actually. Could be damage to the clutch or a fault in the actuating mechanism. I doubt driving it will cause any more harm.
Cool, thanks for the advice.
Is it OK to drive weak clutch? - Roberson
Is it cable or hydraulically activated?

Ifs it?s done by cable, it could just need adjusting.

As for reverse, it?s a trait of some gearboxes (like my polo?s) to grate when going in. Tip: depress and hold the clutch for a few seconds before attempting to put into reverse. Of course, this won?t help the problem with first. Try putting into second and then into first while at rest(used to work on old BL stuff)

As you can probably tell, I?m not that knowledgeable about clutches and gearboxes.