Xantia Estate - Mark (Brazil)
As well as having to drive a Fiat in Sao Paulo later this week, I am also being punished in Rio.

Since I broke yet another car, they have given me a Xantia Estate to use, as I mentioned, in Spanish, last week.. Its actually quite nice, but....

What's the method with this suspension thingy ? I assume that I shouldn't use max or min height. However, there are two other settings in the middle. When should I use one or the other ? Can I change it while driving along, or do I have to stop to alter it ?

Why doesn't it have one of those keypad thingies like my sister's does ?

Why does it have "controle" written across the dash ?

Why is the handbrake underneath the armrest ?

What's with those weird little pockety things on the door ? It looks like the normal handle for closing the door, but it opens into a really thin pocket which I can't even get my hand inside.

The temperature of the aircon seems sensitive to the engine revs - i.e. at tick-over in traffic its not very cold, but driving along its fine. Should I worry ? I'm likely to have the car for about 4 weeks, so if it won't break in that time, I don't care.

Since I drove it, and parked it, for the first time last night, why don't they tell you not to park it with the front too close to the kerb since when the suspension settles it gets marooned.

David ???????
Re: Xantia Estate - Brill
"L.E.J.M.", asuming they gave you one.

El Stu.
RTFM? - ian (cape town)
I once asked what this meant, and was told.
So I spent 3 days reading the kama sutra, but learnt nothing about fixing my engine.
Re: RTFM? - ChrisR
Mark

The lower and upper settings are "workshop" settings - no damping, so don't drive it far or fast. Watch out for parking it side on to a high kerb as well, or you won't get the doors open. This must be an old-ish one, or a very basic one, though - the later models don't sink.

You *can* change between the two middle settings on the move, but be careful you don't inadvertently select top or bottom. The upper middle one is good for rough tracks, snow, and minor floods - same ground clearance as a Freelander! It handles like a Freelander on that setting on the road as well.

I predict it's only a matter of time before you won't want to see it go.

Can't answer your other questions - never been in a Xantia.

Chris
Re: RTFM? - David W
Mark,

>What's the method with this suspension thingy ? I assume that I shouldn't use max or min height. However, there are two other settings in the middle. When should I use one or the other ? Can I change it while driving along, or do I have to stop to alter it ?

Use the lower (forward posn) of the two middle ones for road driving, the slightly higher posn is often poorly set and may well jack one/both ends to near max. You'll need new fillings over 10mph if that happens.

>Why doesn't it have one of those keypad thingies like my sister's does ?

Perhaps not fitted in all markets, my early one hasn't.

>Why does it have "controle" written across the dash ?

To remind you to to be in it at all times?

Why is the handbrake underneath the armrest ?

Mine isn't but better than in the boot.

>What's with those weird little pockety things on the door ?

South American market only, bribe stash.

>The temperature of the aircon seems sensitive to the engine revs - i.e. at tick-over in traffic its not very cold, but driving along its fine. Should I worry ?

No.

>Since I drove it, and parked it, for the first time last night, why don't they tell you not to park it with the front too close to the kerb since when the suspension settles it gets marooned.

Sounds like you have a early model or a later one with a fault. Most Xantias have grounding marks underneath. Sleeping cats at risk too.

Enjoy!

David
Re: RTFM? - Mark (Brazil)
Intersting that two people should say it is older/basic.

It is actually 4 months old (ish) and supposed to be top of the range. Certainly there are no blanked off buttons, and everything does something. (btw, the heated rear window on the end of the windscreen wiper stalk - what's that about ?

Leather seats, heated, CD Changed, lights everywhere, electric controlled & heated seats, and every other extra I could think of, without any satellite stuff.

I didn't even know you could get one with leather seats, although it doesn't seem like very good leather.

It does sink though, not like a GS Club I had 25 years ago, but it definitely does sink.

Although, having been down to the carpark and checked, it was on the higher of the two "normal" settings. I also thought the front felt high and have now reduced the setting to the lower one. I haven't had a chance to drive it like this though.

Also, for reasons which escape me, its bullet proofed - reinforced glass with plastic fil in it, and kevlar packed doors.

I'm not sure whether this is because I'm seriously important, because I'm seen as rich, because I hang around in dodgy areas with strange people, or [more likely] because everybody hates me and wants to shoot me - I do know that the car weighs a bloody ton.

M.
& BTW, NFM2R.
Re: RTFM? - ChrisR
Mark

If you had a GS Club, then presumably you know the "changing a wheel" drill? Top setting, jack under, wheel off, new wheel on, jack out, and back to normal. Just in case.

Chris
Re: RTFM? - Darcy Kitchin
"Also, for reasons which escape me, its bullet proofed - reinforced glass with plastic fil in it, and kevlar packed doors."

Perhaps that's why it sinks, overweight. Maybe there's something else hidden away too, a la French Connection.
Re: RTFM? - Brill
"NFM2R"

¡ Qué pena... !
Brill wrote:
>
> "NFM2R"
>
> ¡ Qué pena... !

es verdade.
It actually goes back to a group of gringos who arrived here a couple of years ago. They were so paranoid about living here what with kidnapping and shootings, that they had the idea it was neccessary.

Its not. Ok, Rio & Sao Paulo are dangerous, but they`re not a war zone. I suspect that this car is a hang over from that earlier paranoia.