North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Adam {P}
**** This thread locked. Details of location and meet up time here:- ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36440

Espada left it in my charge and I clean forgot whilst he was away!

So...fair warning. We'll definitely be having a Christmas meet but it's open to suggestions as to when and where we have it. This guarantees that everyone who could come, *should* be able to.

Feel free to post your suggestions for both the venue and the day we have it and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Adam
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Stuartli
A well known holiday resort beginning with S...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Happy Blue!
Just to let you know that mid week is better for me and not 15th Dec - taking my staff away for the day for the Christmas 'do'.

Can we find somewhere just off the M6 - maybe Standish (J27?) which has a hotel, bar, restaurant called The Beeches which may be handy?

Lets keep some suggestions coming and and review in two weeks, and leave it to Adam to make a final decision as to date and venue, otherwise we'll be like dogs chasing our tails.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Robbie
What about Ormskirk, or even St Helens?
Not a St Helens lad are you Robbie?
Ormskirk is a bit off the track for easy access, but St Helens is OK I wold have though - any ideas of venue?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
That's the problem. Much as it's my home town and I love it, I can't think of anywhere even remotely interesting to go to.
Whoops - "should love it" I don't love it as there's nothing there!
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Altea Ego
So which one of you uncouth northerners is going to wear the red suite with white fur trimmings?

Never liked tripe and black pudding with my Turkey.
Well Mike's already got the tash so that gives him a head start...
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - blue_haddock
Don't go too far north - don't forget about us 'southerners!"

What about the Swan Inn on the A556 near Knutsford - close to the M6 and the M56
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - AlastairW
Knutsford sounds like a good idea. Midweek also best for me.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - NowWheels
So which one of you uncouth northerners is going to wear
the red suite with white fur trimmings?

if it has to be a suite, I think Adam should wear the sofa ...
Not a St Helens lad are you Robbie?

Not at all, but it's easy to get to and plenty of parking.

There are lots of pubs, and fancy new bars seem to be opening every week.
There are lots of pubs, and fancy new bars seem to
be opening every week.

Having visited a 'fancy' bar for the last meet i don't think we'll be in a rush to visit one again.
The Swan at Bucklow Hill on A556 between M6 (J19) and M56 is very handy. I think there may be something better off J21 of M6 near the A57 to the east of Warrington.

I'll have a look.
--
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - David Horn
How 'bout Leeds? Admittedly, it's a stretch on the words "North West", but still...
>>it's a stretch on the words "North West", >>

It's not even IN the North West...:-)

We tried to include the Yorkshire crowd in the last BR NW meet, but no-one showed much interest coming over the Pennines even as far as north Manchester, so we relocated to Sale.

Unless there is a huge demand from Yorkshire people, would suggest that we keep it to the west of Manchester, and near to the M6 for the staffordshire crowd, (which is more north west than Yorkshire!)
--
We tried to include the Yorkshire crowd in the last BR
NW meet, but no-one showed much interest coming over the
Pennines even as far as north Manchester,

You made the mistake of making it self funding.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Citroënian {P}
>>but no-one showed

I'm a definitely not a Yorkshireman but recall passing the "Welcome to Yorkshire" sign five minutes before getting home.... ;-) at least 16.5% of the attendees came from Yorkshire...

I'm easy really. Don't much want to end up driving to Crewe but anything within half an hour of Manchester would be OK with me.

--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
>>it's a stretch on the words "North West", >>
It's not even IN the North West...:-)

A mere technicality.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Avant
20 posts and still counting......
And how many people actually turned up for the southern meet????
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - R75
And how many people actually turned up for the southern meet????

As the saying goes "It's the thought that counts" ;o)
Two wasn't it and one person who could find the front door......

--
But you have to remember that us Southerners work harder and longer hours then you Northerners, so we have less social time to dispose of. If we were like you beer swilling, pie eating lot then the countries economy would grind to a hault.

< >
If we were like you beer swilling, pie eating lot then the countries economy would grind to a hault.

Or from a better educated northener "If we were like you beer swilling, pie eating lot then the country's economy would grind to a halt".....

There is a reason why we are so relaxed up here, we leave all you southeners to do the work and we benefit! Who's looking silly now!?

--
My education was fine, just my spelling that has problems with my memory at times!!!!!

Oh, we don't look silly, we are just happy to be providing a public service to those less fortunate then ourselves. ;o)
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Dynamic Dave
Rather than arguing between yourselves as to who turned up for whatever meeting and who didn't, how about being constructive and encouraging people to turn up to this latest one?

DD.
SpoilSport.
Gentleman gentleman. Let's calm down.

Right - it's perfectly obvious we're not going to please everyone but I'm forced to agree with Espada - Leeds is probably a little far to have the meeting even though it would make it easy on Lee and David. That being said, I remember Lee saying it wasn't too bad to get here last time I think.

It's pretty easy for me with regards to all the suggestions so far. St Helens is 5 minutes down the road as is the M6 so all the suggestions (barring Leeds!) are still in the running.

Just a request for Robbie though, I'm racking my brains and I can't think of anywhere decent in St Helens that I'd like to show my fellow BR's. Were you thinking of anywhere in particular?

I think it's also agreed that it's best to have it somewhere pub like that does good food. Yes?

We'll leave it a couple of days and see what the general consensus is and who's likely to turn up and then we'll decide on
something definite.

Cheers,

Adam
P.S. If anyone's stuck for transport, check the Classifieds for a bargain of a car ;-)
Adam, I didn't have anywhere in mind in St Helens as I don't know it that well, except that I bought my last Omega there, from Lookers, who serviced for nine years. Now I frequent Southport with my Honda Accord.

There is a pub on the East Lancs Road, near the turn for Rainford, I think it's the Royal Oak, or it used to be called that. It's very easy to get to for most people, I should think.
Down the A580 from Manchester, and off the M57 at the A580 for those coming from the M6, M62. Not far from the M58 for those coming off the M6 from the north.

Isn't that a Pizza place now? I'm sure Espada checked it out for the last meet.

The one by Prescot?
Isn't that a Pizza place now? I'm sure Espada checked it
out for the last meet.
The one by Prescot?

No, it's not a pizza place. It's a fair way from Prescot and is on the A580 just down the road from Windle Island. Don't know why it's still called Windle Island as it was replaced by traffic lights when I was a kid.
Given its all motorway - its not a bad location. Would someone local like to check it out?
--
Sorry Robbie- I meant the turn off for Prescot.

It's only around 15 minutes away from my house so I'll check it out on the way home from Uni tomorrow.
Sorry Robbie- I meant the turn off for Prescot.
It's only around 15 minutes away from my house so I'll
check it out on the way home from Uni tomorrow.

Yes, it's just around the corner from Catchdale Moss Lane on the A580 travelling towards Liverpool.
I do hope it's a good place. I drive past every day - my mate lives just off Crank Road and my other mate lives just off Houghtons Lane!

The cops seems to like setting up on the Blue Bridge so if anyone's about there, keep watch. Especially with the lowered limit now.

I do hope it's a good place. I drive past every
day - my mate lives just off Crank Road and my
other mate lives just off Houghtons Lane!

I suggest you pop in. It's quite a few years since I was there.

Amazingly, I did a Google search and found this,
www.goodpubrestaurants.co.uk/show_restaurant.tpl?r...3
Two meals for the price of one? That's me sorted then ;-)
Will they do four meals for the price of two?....
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Not sure if this URL will fit. I looked up the location on Via Michelin.

snipurl.com/jbxh {Link shortened by DD}

I don't know how you do the tiny url thing.
In order to locate Catchdale Moss Lane you need to click on the arrow on the right and move the map until you get past Coach Road and then zoom out. The Royal Oak is located between Blindfoot Lane and Catchdale Moss Lane.

Hope that's clear.
If you don't mind me asking Robbie, whereabouts do you live?
If you don't mind me asking Robbie, whereabouts do you live?

Check your e.mail.
Checking...
I don't know how you do the tiny url thing.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33877
Four meals for the price of two Lee? Now that's tempting.

If this place checks out, and we agree to have it there then those people who live a fair way away fear not. I don't mind waiting somewhere nearer to a motorway and then you following me to the place. It seems only fair seeing as I could almost get a bus there!

I think it's my civic duty to have lunch there tomorrow and test the quality of the food.

>>I think it's my civic duty to have lunch there tomorrow and test the quality of the food

Or two....

If we can get the postcode, I'm sure anyone with SatNav will be able to find it, albeit after having driven down several tracks "Not suitable for motors"...
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - AlastairW
Remember, even if satnav is cheap, we don't all have it. I can follow a map though,and own a Liverpool AtoZ, so should be able to find this place, if it it is considered suitable by our food critic.
The offer of "pace car" is there for anyone who wants it.

I really really want an excuse to stick some amber lights on top of my car ;-)

I'll test the beer whilst I'm there too. No no - don't worry about it. It's not a problem.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - PhilW
I live 100 miles away, and am only reading the thread out of interest (yes, I should get out more), but in answer to previous 2 posts, the postcode and a detailed map are on the website, link to which is posted above, by Robbie I think
Phil
I think you should come along Phil.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - PhilW
Well, you never know - MiL is a Merseysider and we always visit at Christmastime, so on the way back??? SWMBO could drive and I could enjoy a couple of pints and, quote,
"Whole Steak & Ale Pie
Go on, have the whole pie! Pieces of prime British steak cooked until tender in a rich ale gravy. Served with your very own jug of gravy."
sounds tempting

Phil
I always thought that the Midlands was the prime location for such (enormous) pies...:-)
Denby Dale. Their road signs all say home of the world's largest pies - it's near Wakefield but as often as I've been through there, I've yet to see a huge pie...
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Remember, even if satnav is cheap, we don't all have it.
I can follow a map though,and own a Liverpool AtoZ,
so should be able to find this place, if it it
is considered suitable by our food critic.

The Royal Oak is easy to find. It is on the A580 at Eccleston and you can exit the M57 at the A580 and proceed in an easterly direction. The Royal Oak is about 2 miles further on.

You can take the A580 from Manchester, and also exit the M62 at the A580, and proceed in a westerly direction towards St Helens. The venue is about 2 miles form Windle traffic lights on the same side of the road.

You do not have to drive through any side streets to find the place. Unless of course you live in St Helens, when you will have to traverse the innumerable road works which seem to blight the town.
>>It is on the A580 at Eccleston>>

I foresee some fun. There's an Eccleston near Chorley (and many others around the UK)..:-)
Four meals for the price of two Lee? Now that's tempting.

I think it's my civic duty to have lunch there tomorrow
and test the quality of the food.

I wonder if Adam has rather overindulged this lunchtime?

No posts for a while so he's obviously sleeping off his two meals.
>>I don't know how you do the tiny url thing.>>

Go to TinyURL.Com
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - kennybase
Two for One!!! Whole Steak Pie...

I'd be tempted to drive up from Brighton for it :-p

I'm guessing 'Up Norf' isn't too far - I mean - it only takes about half an hour to reach the M25... ;-)
Kenny dont do it mate. They fix old shower heads to the bar taps to make the beer frothy...Unspeakable things happen up north
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - borasport20
Wotcher boys - back in the land of the living.

mon/tue/weds evenings are always good for me.

Hopefully Adam can find somewhere that can accomodate those who want to eat and those who don't ;-)

Hi,

I went to the Royal Oak before. The East Lancs is undergoing extensive roadworks until June which slowed things down a bit.

It was all looking good until I rounded the corner and saw a wacky warehouse attached to it.

Now I know Lee likes ball pools but I just don't think the rest of us would.

What does everyone think?
What was the meal like?

Wacky Warehouses are for kids, you're not thinking of using it are you? In any case they are separate from the bar/eating area.

Never got chance to have a meal. I've only just got in from uni so I swung by, parked up and popped my head round. The main part of the place seemed alright but at 4:30 it's difficult to tell what it would normally like at night.

Do you happen to know if they accept Luncheon Vouchers?
In the evening there won't be any kids about.
I have a number of books of these which I'd like to use up.

Just think, I could have two meals for the price of a couple of vouchers.
Do you know what they are doing on the Lancs? It's not that long since they had the road up. I read they were going to put a roundabout up at the junction with Blindfoot Lane because of the number of accidents there..
The other day I would have said they were extending the barriers so you couldn't turn right onto it. (Which to be fair, is pretty deadly when coming out of Catchdale Moss Lane) but there's no way that would take till June and the works extend all the way up to Kirkby.

However, Blindfoot lane is closed so you have to ask yourself why they'd close that if they were just stopping right turns. Your roundabout theory could be right.

In other words, I don't know!
Not sure if that's sarcasm so I'll err on the side of caution.

No I don't know I'm afraid.
>>...ball pools...

Well I'm easy.. If there's a square meal (or four) in it for me, I'm up for most things. Perhaps better play in the warehouse before the third steak pie though, don't want to get banned for "fluidising" the ball pool.

--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
Tell you what then, before the weekend I'll go in and have a proper meal and test the water.

If it passes the Littler test, it's in the running.

Naturally I'll have to test everyone's suggestions. Can I put it on the BR Expense Account?
Of course. I'm sure HJ will foot the bill.....
--
No news from Adam.

Wonder if it's because he couldn't cope with those "two meals for the price of one" and the concomitant drinks?
I'm still doing my regional checks!

I've heard good things about a certain pub not a million miles away from the M6 and it's only fair I check it out on Friday.

"No news from Adam.

Wonder if it's because he couldn't cope with those "two meals for the price of one" and the concomitant drinks?"

Forget concomitant - try comatose
--
Leeds
Hmmm my last geography lesson was in 1978, but even I know Leeds is in Yorkshire and Yorkshire is not the North West.
--
If you squint at the map...
...whilst standing on one leg and tilting it upside down...

Nope - still not happening.
I know what you're all thinking. I've forgotten all about it. Well you're wrong. This past week, I've embarked on the arduous task of dining at....I mean testing, the fine eateries in the St Helens area.

(Nearly all on the East Lancs).

I'm here to report my findings.

The Waterside. A pleasant surprise. Decent food, fairly big and a pretty good atmosphere. On the East Lancs Road so very easy to get to.

The Royal Oak. Again pretty decent despite the Wacky Warehouse. Again, on the East Lancs Road.

The Carr Mill - Unsurprisngly, this is on the East Lancs Road too. Despite me driving past it nearly every day, I'd never been before. Great food - the Chicken and Bacon Pie gets a hearty thumbs up from me. It's a bit more traditional pub though and was full of a lot of old gentlman - even at midday.

I have been told that The Fox, and the Priory Wood in Wigan are very good. The Priory Wood looks very posh from the outside but is literally 30 seconds off the M6. The Fox is meant to be very good too and is literally minutes away from the M6.

I'll try these (or perhaps just pop my head in - it's costing me a fortune!) over the weekend but unless anyone can suggest anywhere else, it'll almost certainly be one of the above. I feel a bit mean because they're very close to my house!

Like I said, feel free to suggest somewhere and I'll more than happily try it out. It's only fair.
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Avant
Well, you should have decided by Christmas 2006 - congratulations.

I'll think of you in the frozen north - off to South Africa for 3 weeks! Have fun.
Not you fault for living in a convenient location. Pity it's near Wigan though......

--
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Dwight Van Driver
Adam

Just a suggestion or so.

Be autocratic and fix the venue and date/time. Circulate and those that are prepared to attend can post their intention. I'm sure a Landlord can cope with only a couple of days notice of numbers.

Or.... from the location of those that have intimated an intention to attend, plot these on a map. Draw North/South and East/West lines from the f***hest out. Where they meet in the middle would seem to be the most approprtiate venue?

dvd

North West Back Room Christmas Meet - Xileno {P}
DVD is right. Organising our office party is a nightmare if you try and take into account everyone's preferences and availability. So we just choose a date and hope as many as possible can make it.

Looks like the sweary thing is a bit too eager ;-)
what is a furt f u r t?
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Agree with DVD.

You choose the location and time Adam and we will turn up as best we can.

From what I can tell, most the places you have seen or will see are within a 15 mintues drive from each other maximum, so it will make little difference where you choose.

If you want a second opinion, get Mike to view, but otherwise, select a date and get on with it. BTW, I'm not available on 13th or 15th of December.

--
Furthest.

Dunno what DD was typing to upset the swear filter!
North West Back Room Christmas Meet - No FM2R
f.a.r.t.hest
Dunno what DD was typing to upset the swear filter!

Or even DVD.
You're right. Sorry - just trying to please everyone.

Sent a quick email to Mike to see what he says and then I'll pick one and then a date.

It will almost certainly be a place on the Lancs though so very easy for people.
Yes - if its within five miles of Haydock then even the Yorkshire crown could get to us in the same time almost as it takes to get to the Trafford Centre.
--
That makes me feel better.

I think it's between the Royal Oak and the Waterside. Both obvious from the Lancs and both within 5 minutes of Hadock so that's not a problem.

I'll see what Mike thinks and post back tomorrow.

Thanks for being so patient!
Sterling work there Adam, pick a time/date and I'm sure it'll work out.
--Lee .. SERENITY NOW
See you there Lee

Sometime, someplace................
--
For those travelling from the south of the region then the Royal Oak is a tad nearer as it's not far from the M57.
For those travelling from the south of the region then the
Royal Oak is a tad nearer as it's not far from
the M57.

Thats right - don't forget us Stokies!
Would we ever!

--