Cam belt problem? - Miller
I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a citroen ZX with the 1360cc engine fitted in every citroen/peugeot for the last 30 years. It has recently developed a 'ticking' noise, most notable at around 20/30 mph, but not at idle. I'm wondering if it could be a sign that the cam belt is about to break (I know nothing about engines and how they work.)

Looking in the handbook it states the belt should be changed at 72k, I bought it at 73k and assume it has not been done by the previous owner (is it possible to tell just by looking at it?) Current milage is 90k and apart from the formentioned noise it runs fine. Apreciate any ideas/suggestions, thanks.
Re: Cam belt problem? - Tom Shaw
I wouldn't know about the ticking noise, although some of the mechanics on the backroom would be able to help, but if you suspect that the belt has not been changed in 90k then I would have it done five minutes ago or the next noises the engine makes will be louder than a tick. I've had citroens and Pugs where the handbook recommends 72/80 thou belt changes, but the most I've ever gone without a new belt is 50,000.
Re: Cam belt problem? - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Change it NOW ! Also check carefully for any damaged teeth on the associated pulleys/rollers/ water pump etc, or any roughness in these bearings. For a couple of hours work and a £20 belt (pluss any other bits if found necessary) you will be avoiding a potential engine-wrecking eppisode. If the noise is still there then you have more investigation to do, but you MUST do the belt first/anyway.

Regards, Adam